Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Bought 25 quick pick tickets for tonight.
I forgot to buy a Power Ball ticket, could you spare one? What's a quick pick ticket?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I forgot to buy a Power Ball ticket, could you spare one?
I'll let you know tomorrow.

Quote:
What's a quick pick ticket?
Random number generated tickets. (To lazy to pick my own numbers and fill out the forms)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #63

It turns out that DW did buy a couple yesterday when she filled up the car. Estimated jackpot $550 mil. Okay, at least half for taxes, there's still room for that 700 hp Dodge Charger....

Conversation earlier about the tickets:

Me: "What on earth would we actually do with all that money?"

Her: "What do you mean 'we', poor boy?"
Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #64

That reminds me of a joke.

She to He: What would you do if I won the lottery?

He: I'd take my half and then I'd leave you!

She: Well, I did win the lottery last night. In fact, I won $12. Here's your half and there's the door!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #65

Quote:
I'll let you know tomorrow.

Random number generated tickets. (To lazy to pick my own numbers and fill out the forms)

Did not know random number generated ticket was called quick pick. I just ask the man behind the counter for 2 tickets. I thought he ripped me off when I only got 1 ticket...then he showed me the 2 lines of numbers.
Good luck to you!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't play, and the best part is I have almost exactly as much of a chance of winning as those who do.
Glad you didn't play the two DW and I won. In 2001 DW won 10K on a military fund raiser. In 2012 I won the LaBatts beer sweepstakes. A 2011 Polaris Snow Mobile. Have won a few other much smaller lotto's (100 bucks a few times). Probably spend 80-100 bucks per year on lottery tickets. DO NOT expect to win. I actually want to win the one right after the big. Noone will care about little old me.

I spend a few bucks on donuts every once in awhile. They don't do anything for me either.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It turns out that DW did buy a couple yesterday when she filled up the car. Estimated jackpot $550 mil. Okay, at least half for taxes, there's still room for that 700 hp Dodge Charger....

Conversation earlier about the tickets:

Me: "What on earth would we actually do with all that money?"

Her: "What do you mean 'we', poor boy?"
You are short changing yourself. The Dodge Charger (Hellcat) is rated at 707 hp, and not a measly 700. Better buy two in case one breaks.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did not know random number generated ticket was called quick pick. I just ask the man behind the counter for 2 tickets. I thought he ripped me off when I only got 1 ticket...then he showed me the 2 lines of numbers.
Good luck to you!
Good luck to you too. Us car folks need to stick together. Just think, if you win, you could buy another 63 Vette restored to factory new condition and have enough left over to fill it up a few times..
Old 01-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #69

Bought my tickets now to wait for my big win!! I may be waiting a long long time though. It's fun to have the fantasy for a few hours anyway.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Glad you didn't play the two DW and I won. In 2001 DW won 10K on a military fund raiser. In 2012 I won the LaBatts beer sweepstakes. A 2011 Polaris Snow Mobile. Have won a few other much smaller lotto's (100 bucks a few times).
Fair enough, I was talking about the "big" lotto games that are in the headlines.

Your odds on those smaller games are much better. Raffles and door prizes are also fun. Since I never win anything, I always give the money to DW or some other friend/relative to buy the raffle tickets. She once won a 50/50 worth a few hundred. Still a fraction of what we've paid to play over the years, but cheap entertainment anyway.

I've heard you can do well entering store survey raffles and the like. For a while I'd take the survey every time I got a receipt with a link to one. Then I read the fine print. There's always something like "one entry per xx months per household." Unless I read and followed all the rules, they'd probably disqualify me if I won anyway.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Another favorite lottery joke:

Guy comes home, and tells the wife: "Pack your bags, I hit the lottery jackpot!"

Wife: "Oh, how great! Where to?"

Guy: "I don't care, just pack your bags and go!"
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #72

1 winner sold in NH.
$570M
Wasn't me.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #73

Quote:
You are short changing yourself. The Dodge Charger (Hellcat) is rated at 707 hp, and not a measly 700. Better buy two in case one breaks.
Well, as it turns out the Hellcat has slipped back into daydream territory, as astonishingly, neither of the two tickets won anything. Oh well, the dreams were fun while it lasted and that's all I expected.

So far, the only thing I've ever won was a free Coke at Jerry's Sub Shop.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #74

Now I was planning on the money! They owe me the money! The winner in NH stole my money!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Now I was planning on the money! They owe me the money! The winner in NH stole my money!
She/he sure is looking cute though....
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #76

I don’t play the lottery but it’s hard for me to understand why some people think it would be so terrible to win. I think it would be pretty awesome! Even if you didn’t want to change anything about your own lifestyle, you could use the net of tax proceeds to help causes of your choice.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #77

The problem is no privacy; only a handful of states allow you to remain anonymous. That makes you a huge target for crime, even violent crime. Not to mention friends and relatives hitting you up. And people trying to date you or marry you for your money. No thank you.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
The problem is no privacy; only a handful of states allow you to remain anonymous. That makes you a huge target for crime, even violent crime. Not to mention friends and relatives hitting you up. And people trying to date you or marry you for your money. No thank you.
^ What she said. You'd forever question the motives of anyone who wanted to be your friend.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
You would have to live in a high security gated community. That would be #1 on my list. As far as the rest goes.......

Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You would have to live in a high security gated community.
My husband said the same thing too. I had told him that I'd still stay in my house, but he said we had to move to a more secure place.

The only time I play is when we do a group thing at work and only because I don't want to be stuck w/all their work when they all leave at the same time! However, I do like the attitude of buying a couple of dollars so that you can daydream...not a bad idea!
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote