Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Prairie dogs violate Denver Airport noise limits
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Prairie dogs violate Denver Airport noise limits

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...17/detail.html

No word on problems involving stuffed beavers...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Prairie dogs violate Denver Airport noise limits
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very true story. One of my engineer hats is "noise engineer". I conduct noise studies for road projects, new shopping centers (like Walmart) etc. Very frequently, I'll find that the only noise violation from a site comes from the frogs, birds, and crickets. 55-60 decibels from these critters is pretty common. If a proposed site is near a body of water, even a small pond, the ambient noise due to wildlife will pretty much ensure that the proposed development will violate the noise ordinances, because the ordinances don't specify where the noise can come from, just that it can't exist. The worst part is the nighttime permissible noise levels are usually lower than the daytime permissible noise levels. Guess when crickets and frogs make the most noise?

Occasionally, these frogs and crickets will cost our developer clients hundreds of thousands of dollars in noise remediation costs (noise walls, noise dampening materials, etc).

I was just telling the class I was teaching yesterday about this interesting little tidbit of noise knowledge. Funny this article just appeared!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well it didnt just appear...I posted it!

Would be sort of handy if stuff just appeared. That'd save me a lot of time...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote