Join Early Retirement Today

Price of entry ....
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Price of entry ....

Last year, DW & I decided to join an exclusive golf club. Since we play 2 - 3 times a week (125 times a year plus or minus 20 times), the club membership cost divided by 125 was very good financial deal for us. Recently, we met up with other members who play very sparingly. How sparingly? Divided by number of times they play, they are paying $200 per round or more. Huh? That got me thinking that for these guys, joining the club was more important to them than making good use of it. I am a bit miffed by it but, hey, if they can afford it, why not?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Divided by number of times they play...
Then, divide it by the number of strokes you take. If you golf as well as I do, my cost per stroke would be pennies every time I played. I would be getting probably the best deal if I played as much as you.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Why ruin a low handicap?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

If it is a course within a neighborhood, some people will join to help keep the golf club solvent and preserve the green space. One of the two courses in our neighborhood club was shut down for financial reasons several years ago and we fear there will be new development on what was green space.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

I belonged to a fairly nice golf course for a number of years probably close to six or seven years. Even though I played this course quite often and no doubt got my monies worth I found that I also enjoyed playing other course, and did so. Right now my game is in the bucket and I play sparingly at different courses during the week and always get the seniors rate. Recently played a Jack N. Bear Trace course for $38 which isn't bad.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I once had neighbors who belonged to an exclusive golf club but didn't golf much because of bad knees. They were in it for the social aspect of the club, like the Sunday brunches and such.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
If it is a course within a neighborhood, some people will join to help keep the golf club solvent and preserve the green space. One of the two courses in our neighborhood club was shut down for financial reasons several years ago and we fear there will be new development on what was green space.
Not likely with this course. The course is doing very well.

I did my math wrong in OP. The two guys were playing about $300 - $350 per round based on how often they play. Admittedly, they are too busy.

We got our money's woth in 6 months , even after playing in other courses once in a while.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're only looking at the "dollars per game" aspect. Lots of people join golf/yacht clubs for the networking/social/business aspect which can be had without even setting foot on the green.

Someplace to take guests for dinner and drinks, meet contacts, make connections etc .
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You're only looking at the "dollars per game" aspect. Lots of people join golf/yacht clubs for the networking/social/business aspect which can be had without even setting foot on the green.

Someplace to take guests for dinner and drinks, meet contacts, make connections etc .
That's plausible although joining a country club is more advantageous for those seeking networking.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am a bit miffed by it but, hey, if they can afford it, why not?
They sound like perfect members, pay their dues but don't get in the way by using the course often!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
They sound like perfect members, pay their dues but don't get in the way by using the course often!
+Fore!

You should be thanking them (silently...we are on a golf course) every time you tee it up. They're subsidizing your play and are not even in the way.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #12

Many private clubs offer 'social memberships' for those who just want use of the club house, pool, restaurants, etc. At my club we tend to have members at the other end of the spectrum who never seem to take vacations and play golf 7 days a week and only skip golf if it's raining (which isn't often here in Arizona). The problem I found with playing one golf club exclusively is that your handicap doesn't travel well. If you have two 10 handicappers playing a match, one who plays multiple courses and one who plays only at his private club, the one who plays multiple courses will win most of the time (as long as they aren't playing at the other players private club).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Membership price is out of whack in relation to daily green fees here with local courses. Decent courses are around $1000 -$1200 with cart
privilege. I can get daily discounts off special golf websites for $15 a day with cart. I could not save money buying a membership. Though we do have a local 9 hole "goat ranch" that I pay $250 a year to walk and play to get some exercise that is worth the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Membership price is out of whack in relation to daily green fees here with local courses. Decent courses are around $1000 -$1200 with cart
privilege. I can get daily discounts off special golf websites for $15 a day with cart. I could not save money buying a membership.
Are the membership prices you quoted the fee for a year or a month? In my area $1200/year would be a great deal but if for a month then ridiculously high.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Are the membership prices you quoted the fee for a year or a month? In my area $1200/year would be a great deal but if for a month then ridiculously high.

This is for a year. Now keep in mind these are not posh resort or private big city courses. Just good solid 18 hole public courses with most not having any pool and tennis amenities. Just golf and drink beer in the clubhouse.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is for a year. Now keep in mind these are not posh resort or private big city courses. Just good solid 18 hole public courses with most not having any pool and tennis amenities. Just golf and drink beer in the clubhouse.

Sign me up, please!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

As our kids got older and lost interest in the local swim club, I think the last year I paid for a family membership it cost something like $500 a visit, since they only went once.

The commercial waterpark was actually a much better deal - $40 or so for an annual pass person for all sorts of water slides, a river ride, flumes and all day entertainment. I wish I'd thought more about the cost per visit sooner.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote