Porcupine Guard Hair

Accidental Retiree ^ not my intent, so why did u comment that:confused: What would you title the thread:confused:

Last edited:
Accidental Retiree ^ not my intent, so why did u comment that:confused: What would you title the thread:confused:

It’s a great title; nothing is wrong with it, and it is an interesting thread.

It was my little attempt at a joke that fell flat.

Sometimes my Texan humor doesn’t translate very well. Sorry.

I'm happy to hear that because that would be the last thing, I would want to be accused of.
Just thought it maybe something different to read if interested in the subject. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks @Street.
Another fine example of how this community continues to be an expansive learning experience.

OP - This is very interesting, I never thought about porcupines besides their sharp quills. When I was young, our dog got too close to one, had around 20 quills stuck in the nose. It meant a trip to the vet which was 100 miles away.

So how do you get the guard hair, I'm guessing you shoot the porcupine, but then do you just wear gloves and pull out the hair, or shave it off ?
Is there any market for the quills ?

Also the Native American use it for their headdress (rouch). They want long hair (over 6 inch plus) for these headdresses, so they get that flopping and spring back up action. If never seen a pow wow it would absolutely be an interesting event for most.

Street, a couple of years ago DW & I attended the All Nations Pow Wow in Rapid City SD. I remember the ornate clothing & headdresses they wore for the dances. Here's a photo we got (sorry we're such bad photographers). We also have some video of the headdresses flowing & bouncing like you describe (but I guess I can't upload video here?)

Thanks for sharing about this. I can say I learned something today!

Attachments

• dance.jpg
    dance.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 31
They can be a huge problem here. They of course eat bark on trees and can devastate the trees. They like to eat the bark from brush, trees or any fruit/berry producing vegetation first. Eventually those very damaged trees die and is very dishearten to see what they do. I have been trying to reduce the population on my place and trying to have that balance.

The hair is a favorite for fly fisherman for tying flies. The hair has great properties of floatation, durable and strength one of the best. So, there is demand there.

Also the Native American use it for their headdress (rouch). They want long hair (over 6 inch plus) for these headdresses, so they get that flopping and spring back up action. If never seen a pow wow it would absolutely be an interesting event for most.
That is interesting, I’m always up to learn new things. Thanks.

OP - This is very interesting, I never thought about porcupines besides their sharp quills. When I was young, our dog got too close to one, had around 20 quills stuck in the nose. It meant a trip to the vet which was 100 miles away.

So how do you get the guard hair, I'm guessing you shoot the porcupine, but then do you just wear gloves and pull out the hair, or shave it off ?
Is there any market for the quills ?

Sad but that is the procedure after trapping them. They have dens and are easy to find those dens. Wear light and tight gloves and be careful! Lol You always get a poke it seems but I can tell you even with one or two they are painful.

I'm one that is a steward of conservation and so glad that the hair can be used for someone else's pleasure or treasure.

Thanks again to everyone.

I like that!

street, thanks so much for sharing this fascinating topic. I learn so much here and financial stuff can get old after a while. Thanks for brightening my day!

street, thanks so much for sharing this fascinating topic.
+1. I have about 30 Gambel and WavyLeaf Oaks I planted at the back of my property several years ago. I believe their bark is a favorite food for porcupines, so I went out and gave them a good inspection today. No damage noted. :)

I thank you for sharing your comments and I also have learned new things other then money matters.

About 34 years ago, the young wife and I were backpacking through the Allegheny National Forest on the border of Pennsylvania and New York. At the end of one day, we set up our tent and climbed in. Not too long after, we heard noises outside, so I got up to check it out. When I exited the tent, I saw several porcupines eating our backpacks, and about a dozen more climbing down out of the trees to join in the fun. It was like Invasion of the Porcupines. I had been smart enough to hang our food in a bag 100 yards or so away (in case of bears), but that wasn't what they wanted. They were instead quite enamored of the leather tiedown points on the packs. So I got a stick and chased them away long enough to drag the packs inside the tent. The whole time, the young wife was scolding me to be careful that they don't shoot their quills into me. After I got the packs inside, they left us alone, and they were gone when we woke up. Probably back up in the trees.

Last edited:
Gumby that is funny! They love salt and anything that has sodium they will attack it. Plywood they will eat away in a hurry, and I was told it has a sodium or salt taste not sure if it is in the glue or what but they love plywood.

I beleive in the curing process technology an alkali, usually sodium solution is used. That would be all it takes for them to be attracted to it.

One myth is that porcupines will shoot their quills but that isn't true. You have to touch them and then they will embed quills in the object that touches them. They will spin around if you get close and try to make contact with the intruder. Their short 8 inch tail and their back side is the side they keep to there enemy.

Attachments

• IMG_5822.jpg
    IMG_5822.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Reactions: BC
GravitySucks >> oh you wouldn't believe the dogs I have seen through the years with needles in there mouth nose and eyes. It is a horrible thing to see if you are a pet owner. I know of dogs that are blind from the needles that where embedded in the eyes. I'm talking thousands of needles in the face area alone.

Through the years I sold from 42$ to 32$ an ounce. A couple of weeks ago I sent 7 ounces out for 32$ an ounce. I guess after all there was some financial talk in this thread after all. Lol
How they heck do you comb them?
Can you post a video?

Edit:
Read a bit further.
Please don't video. Of course they're dead before you could attempt this.
I'd never making out in the wild. I don't even know where tacos live let alone how to trap them.

Last edited:
Gumby that is funny! They love salt and anything that has sodium they will attack it. Plywood they will eat away in a hurry, and I was told it has a sodium or salt taste not sure if it is in the glue or what but they love plywood.

When I was young, we had to chop lots of wood each summer to store for next year to dry out.
We would sweat a lot doing the chopping, so the rule was to put the axes in the wood shed when done so porcupines wouldn't chew on the handles.

I don't know if it's true that they would chew them, but putting the axes away carefully was easier than replacing a handle.

^Sunset Interesting!
I would say that is why the porcupine would chew the handles because of the salty residue. Your family knew from experience that for some reason, they wanted to chew on the handles.
Even if they know why or not, it was most likely why they wanted those handles.

Koolau >>> True!!

street--very interesting info.
I attended a Pow Wow many years ago, it was so beautiful and sacred. The drumming and dancing just gets to your soul.
I learn so much from folks here!

I'd never making out in the wild. I don't even know where tacos live let alone how to trap them.

I know what you mean, I'm a child of suburbia. On a summer camp hike one time we came upon a pile of milk bottles in a field and I thought for sure we'd stumbled upon a cow's nest.

Back
Top Bottom