Popular Science Archives~ All 137 Years worth

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
If you like PS, you'll love this new free access to their archives. Just located it today. IMHO nice reference location.

We've partnered with Google to offer our entire 137-year archive for free browsing. Each issue appears just as it did at its original time of publication, complete with period advertisements. It's an amazing resource that beautifully encapsulates our ongoing fascination with the future, and science and technology's incredible potential to improve our lives. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
In the future, we'll be adding more advanced features for searching and browsing, but for now, enter any keyword into the box below and dive in.
Search the PopSci Archives | Popular Science

And I am spending too much time online as it is. Now this. Oh well

I really enjoy reading the advertisements. I think it tells you a lot about a culture and era to see the emphasis in the ads - status, health etc. After WWII there were a bunch of make-money-at-home or in your own business type of ads. The cigarette ads are brazen - doctors pushing cigarettes, etc. There were a number of interesting uses for war surplus supplies - weather balloons, mounting aircraft engines in cars, etc. I spend a lot of my youth reading this stuff.

Cool. I found a 1944 issue that had a picture of the foxhole radio I built ~1958. It used a razor blade and a safety pin as the crystal diode.

Oh lordy, I found the issue with the do-it-yourself laser project in it. I desperately wanted to build it, but the ruby rod just cost too much. Anyway, I would have been 10 at the time - way to young to tackle something like that.

Archive Viewer | Popular Science

Thank you for posting the link.

Does this mean that my brother's collection from 1948 to 1970 is worth less today?

Fortunately I sold them to a dealer during his estate sale (for 50 cents each) last July.

Back
Top Bottom