Join Early Retirement Today

Priests gone wild!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Priests gone wild!

One of our favorite pasttimes is visiting the eccentric and unusual. Both people and places. Like, House on the Rock in Wisconsin, the Glore Psychiatric Museum in Missouri, and the Corn Palace in South Dakota.

On our recent trip to Wisconsin we hit another jackpot: The Rudolf Grotto and Wonder Cave.

Like many other grottoes and religious art projects, the Rudolph Grotto was a fulfillment of a promise that Father Philip Wagner made to the Virgin Mary in thanks for healing from a debilitating exhaustion he suffered while studying for the priesthood in Europe. Father Wagner received his cure while at the shrine at Lourdes, so it follows that in thanks he would build a place of pilgrimage himself. After several inexperienced attempts at construction, Father Wagner completed the first construction at Rudolph, the wayside Lourdes Grotto shrine, in 1928.

All the rock constructions at the Rudolph Grotto are built with a distinctive reddish rock known as gossan, which is rich in iron and infused minerals, and is abundant in the area. Broken and melted glass is used as decorative accents at the grotto, but not pottery or other cast-off materials. Instead, the rough red rocks cover everything in the grotto, their textures and sizes (from pebble sized to an enormous 78-ton boulder) provide the interest and drama of the grotto structures.

The gardens consist of numerous small shrines and structures set among meandering paths and crooked bridges leading through pines and small grassy lawns. There are shady, intimate areas as well as more formal memorials and open picnic grounds. However, the most unusual part of the park is the enormous man-made mountain of the Wonder Cave.

Some pics:

I especially like the string of buoys making a rosary around Mary.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Priests gone wild!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Where is the wonder cave? I don't see it.

This reminds me of a tourist trap set up south of my parents vacation home in Humboldt, I think it's called "Trees of Mystery". Has a giant Paul Bunyan outside the gift shop with a speaker strategically located in the crotch so Paul could "talk" to you. Gondola takes you up the hill side to see trees shaped like the Virgin Mary, etc. It was cheesy, but it was also kinda fun, Americana.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Another unusual place to visit - for the morbidly curious only:

The Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, PA: http://www.fieldtrip.com/pa/55633737.htm

Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

the priest did what with a string of rosey boys?

nice gardens. love the rock lampshade. and great sundial. are conch shells indigenous to wisconsin?

love the idea of theme travel. as to visiting oddities, well, i could pretty much stay home for that. a while back i had a terrazzo floor fetish. i had to stop in every old hotel and photograph their lobby floor. my friends thought i was nuts.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
One of our favorite pasttimes is visiting the eccentric and unusual.
Show us pictures of the Paul Bunyan museum (isn't it on the way to Bemidji?). Or the Muskee museum in upper Wi. Now that's class !

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Or the Muskee museum in upper Wi. Now that's class !
http://www.freshwater-fishing.org/ The acutal fish was in a Hayward bar that burned down.....
Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This reminds me of a tourist trap set up south of my parents vacation home in Humboldt, I think it's called "Trees of Mystery".* Has a giant Paul Bunyan outside the gift shop with a speaker strategically located in the crotch so Paul could "talk" to you.*
Funny you should mention that.* They are currently advertising for a new person to be the voice of Paul Bunyon.* I'd like that job for a day "Hey, lady, nice tits!"
Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Funny you should mention that. They are currently advertising for a new person to be the voice of Paul Bunyon. I'd like that job for a day "Hey, lady, nice tits!"
Really? I just figured employees would take turns or something.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote