Join Early Retirement Today

Prince dead at 57
Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Prince dead at 57

Prince's Genius Can't Really Be Measured in Earthly Terms: RIP to More Than a Legend | E! Online It's an unbelievably bad year for losing great entertainers. I can't believe Prince is dead, at just age 57. From the flu! How does that happen in this day and age? He was possibly the most talented all around musician I've ever seen. RIP
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hugely popular and influential in my age group (the tweeners between Baby Boomers and Gen X).

MTV came of age while we were in college, and Prince was all over it. He had a way of reaching out to everyone, even hard rockers. He also eventually ticked off everyone.

I thought he'd be one of the performers to last. This just shocks me. I mean, my generation of music performers is dying! I'm feeling old!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Terribly bad news. Very sad. Sobering as well.

These reality checks to OMY plans and plans to live to age 100 just keep on coming.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
One of the great individualists
Old 04-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the great individualists

and talented musicians of modern times. And, I think vastly under-rated as a musician and writer. His personal antics and persona-management challenges (not to mention devastating battle with his record company) were a huge distraction from the talent he could unleash. Not my core musical preference by any stretch, but total appreciation for his artistry and command of the audience.
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Old 04-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to see someone so young pass... and from the flu! I always thought him a bit weird, but I'm not that into music.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Way talented, super prolific, an incredible performer, and someone who followed his own lights. What a world it would be if it were all full of Steve Jobs/Prince/Picasso brilliance. Aliens could look down and exclaim "Wow - what a bunch of shiny a**/oles!"

Maybe genius, like fire, is appreciated best at a certain distance. Thanks for all the great music you left us Prince.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm in shock. He was so young!

So many celebrity deaths have occurred in 2016 so far. I was a little shook up that almost all of them were just in their 60's (I'm 67 so I find that to be unnerving). But 57? 57? Enough!!!

And why didn't that hospital insist on keeping him there, where he could get the medical care required to get him through the flu?

I am not especially a fan of his music, but he seemed like an extremely unique and amazing person, and very talented.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've never cared much for his music, but he was an outstanding musician.

2016 has been tough on musicians.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Though I really didn't follow his music or career, so very shocking and sad at such a young age.

I remember in art class during college and the teacher let us listen to the radio as we worked out the art projects and "1999" and "Every Breath You Take" from The Police seemed to be on every other song.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Shocking. Seemingly eccentric and incredibly talented.

His Super Bowl halftime show, in pouring rain, was inspired on many levels. Not a huge fan, but I have Let's Go Crazy and a few others in my music library. Like others here, makes me feel old at 62...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If 1959 was the year the music died, 2016 is the year the music was utterly annihilated, cremated, pulverized and vaporized.

And yet, Keith Richards lives on. Go figure.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If 1959 was the year the music died, 2016 is the year the music was utterly annihilated, cremated, pulverized and vaporized.

That one is hard to figure. I wouldn't have thought he would have made it to 50. He's still rocking at 72.

I had a old friend die not long ago from pneumonia. He was just 61. Flu and pneumonia can be pretty serious if your immune system is not up to par. Although never a fan of Prince, I do hate to hear of his passing. Much too young.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I've never cared much for his music, but he was an outstanding musician.

2016 has been tough on musicians.
Yes, impressive guitar work, though I never was all that excited about his music, not that I think there's anything wrong with it either, it just never grabbed me that much.

But I do have a slight connection - two of my kids played in Band in High School and another student was a percussionist who ended up in Prince's band, and toured with him a few years ago. She was a very impressive drummer in High School.

So there was an emergency landing of his plane a few days ago near Moline IL, to get him to the hospital. And now dead? I wonder if more will come out after a while? Seems a little odd. I saw some reference to him saying he can't play guitar anymore? Was there something else going on?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

#33 on Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists list. Prince - 100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

Not bad for a guy who reportedly played 27 different instruments, "though they were different types of string, percussion, and keyboard instruments."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
#33 on Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists list. Prince - 100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

Not bad for a guy who reportedly played 27 different instruments, "though they were different types of string, percussion, and keyboard instruments."
Prince was a great guitar player, but not because Rolling Stone says so. They put Johnny Ramone at #16 and Kurt Cobain at #12 for example...two people who could barely play, above Eddie Van Halen at #70 and David Gilmour at #82.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #17

My high school friends and I spent many weekend nights watching Purple Rain on VHS back in the mid 80's during sleepovers at our various houses. We were so into that movie and the soundtrack. Pretty much everyone of my age was infatuated with Prince at that time, and I've continued to enjoy his music off and on through the years. So tragic that this is how it ended.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

On a lighter note, I saw a Facebook post earlier today which said, "Keith Richards Found Not Dead in San Francisco Hotel."

With the bad news today, it gave me a good laugh. RIP Prince.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Prince was a great guitar player, but not because Rolling Stone says so. They put Johnny Ramone at #16 and Kurt Cobain at #12 for example...two people who could barely play, above Eddie Van Halen at #70 and David Gilmour at #82.

Yeah, don't get me started on that...

Then again, my list would likely be a bunch of jazz and prog rock players, with the occasional Chet Atkins or Vince Gill scattered here and there...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I was never a big fan but I heard a good point made by someone in the media today: That era of the early/mid 80s had a lot of forgettable music, but when you listen to Prince's music today it still sounds fresh and relevant, not at all dated to the time. I agree with that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote