Portable propane generators

..... Decided to purchase a Bluetti portable power station; a 2,000 Ah lithium battery with inverter providing 12 and 115 volt power. ....
https://shopsolarkits.com/collectio...ducts/bluetti-ac200p-portable-solar-generator

That's 2000 "watt-hours", not "amp-hours", so 2 kWh.

So for ref, someone wanting to keep their fridge or freezer running, assuming ~ 500 watts running - this would give them 4 hours use until needing a recharge. Then what?

I suppose you could use a generator during the day to recharge it, to keep night time noise down.

-ERD50

....... Decided to purchase a Bluetti portable power station.....
While these are convenient, it is a lot more cost effective to just buy lithium batteries to upgrade the RV's house batteries and add an inverter.

While these are convenient, it is a lot more cost effective to just buy lithium batteries to upgrade the RV's house batteries and add an inverter.

Yes, if you are willing to give up portability and don't mind doing a bit of wiring, you can save some money.

2400 Wh (100Ah 24V) LPF battery: $544
3 kW pure-sinewave inverter/charger: $415

That's 2000 "watt-hours", not "amp-hours", so 2 kWh.

So for ref, someone wanting to keep their fridge or freezer running, assuming ~ 500 watts running - this would give them 4 hours use until needing a recharge. Then what?

I suppose you could use a generator during the day to recharge it, to keep night time noise down.

-ERD50

Well, fridges do not run continuously.

My auxiliary 25 c.f. fridge draws 2 kWh over 24 hours. That's because we do not open it much.

My main 32 c.f. fridge draws more than 5 kWh over 24 hours.

That's a great deal for that unit.

One note of caution. Note this warning at the bottom of the page -

"HEY! THIS BOX IS ORANGE FOR A REASON! IT'S IMPORTANT YOU READ THIS! This thing requires fuel, so it can't be returned to Woot. Once you buy one, it's yours. Warranty claims can still go through the manufacturer, of course. THANK YOU FOR READING, ORANGE BOX CONCLUDES NOW."

So, YMMV and all that.

One note of caution. Note this warning at the bottom of the page -

"HEY! THIS BOX IS ORANGE FOR A REASON! IT'S IMPORTANT YOU READ THIS! This thing requires fuel, so it can't be returned to Woot. Once you buy one, it's yours. Warranty claims can still go through the manufacturer, of course. THANK YOU FOR READING, ORANGE BOX CONCLUDES NOW."

So, YMMV and all that.

I suspect WOOT couldn't fix it even if they took it back.

Well, fridges do not run continuously.

My auxiliary 25 c.f. fridge draws 2 kWh over 24 hours. That's because we do not open it much.

My main 32 c.f. fridge draws more than 5 kWh over 24 hours.

Right, I probably should have added more context. That 4 hours run time would probably be good for keeping things cold for 24 hours by limiting how often the door is opened.

-ERD50

A 2-kWh battery can get one through the night if his usage is frugal. He still needs to run a generator to recharge it during the day, but at least the generator will not be running non-stop.

That Bluetti has a built-in solar charger of 700W. That's the capacity of 2 standard residential solar panels. Buy 2 panels and throw them out in the backyard or wherever there's sunlight. You may not need to run the genset at all. No noise, no worry about running out of fuel.

Again, you can do the same thing for less than $1K as I suggested in an earlier post. Spend the difference on 2 PV panels, and you still have money leftover. Or you can spend the money on more batteries and more PV panels. The more the merrier.

I shared the advisory from NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) on another thread. This summer, much of the US is susceptible to power outages. I feel pretty good now with my DIY solar+battery which can run the ACs and nearly the entire house. Else, I would be sure to get my motorhome-mounted genset ready to hookup to my home.

10965-albums220-picture2644.png

Last edited:
Picked up a 5 kw Champion dual fuel inverter generator a year ago, installed a manual transfer switch and poured a 10’ x 10’ concrete pad and 5’ wide walkway to make it easier to roll the generator out from the garage and into place. All in cost was right around $2k but I did all the labor for electrical install and concrete work.

My system will run all interior and exterior house lights, one large fridge and the critically important bar mini-fridge. House is 2,600 sqft. Not enough power in my set up to run the HVAC though.

I have two 40 pound propane tanks and three 30 pound tanks which will power the generator for week+.

System is relatively quiet, fuel efficient and easy to deploy.

........ Not enough power in my set up to run the HVAC though...........
Is the problem the surge current or the running current? You might be able to use an EasyStart to run just the AC only while other large consumers are temporarily off.

Limitation on my 5kw home backup power system … not enough power from generator to run all circuits + AC … is insufficient running current.

Limitation on my 5kw home backup power system … not enough power from generator to run all circuits + AC … is insufficient running current.

You turn everything else off and cool down the house. A bit of a pain, but it will probably work.

You turn everything else off and cool down the house. A bit of a pain, but it will probably work.
Exactly. My house has an interlock for generator input and I have to selectively manage power usage by flipping breakers to not exceed the generator's output.

Thanks for the ideas about juggling generator input at my transfer panel to alternate between AC usage and all other demands (light/fridge,etc).

I have two empty slots on my transfer panel and I’ll have to open that up and wire in my Air Con circuit so I can alternate and balance between cool air and other house power demands.

We are quickly approaching the season (Dry windy summer) when PG&E flips our power off when the breeze blows. All indicators point to another very bad fire season.

Is the problem the surge current or the running current? You might be able to use an EasyStart to run just the AC only while other large consumers are temporarily off.

This device looks very interesting. I am intrigued. However, the earlier poster's 5-kW generator is not that big. It still depends on the size of the AC.

Most newer large homes use 2 central ACs. Instead of a large 5-ton AC, they have a 2-ton and a 3-ton units. You can then choose which one you want to run on the genset. I think a 5-kW generator can run a 3-ton unit, using the easystart device.

This device looks very interesting. I am intrigued. However, the earlier poster's 5-kW generator is not that big. It still depends on the size of the AC.

Most newer large homes use 2 central ACs. Instead of a large 5-ton AC, they have a 2-ton and a 3-ton units. You can then choose which one you want to run on the genset. I think a 5-kW generator can run a 3-ton unit, using the easystart device.
That's true, but of course it depends on where you live. Back in Michigan I had quite a small whole house AC both due to the mild summers and to do a better job of dehumidification. And if one has a minisplit, so much the better for efficiency.

For what it's worth, I purchased the Honda EU7000IS, which plugs into an L14-30P 240VAC input box on the side of the house. It powers the whole load center using a 2-pole 30A breaker and interlock kit. I can't run the main HVAC unit, but it takes care of the rest of the house with no issue. I also purchased an MSK7000 tri-fuel kit and modified the generator to run on either gasoline, natural gas or propane. I usually use natural gas. It's an expensive unit as far as portable generators, but very quiet and half the price of one of those whole house units you need a company to install. Hondas have great resale value, and I can take this one with me when I move.

I had the Honda EU7000IS generator for a number of years before getting a whole house generator last year.

The Honda EU7000IS is a beast and is very quiet.

Gen set

Looks like dual fuel is easier to find; that would be fine. Are there any big safety problems with just running the refrigerator off of a heavy gauge extension cord? 25 foot max would easily reach. I wasn't planning on hooking up any actual house circuits; just one or two extension cords. Champion seems to be a popular brand with mostly good reviews.

I have one of the 2K Honda inverters. Happy with it. I built a 25’ cable with high strand flexible 4.0 cable. Terminates to a quad box. I plug fridges and freezer in. I have some 12v LiFePo batteries that I use for LED lighting as needed. Gen set or Solar will charge them.

If you get multifuel, check the output on each fuel. Propane and natural gas reduce the generator output.

The Honda is quiet, fuel efficient and you can always parallel a second one to double the load capacity if needed or split them up to put power where needed.

Another benefit to these is you can take it to picnics, camping or power tools if needed.

But what you need.

GW

We run a 10K tri-fuel for a whole house (Firman from Costco) with a manual interlock switch. But for your requirements, I would not hesitate to buy a 2KW Honda Inverter Generator. I am not sure they offer propane or dual fuel.

Good timing on this thread as I am looking at backup power for my home and just installed a security system for when the power goes out and there is a potential for unwanted intruders in the neighborhood. I originally looked at battery power but have come to the conclusion that it is not enough. I have also come to the conclusion that a whole house generator is what I need even though we currently rarely loose power. I think that power outages will become more common in the future and with power out vulnerability increases in this day and age. Currently looking at Generac and Kohler. My brother has 2 Kohlers and I am leaning that way even though they are a little more expensive and I see many horror stories on line about the Generacs.

Back
Top Bottom