Porcupine Guard Hair

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have had some porcupine guard hair that needed cleaning so I have been getting it cleaned up in my spare time. The porcupine has hair and fur. When you pluck or pull the long guard hair you get small amounts of fur along with the hair.
You then take a small amount and hold in hand in a circle shape and drop/tap hair on hard surface. This brings the fur to the bottom (white end of hair) then you can extract that fur from the hair. The fur is very different in looks and texture to identify. I also have a wide tooth (5 to 7 teeth) comb to comb through to extract the fur. I know this is way off base from financing but financing can get boring sometimes. Lol
Here is a few pictures of the end process.

Attachments

• IMG_5734.jpg
    IMG_5734.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_5745 (1).jpg
    IMG_5745 (1).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 431
Lots of questions...

Why do you need a special type of hair to guard against porcupines?

Why does it have to be clean, does it work more efficiently than when it is dirty?

Porcupines aren't a big problem here in TX, do you think it will also guard against scorpions?

On a more serious note:

What do you do with that hair? Assuming you sell it but what is it’s final usage?

They can be a huge problem here. They of course eat bark on trees and can devastate the trees. They like to eat the bark from brush, trees or any fruit/berry producing vegetation first. Eventually those very damaged trees die and is very dishearten to see what they do. I have been trying to reduce the population on my place and trying to have that balance.

The hair is a favorite for fly fisherman for tying flies. The hair has great properties of floatation, durable and strength one of the best. So, there is demand there.

Also the Native American use it for their headdress (rouch). They want long hair (over 6 inch plus) for these headdresses, so they get that flopping and spring back up action. If never seen a pow wow it would absolutely be an interesting event for most.

Last edited:
They can be a huge problem here. They of course eat bark on trees and can devastate the trees. They like to eat the bark from brush, trees or any fruit/berry producing vegetation first. Eventually those very damaged trees die and is very dishearten to see what they do. I have been trying to reduce the population on my place and trying to have that balance.

The hair is a favorite for fly fisherman for tying flies. The hair has great properties of floatation, one of the best. So, there is demand there.

Also the Native American use it for their headdress (rouch). They want long hair (over 6 inch plus) for these headdresses, so they get that flopping and spring back up action. If never seen a pow wow it would absolutely be an interesting event for most.

very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hair is a favorite for fly fisherman for tying flies. The hair has great properties of floatation, one of the best. So, there is demand there.

The stuff you learn on this forum!! Thanks for sharing.

I clicked on this post just to see what the heck porcupine guard hair was.

On an average porcupine guard hair, you may get a half ounce of guard hair from one porcupine, some more some less. So, it takes a while to accumulate very much. Another fact from natures lesson today. Lol

Last edited:
I read that fishers are top predators of porcupines and help keep their population in check. Wonder if you have any of those in your area?

austin944 there are some but not a huge population to keep them in check. Even the highest on the food chain will walk away from tackling a porky. Natures wild animals (coyotes, wolf, lion, bobcat) will not touch them. They might try one time and will learn a lesson for a life time.

Isn't the guard hair also used for certain artists' brushes?

As soon as you mentioned Indian headdresses, I remembered something I'd read decades ago about how they are made, including the porcupine hairs. As a small girl, I was fascinated by everything Native American, especially how they made and decorated their ceremonial clothing (regular White people's ceremonial clothes seemed so dull by contrast). I would truly love to see a pow-wow.

TIL
Thanks.

Amethyst, you sure could be right on the hair being used for artist brushes. It is a very unique natural resource that is for sure. The colour of the hair is one of nature.

If you ever have a chance to see a pow wow I beleive you would see a culture that would make an impression of time long gone.

Identifying & Preventing Porcupine Damage to Trees
Thiram is registered as a repellent for rodents and rabbits, and has incidentally repelled porcupines, as well...

Protection of trees through regular fencing, low strung electrical fencing, and trapping are the most efficient methods for reducing damage...

If a porcupine has young, transport the entire family if possible. Porcupines have their young from April to May and the juveniles stay with the females for the first summer of their lives...Most animal control officers suggest moving porcupines 10-20 miles away in a wooded area that is not inhabited by humans

I've seen porcupines around here and seen what they can do to a large dog. I sure as heck ain't gonna try to comb one!
You're a braver man than I Street.

Well, I just decided to quite complaining about my possums and skunks...

GravitySucks >> oh you wouldn't believe the dogs I have seen through the years with needles in there mouth nose and eyes. It is a horrible thing to see if you are a pet owner. I know of dogs that are blind from the needles that where embedded in the eyes. I'm talking thousands of needles in the face area alone.

Through the years I sold from 42$ to 32$ an ounce. A couple of weeks ago I sent 7 ounces out for 32$ an ounce. I guess after all there was some financial talk in this thread after all. Lol

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Learned something new and cool today - thanks. :)

Years ago I did an HR audit of Basic American Foods potato processing facility in Idaho. They had a union contract that covered all their facilities but because that facility is located near a reservation they had a need to accommodate tribal members who wished to attend pow wows. The HR Manager asked that those who wished to attend to fill out paperwork and absence on account of pow wow was treated as a religious observation.

One of my son's classmates was a descendent of Chief Joseph, who is highly regarded in the PNW. He brought Chief Joseph's ceremonial headdress to a family history event. That headdress was closely guarded by tribal members.

That is interesting Brat.
The headdresses are very sacred, protected and used only for ceremony/religion events. Here is a Roach from porcupine hair.
Thanks for taking a look and I know it isn't for everyone but can be interesting seeing/learning something new.

Attachments

• Headdress.jpg
    Headdress.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 167
We have a large one living in the woods behind the property. I've seen him once or twice at dusk.

So,.. what ? The porcupine goes along with this harvesting process as they have a strong culture of altruism ? :cool::LOL:

Or is this a post mortem harvesting ? Perhaps along the highway side ?

We have a large one living in the woods behind the property. I've seen him once or twice at dusk.

So,.. what ? The porcupine goes along with this harvesting process as they have a strong culture of altruism ? :cool::LOL:

Or is this a post mortem harvesting ? Perhaps along the highway side ?

Take a wild guess!!!

Back
Top Bottom