Prime Rib Roast

jfn111

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're planing on prime rib for Christmas dinner. My wife wants to try the 250 degree method. Most recipes suggest 25-30 minutes per pound.
The question is we have 2- 5# roasts we will be cooking at the same time.
To try to guestimate the time necessary to cook should we be looking at 5 x 30 minutes or 10 x 30 minutes?

Assuming the two roasts have a little space between them when roasting, an oven provides a constant heat, so unlike a microwave where you would double the time because a microwave heats the entire roast, with an oven each roast is not affected by the presence of the other. The heat applied to the outside surface of the roast does the cooking.
This is why baking 2 pies will not take twice as long assuming the oven can keep up to the desired temperture.
Anyway why not 2 meat thermometers and check each?

Are you going to crowd both roasts close together in one pan (touching), or will they be separated as much as possible (not touching)?

I think it depends more on how my people prefer the end piece! Binding them end-to-end will provide the maximum number of non-end pieces! I've had great success cooking overnight at the destination temperature, though not for anything quite that spendy! :)

I've never cooked two at a time before, I don't think it will take much longer than cooking one if there's adequate space between them and they're on the same rack. My meat thermometer is my best friend when cooking prime rib.

Thanks all, we got the remote thermometer ready to go. I figured it would be roughly 5 x 30 but I just wanted to make sure.

I did a 4 pounder on Saturday 325 convection for the first hour then 375 for the last 20 minutes or so - turned out great

Thanks all, we got the remote thermometer ready to go. I figured it would be roughly 5 x 30 but I just wanted to make sure.

You cook time will be dependent on how accurate your oven temp is set and how well it holds heat.

I've done remote probe tests on my oven and have found that the actual temps will swing above and below the set point.

That is why to get consistently good results - you gotta have a remote probe in the meat. Cook times can get you to the ball park, but the probe is the sure fire way to get to whatever temp you are shooting for whether that be rare or medium rare.

I go for the low side medium rare at the center of my rib roast - 125F.

As it rests before cutting the temp will continue to rise a bit to a perfect 130F.

ymmv....

I prefer convection, pretty much for everything. Chickens, turkeys, roasts all taste so much better when convection roasted, IMO.

I go for the low side medium rare at the center of my rib roast - 125F.

As it rests before cutting the temp will continue to rise a bit to a perfect 130F.

This is my method, although rather than the oven, I cook it in the sous vide for 4-5 hours at 125°F. When it comes out, it goes in the hot roasting pan on the stovetop for a quick sear. A minute on each side makes it look as good as it tastes.

We bought one these to cook turkey. It worked great! In fact three of our friends have also bought one. Last year we did a standing prime rib in it. It was absolutely great!

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TR...=UTF8&qid=1450837711&sr=1-1&keywords=big+easy
I've done turkeys and pork ribs in the Orion Cooker...I bet prime rib would be great in it too.

I never trust timed cooking. I always use a continuously monitored temperature probe. Then the biggest variable is how good of a 3D imagination you have (to get the tip of the probe in the center of the cut).

Orion Cooker | BBQ Smoker | Charcoal Smoker | Turkey Cooker

So, those who did roasts - how did they turn out?

I did a 7lb 3 bone in rib roast for Christmas dinner which turned out great w/ a nice crust and delectable medium rare in the center.

Most of it gone thanks to two teenage boys, but enough for a repeat dinner tonight.

Bones went in a pot to make beef soup w/ veggies and pearl barely.

So, those who did roasts - how did they turn out?

I did a 7lb 3 bone in rib roast for Christmas dinner which turned out great w/ a nice crust and delectable medium rare in the center.

Most of it gone thanks to two teenage boys, but enough for a repeat dinner tonight.

Bones went in a pot to make beef soup w/ veggies and pearl barely.

Similar for us. 7.5# Prime Bone in ($110 at Costco!). Ended up a little underdone, as I was paranoid about burning such an expensive piece of meat, and the meat thermometer was giving varied readings on different sides of the meat. I don't really like our oven. But truly, " like buttah".

French dips today, after I figure out how I'll cook the most underdone parts a little more

Similar for us. 7.5# Prime Bone in ($110 at Costco!). Ended up a little underdone, as I was paranoid about burning such an expensive piece of meat, and the meat thermometer was giving varied readings on different sides of the meat. I don't really like our oven. But truly, " like buttah".

French dips today, after I figure out how I'll cook the most underdone parts a little more

I feel your paranoia and frustration - esp w/ thermometers.

I actually had to return my Thermapen after several unsatisfactory grilling sessions - turns out it was not fast or accurate after deciding to run my own tests.

I trusted the Thermapen to give accurate readings within 3-4 seconds, but the one I returned was much slower - taking up to 9 seconds.

The new one works as advertised - which I use when doing steaks.

But for a big roast - I rely on the constant reading probe via a long cable to a base unit and a remote to know the temp where ever I am in the house.

No need to open the oven to probe the meat.

Would love to know what you come up with for the underdone pieces you have.

But for a big roast - I rely on the constant reading probe via a long cable to a base unit and a remote to know the temp where ever I am in the house.

No need to open the oven to probe the meat.
+1

I normally set the alarm temperature 10F below the desired temperature to give time to get to the oven. And the meat is usually removed from the oven at 5F below the final temperature.

Did you get a look at how dirty this guy's oven is (step 4 photo)? Yikes...

I didn't bother to look at the other steps once I saw the dirty counter. I'm not a squeamish person but how can you cook food in those conditions.

Years ago, I adopted a dog. When I went to the house to pick up the dog I had to walk through the house to get to the backyard. I'm not nosey and don't look around someone's house. The kitchen was filthy and the sink and counter were loaded with dirty plates and pans. The entire house was like that and this person use to watch peoples children from work. I rescued the dog!

DH got a 4 lb roast on sale at Fresh Market for $7.99/lb. I cut it in half because I like it rare and DH likes it well done. Floured, salted and peppered it and seared it on all sides in a cast iron skillet coated with butter. Put his in and cooked it for an hour at 350, then put mine in and cooked for another 45 minutes. Done perfectly for both of us, with plenty of leftovers. Prime rib, sliced very thin, makes the best steak sandwiches on earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did two racks of lamb for Xmas. Quite a bit easier, but I still used a remote probe to continuously monitor temp while in oven.

Back
Top Bottom