Post your comfortable shoe recommendations here

Brooks Racer ST5 and Teva Katavi sandals are my favorites.

Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe thanks to the recommendations from this Site!
I bought a pair of those for backpacking too. They are wonderfully comfortable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My Teva Tirra sandals are great in the summertime or when it's rainy. No toe fungus here, but they don't get soggy when I wade through puddles (like my New Balance running shoes do).
I use Chaco Classic sandals for the same purpose, but all year round. I hate wet shoes and socks. These being rubber really can't get wet, and no socks = no wet socks. They have Vibram soles so very good traction.

I wouldn't wear them in snow, but we haven't had any snow to speak of since i bought them several years ago. I do wear them year around, if it is either hot or wet.

Ha

My Teva Tirra sandals are great in the summertime or when it's rainy.
Me too and to give my left foot a break (plantar fascitis and an old broken bone) a pair of lace-up Joyas.

For dressy events, Sketcher GoWalk2 slip-ons.

Sanuk Vagabond or Sidewalk Surfer shoes - cushy flip flop sole, full cloth upper. Loose fitting, comfortable. Yeah. These are my go-to for a lot of stuff, travel, dog walks, etc.

Re: Hoka One One.

I'm on my fourth pair of Clifton 2s, (actually third and fourth as I rotate through two pairs at a time) for running. Brilliant shoe for neutral/midfoot striking distance runners. Probably not so good for a lot of other people, but I love them.

Due to plantar fasciitis:
Merrill Moabs with orthotic insert and San Antonio Shoe semi dressy lace up shoes.

Like asking me which child I like the best:

Vass Budapest wingtip
Crockett & Jones Weymouth wholecut
Alden monk strap
John Lobb Lopez loafer
Crockett & Jones Horween shell cordovan blucher
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue
Ferragamo bit loafer

With the first 3 the fit is so perfect that I don't feel like I'm wearing anything, and the upper is of exceptional leather. I have perhaps 20 pair of other shoes that "fit" and are comfortable, but not like the above 7.

So I can't make a universal recommendation as it's really a question of fit, unless you're having bespoke shoes made in which case they will all fit perfectly, be well-made, and therefore be extremely comfortable.
Vass has enough options to almost get that bespoke fit:

http://www.vass-shoes.com/en/howtoorder

For hiking shoes I have Keens, but solely because they happen to fit better than the equally well-made Merrells.

In lieu of the Rolex, this will be my retirement gift:

http://www.edwardgreen.com/custom-made

Last edited:
Flat feet here, moccasin style shoes, docksiders boat shoes or weejuns for formal wear.

f_66629_1.1.jpg

Roach killers, albeit expensive ones...

Digression: on a hike with the Scouts, one of the volunteer adults tried hiking 26 miles and change in "western boots". I believe he hiked the last several miles in his socks...

I started wearing Dansko clogs 1 1/2 years ago. They look sorta dorky but my feet appreciate them.

I walked the hard floors of a grocery store daily in my former life. I tried these one day and then threw out all my other shoes. I found them to be nice and roomy in the toe box.

I still wear them all the time. I even wore them for a day at Silver Dollar City (lots of hills!) and I wear them hiking.

You have to learn to walk in them. The hard flat sole can hit uneven ground and cause you to twist your ankle. Some people have a problem with that.

Sanita is supposed to be the same but I don't find them as comfortable.

I have been living in Danskos for 16 years. Some of the different soles (higher heel) have not been as comfortable as the ones in the professional line, so I stick with them. I have tried Sanitas as well and do not find them as comfortable. I have high arches and my feet get really tired without good arch support.

Another line I like are Troentorp swedish clogs that have a wooden footbed so even more arch support.

I may also revisit Birkenstocks which I lived in when I was in college.

Discovered Asics wide 4E for hiking and all around use. It's more comfortable and durable than Nike's wide running shoes. Of course, flip flops...

Speaking of flip flops - I found Telic (used to be called Terox) flip flops that are very cushiony and they have arch support. They are one of the few things I can wear with the heel spurs / plantar fasciitis. Also got a pair for DH.

Boots: I have a pair of Lucchese ostrich and a pair of Justin boots. Both wonderful once broken in; I've walked all day in the Justin's (but not 26 miles!).

Sandals: Birkenstock all the way.

Dressy: Thierry Rabotin, from the selections on sale (note sale items not returnable, and they are pricey even on sale). Some of their designs are getting garish but I have some good classic ones.

I am in the market for a good pair of walking shoes I can use while traveling, so I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if anybody could add anything to it.

Any followup information or new information is appreciated.

My wife loves her Ecco’s. I love my Olukai’s. We both just bought Rover’s from Portugal and have found them to be super comfortable.

Another Ecco fan - for daily dress and casual shoes they are the best. I love my black leather Ecco tennis shoes, and wear them regularly.

And New Balance 990v4 for exercise, mostly fast walking.

Both companies are great examples of why cost shouldn't always be the most important consideration when choosing between products. They are worth every extra penny.

(for flip-flop fans, my local surf shop has them all, and Cobian is my favorite. Super comfortable and stylish. My guilty pleasure is the cheap Mexican brown leather Huaraches with tire tread soles.)

Last edited:
I loved my Skechers Harmony tennis shoes. I have a small seed corn in the middle of the ball of my right foot. When I walked wearing these shoes, I could not feel any pain. I bought a different pair of Skechers and the sole of the shoe is not as thick, and I can feel pain if I walk on a small pebble. Amazon has a few pairs, but not my size. It looks like they have newer models and are not making the Harmony anymore.

Back
Top Bottom