Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't buy new just because something has some age on it. (except cars) When I do buy, I try to buy high quality "stuff". Some of our furniture may qualify as antiques but has been well mainatined. As well as some of my hand and power tools which all still work and many you just can't buy anymore.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
.... Some have particleboard board cabinets. Did I have? ...
Picking a nit... MDF and particleboard are quite different.

Quote:
MDF is an engineered wood composite that is similar to particle board, but is much denser and stronger than particle board.

Imagine if all of the sawdust was swept up from other wood product manufacturing processes, and then that sawdust was mixed with binders and pressed into large sheets the size of plywood. Okay, thatís way oversimplified, and itís not exactly the process they use to make MDF 😀 , but that gives you an idea of the makeup of the product.

Because itís composed of such small wood fibers, thereís no wood grain in MDF. And because itís pressed so hard at such high temperatures, there are no voids in MDF like you find in particle board. Here you can see the visible difference between particle board and MDF, with MDF on the top and particle board on the bottom.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I care about my home, and I guess I like to own a quality car. Other than those two items, I really donít care that much about possessions. I donít mind buying lower quality items if I know they are still a good value and will last long enough.

I think we all have things that we care about and things that just arenít that important to us. We bought some cheap dishes at Ikea for $3.00 a piece when we could have gone to Macyís and spent hundreds on a fancy dinnerware set. Realistically I think the Ikea stuff will last just as long as the Macyís stuff, it just may not look as nice. But again, I just donít care about those things.

I always buy the latest Apple products because I enjoy them. I know they are expensive and they drop in value quickly, but I donít care. I have to spend my money on something.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #24

Our kitchen was poorly designed with too large an island. Everytime I would go from the sink to the stovetop, I'd have to step over a very large pit bull dog. He didn't move for anyone.

I ended up taking the island and making kitchen cabinets out of it and reconfiguring my cabinets myself.

I sleep in a beautiful walnut bed handcrafted by my grandfather around 1950. I also inherited his complete workshop.

When our lake house kitchen aged, I removed the cabinet doors and drawer fronts and had replacements made on a CNC machine. I just painted and installed them.

With proper tools and YouTube.com, many household jobs can be performed. I've yet found anything I cannot do myself--given enough time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Our kitchen was poorly designed with too large an island. Everytime I would go from the sink to the stovetop, I'd have to step over a very large pit bull dog. He didn't move for anyone.

I ended up taking the island and making kitchen cabinets out of it...
Might have been easier to leave it and convert it to a doghouse.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I get my miles out of furniture. The sofa gets replaced when holes appear not before.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #27

The last dozen years, we have been buying more and more items at thrifts and on craigslist. We recently paid less than $200 for 6 high quality chairs (equal or better than Thomasville) with solid mahogany legs, and in mint condition. DW could not find similar chairs for less than $400 EACH at high end furniture stores. We bought an Ethan Allen solid cherry dining room set for under $500 a few years back. And we still have many pieces of our original EA bedroom set we purchased (retail, ouch!) in 1976. Well made, and classic styling.

There are so many estates and downsizing sales...lots of good values if you like to shop that way and save serious $$.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I tend to take really good care of stuff, probably to an excess, as it is not like I need to worry about resale value. I just hate to see things scuffed, scratched or misused - it seems disrespectful .
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Nice. However I never would have never owned a 2003 Taurus or particleboard cabinets in the first place. Buy quality and keep it forever. I should have qualified this in my post.
Thanks.
Also, the street sweeper does not do that good of a job. And I value the exercise.
I ordered a Kraft Maid vanity for my new house because the last house I remodeled I used Kraft Maid and they were nice. This time the backs and sides were particleboard.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Itís tough to find good cabinetry and furniture these days. I visited several cabinet companies during our remodel, and asked for a tour of their production facilities. Only one tour impressed me, and I went with that company. Itís even more important now to take care of our stuff to make it last longer, because very few things are being made now as well as they used to be.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

For us, I'm not sure if pride of ownership is solely our underlying principle. Obviously, if we buy something, we want to take care of it to make sure it lasts.

But we also want to understand how much value and usage we're going to get out of it. The larger the price tag, the more analysis.
Are we going use something enough where we're going to get enough value/happiness from buying it or a higher end version?
Do we have enough space to store it?
Is it going to be better just to rent it?
Are we going to get enough use of it before it becomes obsolete/surpassed by newer technology?
Are we skilled enough to appreciate the higher end versions that provide more precision?
Should we need pay more for bells and whistles that we may not use?
(However, we're also not immune to buying something just for the sake of liking it. )
Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
For us, I'm not sure if pride of ownership is solely our underlying principle. Obviously, if we buy something, we want to take care of it to make sure it lasts.

But we also want to understand how much value and usage we're going to get out of it. The larger the price tag, the more analysis.
Are we going use something enough where we're going to get enough value/happiness from buying it or a higher end version?
Do we have enough space to store it?
Is it going to be better just to rent it?
Are we going to get enough use of it before it becomes obsolete/surpassed by newer technology?
Are we skilled enough to appreciate the higher end versions that provide more precision?
Should we need pay more for bells and whistles that we may not use?
(However, we're also not immune to buying something just for the sake of liking it. )
Agreed, it is a complex issue, best analyzed on a case by case basis.

Example, DW car is 21 yrs old, probably because we park it in a garage and don't leave it outside all the time, helps it to last longer without rust holes.

I just bought new cell phones Moto G6 for $160 each (unlocked), instead of buying $900 apple phones because I know in 3 or 4 years they will be thrown away, or lost or stolen.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I do not generally worry about maintaining stuff forever but I do agree that some things, like furniture and kitchens, can last a long time if you pick the right stuff. We added an addition to our house about 30 years ago and remodeled the kitchen and the bathroom with quality materials and design. Both are still going strong. I have replace all the kitchen appliances over the years but the cabinets and counters (granite) still look great. I had to replace the hinges in the cabinets since the springs wore out but that is about it. I wasn't focused on cost - just aesthetics.

As for cars, I used to keep them for about 8-10 years but this year I tried leasing since I want to see how much I enjoy a three year replacement cycle. Cost isn't the objective there at all.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This group is a pretty conservative bunch in my estimation. Never the less I would like an opinion regarding owning "things" and minimal waste in our lives. For example when putting away our lawn furniture my DS exclaimed that we should get the record for lawn stuff lasting over 25 years. Likewise our inside furniture, kitchen (all white which I guess is back in fashion) other than a new faucet and 50 knobs is over 25 years old. DW's Lexus is 14 years old and spotless. We clean the street and gutters in front of out house. Old time German approach to belongings and an attitude of preservation.

I feel that this basic attitude contributes greatly to success, rather than discussions about AA, SWR and when to take SS. Thoughts?
I love to watch home renovation shows at the club which has HGTV. They always demolish the kitchen and they make a new one with granite countertops and sleek appliances that looks like every other kitchen. The new kitchens leave me cold. There is no personality.

I may take it to the extreme though. I love the look of my oven, original to the house circa 1960. A very old guy used to fix it who could diagnose its problem and find the old parts. His wife had to drive him. They were so cute. Now he's gone and it hasn't worked for about 2 years. I have a countertop one instead so I don't miss its function.

Hmmmm. Maybe that should be my next home improvement project. I certainly couldn't break it any further.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #35

We shop on value and I, unlike DW, do not like shopping. So I tend to buy higher end products and keep whatever it is for a long time. When I do shop, the internet is my friend.

Cars...last one we retired was 18 years old. It went to our son. Still running and in good shape. Current ones are 2008 and 2007. No plans to replace either at the moment. I did go into the Acura dealership a few years ago with the intention of buying a new vehicle. I did not buy. Money, or even parting with it was not the issue. I did not feel any of that new car excitement that normally comes from buying a new car. So I walked.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not trying to be snobby and I'm sorry if it came across like that. The point I was trying to make was to take care of what you have and minimize waste yet present yourself well.
I got that same impression when you mentioned driving Fords. People that have driven Fords like myself have pride of ownership as well. Now if your contention is that things that cost more money last longer, that hasn't been my real world experience.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #37

I don't try to be a minimalist for the sake of being a minimalist. I hate throwing good enough things away (even if you recycle/donate, etc), but at the same time, I don't want to keep on using things or looking at things that are unpleasant. Functionalities are important to me, and aesthetics as well. I don't want to live my life surrounded by junk (=not only cheap and also ugly).

As for what foxfire said about buy quality and keep forever, I love my All-clad cookware. They cost a lot, but they are great (in terms of performance and they are solid and very nice-looking). Same with my Honda Accord EX-V6. It cost more than other Accord models, but it's fast, and the leather interior is easy to maintain, so even though I've had it for over 14 years (but with only 75,000 miles!), I still love it all the same.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #38

I find that buying quality does tend to pay off in the long term most of the time. But so does taking care of what you already have so it can last longer. The pride thing to me is that I want my things to look nice and not look neglected. Also has the benefit of helping them last longer. I am a big believer in preventative maintenance (PM), as result of my years working in production environments where unscheduled downtime is detrimental.

One discussion item though, in the past items were made to be fixed, rebuilt and keep going. Now everything is throw away and get a new one. Much more of a disposable mentality now than in the past. Some of this probably driven by electronics, as they are not cost effective to repair, but mechanical type things are just not designed with intention to be rebuilt or have parts replaced.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
The last dozen years, we have been buying more and more items at thrifts and on craigslist. We recently paid less than $200 for 6 high quality chairs (equal or better than Thomasville) with solid mahogany legs, and in mint condition. DW could not find similar chairs for less than $400 EACH at high end furniture stores. We bought an Ethan Allen solid cherry dining room set for under $500 a few years back. And we still have many pieces of our original EA bedroom set we purchased (retail, ouch!) in 1976. Well made, and classic styling.

There are so many estates and downsizing sales...lots of good values if you like to shop that way and save serious $$.
Same here. And I'm finding Facebook Marketplace to be almost as good as Amazon. You set your parameters for how far you're willing to drive, search on what you want, and save it to be alerted if you don't get any hits. I had broken a couple of my everyday dishes (which I really like) and they're no longer sold retail and Replacements Ltd. wanted $30 each. I just got 12 plates, salad bowls and salad plates for $40 so I should have enough to last hopefully until I can no longer eat off a plate.

We've also bought lots of furniture that way, as well as art for the walls. People get tired and want to refresh, and their loss is my gain.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #40

I believe in taking care of nice things as well. Our cars are both 2007ís and still look and drive great. However, I also value aesthetics. When we remodeled our 10 year old condo, we completely gutted it and replaced everything to our taste. We love it now, but there may come a time in the future when we want to change out some of it, not because itís worn out, but because there are new, innovative materials or products that appeal to us. I see nothing wrong with updating and modernizing.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote