Pre-order offer on 5G Samsung phones

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have an older Samsung S8 phone and am looking to upgrade to a 5G phone.

I happened to stumble across a limited-time pre-order offer directly from Samsung for their three S21 models of 5G phones. This pre-order pricing is less than what the retail pricing will be.

As part of this offer, Samsung is offering a up to $700 trade-in on select older phones ($250 for my phone), plus up to $200 towards accessories ($100 in my case) and a free Samsung SmartTag.

(I chatted with one of the online agents and she gave me a code which can used for another $50 off accessories 50LATESTGALAXY5G)

Delivery for most colors is by Jan 29.

https://www.samsung.com/us/smartpho.../galaxy-s21-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g991uzvaxaa/

Costco is offering a similar pre-order deal for the 5G Samsung S21 on select carrier phones (Verizon, T-mobile, AT&T). I haven't looked into the Costco details, as I want an unlocked phone which would need to be purchased from Samsung directly.

Maybe this should be in the Blow That Dough thread?

omni

If you happen to live in one of the relatively few real 5G areas, and you need a new phone, I'd seriously think about it. I work with a lab that is doing 5G testing, and they say the speed differences are significant. But they had to have a 5G environment set up specifically for the lab, even though they're only 15 miles or so outside of DC. There just aren't that many places that are truly 5G ready yet. I know it's not in Estero.

Personally, my 4G Samsung 10 still does everything I need, toot sweet. But I'm cheap, and a slow adopter. If you go for it, let us know how it compares.

Sunset, thanks for the article. From the article:

"5G is sort of a jumbled mess for consumers right now. But that might change soon. On February 11, Samsung will introduce its new Galaxy phones, which are expected to support all flavors of 5G."

The 5G Samsung Galaxy S21 series in the pre-offer are these^ phones. :)
--

harley, I'm usually a slow adopter of new tech, also. My current phone's battery is on the wane so I will soon need either a new battery, a new-to-me used phone, or a new phone.

Thus the fact that Samsung is effectively 'buying back' my old phone as part of this pre-offer is quite appealing.

--

I've been pleased with the 2-3 Samsung phones I've owned.

If anyone has suggestions for any new/used Android phones I should also consider, I'm "all ears".

omni

As part of this offer, Samsung is offering a up to $700 trade-in on select older phones ($250 for my phone), plus up to $200 towards accessories ($100 in my case) and a free Samsung SmartTag.

Be wary of this offer. Someone else posted on another thread about a similar offer from Samsung. He sent the phone in to Samsung, they claimed (unjustifiably according to poster) it was not in good condition, they then requested additional money, poster was working with customer service to resolve, and while that was ongoing Samsung turned it over for collection. Now it's a mess.

So, I would personally steer away from these types of offers, especially from Samsung based on that other site members experience.

A few months ago, we purchased a new Samsung A71 5G for DW and enrolled in T-Mobile 55+ plan - their deal was for 50% off the price, so it was $300, paid monthly (no interest) for 2 years.

A month later, I purchased the same Samsung A71 5G on Ebay for $284 (looks/functions good as new), and signed up on Mint's cheapest plan - $15/month (and they gave 3 free months with first 3). It's worked out great. Mint is on T-Mobile's network so I have the same quality of service as DW. My $15/month cheapo Mint plan get 3GB/month data, but they just announced they are upping it to 4GB with no change in price.

We are both having excellent experience with the A71 and 5G capability.

Be wary of this offer. Someone else posted on another thread about a similar offer from Samsung. He sent the phone in to Samsung, they claimed (unjustifiably according to poster) it was not in good condition, they then requested additional money, poster was working with customer service to resolve, and while that was ongoing Samsung turned it over for collection. Now it's a mess.

So, I would personally steer away from these types of offers, especially from Samsung based on that other site members experience.

A few months ago, we purchased a new Samsung A71 5G for DW and enrolled in T-Mobile 55+ plan - their deal was for 50% off the price, so it was $300, paid monthly (no interest) for 2 years.

A month later, I purchased the same Samsung A71 5G on Ebay for $284 (looks/functions good as new), and signed up on Mint's cheapest plan - $15/month (and they gave 3 free months with first 3). It's worked out great. Mint is on T-Mobile's network so I have the same quality of service as DW. My $15/month cheapo Mint plan get 3GB/month data, but they just announced they are upping it to 4GB with no change in price.

We are both having excellent experience with the A71 and 5G capability.

Wow, that sounds like an awful situation, Howie! Thanks for the "heads up" on Samsung's pre-offers. :(

Based on your recommendation, I'll definitely take a look at the A71.

omni

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds like an awful situation, Howie! Thanks for the "heads up" on Samsung's pre-offers. :(

Based on your recommendation, I'll definitely take a look at the A71.

omni

It's a superb phone for the price compared to others that are 5G.

This is the merchant I purchased from on Ebay - whether this merchant or another, just pick one which indicates it is unlocked for the network you plan to use it on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...-T-mobile-AT-T-Sprint-Unlocked-A/184404879977

I was hesitant purchasing a phone on Ebay, but eventually got comfortable purchasing from this particular merchant considering there was 99% positive ratings for over 90,000 purchasers.

Disclosure: I have no connection with Ebay or the seller linked to - just pointing out where I purchased the resale A71 in otherwise "new" condition for better price than what T-Mobile was including with their promotional purchase offer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom