Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My problem with a new screen is most of the cable content is HD and my current screen handles that fine. Also, new TVs seem to have really cut back on speakers, expecting people to add a sound bar or home theater setup.
I've been watching TV through external speakers for decades so the speaker quality or lack of is a non-issue.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Late to the topic. I want to stick up for my MDF countertops! Don't call it particle board.

Crafted them myself 7 years ago to refresh the kitchen. Uses some of the best Formica brand laminate around, with custom edging. From any distance greater than 3 ft., looks like granite. When you use it, it is not harsh like granite. We love them, and loved making them. Very affordable way to refresh the kitchen.

But if we ever sell the house, the kitchen will be declared a hazard zone because there is no granite.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #63

This thread go tme thinking to the oldest furniture pieces we had. None are "fancy", but they are functional. We find it hard to replace things that are old but still functioning well.

Our kitchen table is the first new piece of furniture I bought after I graduated from college 39 years ago. It was the kitchen/dining table for my first apartment. It has survived several moves and still looks good, primarily because we kept it covered while the kids were growing up.

I have a large desk that I bought for the then pricey sum of $500 after we moved into our first condo 34 years ago, and we had a room to use as a study. I made the mistake of ordering it and paying up front, and then had to hound the store for 3 months about getting the order from the factory. But it has also lasted and looks great.

I still have my Technics turntables from my college and post-college DJ moonlighting days. The cartridges have been replaced, but they function fine, and I now use them convert my vinyl record collection to digital media.

Though it has been boxed up for close to 20 years, I still have the first PC I bought, one of the first IBM Personal Computer models.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ yeah... why can't those older flat screens just die so we can justify getting the latest and greatest... I have one that just won't die.
My justification would be that the older flat screens are much thicker than new ones and use a lot more electricity. We have an old one in our bedroom which we hardly use, but when we do use it, it heats up the room.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #65

We have some relatives who are very much into pride of ownership.

The challenge is the ownership issue.

They have the pride but not the ownership. I do not know if even know, as they approach retirement, that they realize this. Ownership rests with the organization that provided the financing. It is why one of them is still working at 70.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My justification would be that the older flat screens are much thicker than new ones and use a lot more electricity. We have an old one in our bedroom which we hardly use, but when we do use it, it heats up the room.
Plasma screen? Some of those older models were vertical griddles.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Got one. 6 years old. I really like the softer yet brighter picture than LCD.

Being late generation, it doesn't run that hot, but yeah, throws a bit of heat.

We'll keep it until it dies. Since they don't sell them anymore, we'll move on. I think the newer LCDs address most of my concerns.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #68

Quote:
Didn't know about plasma screens, but no, the one we have is a 42 inch 720 LED or LCD (whichever came first) HDTV, which I believe is over 10 years old. It is thick and quite heavy, unlike new flat screens TV's.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Got one. 6 years old. I really like the softer yet brighter picture than LCD.

Being late generation, it doesn't run that hot, but yeah, throws a bit of heat.
+1 on the plasma screen picture. We bought one (LG) four years ago that we really liked but unfortunately it died after two years.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
+1 on the plasma screen picture. We bought one (LG) four years ago that we really liked but unfortunately it died after two years.
+2

Iíd get a new, larger plasma if it were an option, Iím not a big fan of the LEDs.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Wow, glad to hear other plasma fans out there!

Too bad we got voted off the island.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #72
Administrator

Today I had a great opportunity to replace the TV. Our HOA signed a new contract with Comcast and I got a new STB. The only way to connect it is HDMI, but my TV has two slots and theyíre both taken. For now, the DVD player is disconnected. The grandkids will be back the week of Christmas, so Iíve got Ďtil then to figure something out.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #73

Quote:
Today I had a great opportunity to replace the TV. Our HOA signed a new contract with Comcast and I got a new STB. The only way to connect it is HDMI, but my TV has two slots and they’re both taken. For now, the DVD player is disconnected. The grandkids will be back the week of Christmas, so I’ve got ‘til then to figure something out.
Too bad this didn't happen a week ago. There were some nice TV deals you just missed.

Of course you could always get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-HDMI-.../dp/B0018DQYQ2

Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Too bad this didn't happen a week ago. There were some nice TV deals you just missed.
I know. Even if I could, I can't, as thereís another issue to deal with. The previous owner of our house had an entertainment center built in the family room. Itís really nice, well thought out, but has one issue - the TV set he used was rear projection, so it sat flush to a cutout area that is for a 4x3 type screen. The widescreen doesnít fit. I have some ideas, but so far DW hasnít bought. Until we can agree on how to fit a new screen, this one stays.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #75

Quote:
I have some ideas, but so far DW hasnít bought.
So she's not buying nailing a piece of plywood to the front and using a wall-mount?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So she's not buying nailing a piece of plywood to the front and using a wall-mount?

That works. Iíve done it. But I had to use cherry plywood to get DW approval.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #77

I try to keep my stuff in pristine condition (that's the way I was taught). But sometimes it feels like my stuff owns me as much as I own it. I spend a lot of time cleaning, buffing, and polishing, and it is hard to let go of stuff when life demands it (downsizing).