Power outages.

I'd love a Honda generator, but BIG bucks. DW and I can usually tough it out, but 3yo DD gets cold quick!

To clifp's question: The time it takes to get the power back on varies by how big the problem is, bt it is fair to say that it takes longer than it used to here in the Dayton area. The guy who helped me install a new home electrical panel is a retired DP&L lineman, and said they have cut back their repair capability to the bone. The regional power comapnies appear to have effective agreements to provide mutual assistance when there is a widespread local outage, but it can take days for the trucks to arrive from distant states. Plus, sometimes the weather outfoxes the planners: This year the DP&L crews mobilized to help folks in a neighboring region, then a windstorm hit Dayton while they were gone. That resulted in an extended outage for many.

We've got a large manual-start gasoline generator (it had to be big to run the well pump). We haven't used it yet. I also bought some small propane heaters for use indoors, along with lots of 16 oz propane bottles. It's not a very elegant solution, but we should be able to keep one room comfortable for a week or so, and I will run the generator briefly every few hours to allow the furnace to run (keep the pipes from freezing), pump some water into the bathtub and sink if needed, and keep the food cold in the 'fridge.

I know people in FL who have a small generator and a room AC unit as part of their hurricane kit. I'm sure the AC would feel great for a few hours, but I don't know how practical it would be to run the generator and AC all the time.

I know people in FL who have a small generator and a room AC unit as part of their hurricane kit. I'm sure the AC would feel great for a few hours, but I don't know how practical it would be to run the generator and AC all the time.
We're not in FL and don't have a hurricane kit, but we do have a separate room (converted screened porch) with it's own AC/heat pump. We can power it and the refrigerator, the freezer and a small TV with our gas generator. Worked great a few years ago when an electrical storm destroyed a major substation and 6,000 homes had no electricity for 36 hours - in July.:p

Worked great a few years ago when an electrical storm destroyed a major substation and 6,000 homes had no electricity for 36 hours - in July.:p

After Katrina, a guy at work circulated E-mails about people in New Orleans got what they deserved for living in hurricane prone areas.

With us being all Arizonans, I told them to imagine the following scenario. Phoenix in a 120 deg day. Total power black out due to unforeseen demand, and unpredicted equipment outage with insufficient reserve capacity. Older people were dying in their homes due to heat stroke. Citizens fleeing for cooler climates face gas shortage due to gas stations not being able to pump. General panic due to food spoilage. Lack of running water causes home owners with swimming pools to guard their houses with guns.

Far fetched, maybe. But it surely shut him up. :bat:

Anyway, here's the record temperature in Phoenix

122°F on June 26, 1990;
121°F on July 28, 1995;
120°F on June 25, 1990;
118°F on July 16, 1925, June 24, 1929, July 11, 1958, July 4, 1989, June 27, 1990, June 28, 1990, July 27, 1995, and July 21, 2006.

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom