Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So sorry old medic. Your dog had a really long life and I am sure a great one.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had our dog for 10 years before having a child. He is like a family member. Whenever we went on vacation, he always stayed with parents or in laws. We would never board or any of that garbage. He is 12 now and has a few years to go. With that being said, after our child was born, he is simply a dog. We love having him around, sleeps with us each night (which I wouldnt recommend, allowing pets to sleep in your bed) and has the good life. When he goes, I cant say I will be extremely upset and go into a depression like some people. We call him our furry child, but its nonsense. If you think a pet is the same as a human child you're delusional. And yes, we were once those people who valued our pet over people, and at that time we too were delusional.

We would pay for the service to have someone stop by the house and euthanize him whenever the time comes. Its probably only a couple hundred dollars more to do that than take him to the vet. Although he does like going to the vet. Doesnt even care when he gets shots. Ill probably dig a hole and burry him in the woods on our property. Let mother nature reclaim him instead of burning him to dust.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always tried to steel myself to that process, so that my furry friends don't think they are doing something wrong. But each and every time as they start administering the drugs, I start sobbing uncontrollably as I hold them. They really do become part of our families if even for a short time.

Heck... I couldn't write that couple of sentences without free flowing tears.

To the OP, I am glad you found out everything was OK.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry Gumby, ExFlyBoy5 and Old Medic. It is definitely so hard.

We lost 4 cats within the last 2 years. We originally had 5 cats. I swore up and down that I wanted no more animals. My DH really missed having a cat. When my daughter's family and us, decided that their cat would be happier living with us (due to 2 dogs that she did not like), we took her. Daisy, our cat, is around 11 years old. She is definitely happier here and doesn't spend 3/4 of her life hiding. My daughter's family sees her regularly. I am back to saying that once she is gone (hopefully not for a long time) that I want no more animals.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #105

Our last cat died two years ago and we decided not to get another one. The problem is that we have developed an enjoyment of traveling for up to a month at a time, and that's not a good thing for either the pet or for us.

Even though it was the right decision, there does seem to be an emptiness in the home, and I often find myself looking around and wondering where the critter is. There is a very good reason that dogs and cats have domesticated humans. It's a wonderful relationship.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:36 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my amazing best friend hero dog put down. He was crippled with arthritis. Problem hips for a couple of years, and very recently a front leg was becoming unusable. He was still wagging his tail whenever you looked his way, and no problems with appetite. The vet who came out said yep, often the labrador skeleton gives out before their spirit but it's a matter of getting him out of pain. He died in his cushy corner at home, a happy dog snarfing peanut butter cookies.

I want to recommend if it's offered in your area, especially for a big dog that can only walk with pain, but any dog really, using an at home euthanasia service. It's only a little more expensive than going to the vet office. The place I chose charged $795 for everything including individual cremation with ashes returned in a cedar box to your choice of vet and a clay paw print.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I'm sorry Medic. It is a huge void. I know you talked about going without for travel and camping in your retirement. We talk that talk too but last time I only lasted 3 days before rescuing our two.
LOL... Its been mentioned and DW vetoed any idea of another for now.
We went to tell our Grandson the news and he took it very well... said He felt sorry for him hurting that much. He was camping with us and seen how I had to lift him in and out of the camper several times... He was falling trying to climb the stairs.. Smart kid for 10.

Our vet charged $35, carried him in at 54 Lbs, sat with him the whole time, and brought him home and buried him beside his brothers out at the edge of the woods.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and words.