Join Early Retirement Today

Prince: "The Internet Is Over"
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Prince: "The Internet Is Over"

Prince: 'The Internet is over' - MSN Music News

From the article:

Quote:
Music superstar Prince is adamant he will never sell his songs on the Internet, insisting Web-based outlets will soon disappear because they are no longer "hip."

He says, "The Internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.

"The Internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you.

And in other news, Prince announced he will start traveling for his next tour by stagecoach, being that planes, trains and automobiles are no longer hip. Airplanes are over.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Funny how I've never noticed that Prince's music is not available on the internet.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's Prince who is no longer hip... Was he ever
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought he was ...is he Prince again?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think he is right. Computers are just a passing fad like CB radios.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Who is Prince? Must be irrelevant these days.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

And actually, to speak to a portion of his quote, MTV jumped the shark when it *stopped* being about music videos and, in fact, had a lot of content not really even related to music.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I honestly think the guy is a moron. When was the last time I heard a Prince song or watched a Prince music video? Maybe he's wealthy enough from residuals and concert fees such that he doesn't really give a flip about making even more money by using this medium we call the internet.

This article is probably something Prince's PR guy came up with to generate some buzz for Prince, since he's not getting much attention lately. Maybe boost those CD sales (do people still buy CD's??).

Compare Prince to current pop stars. I'm just going by what my 5 year old finds popular - Lady Gaga, Katy Perry. Billion(s) of views on youtube. That's got to drive the name brand for these performing artists. Prince will be marketing to an increasingly small niche of netophobes. In the meantime, plenty of other social-media adept performing artists will be making bucks the old fashioned way (via the internet among other outlets).
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

He's just ticked because he can't get an advance from the major e-music store out there. If he needs a loan, he could maybe try a bank?

(He needs the money because he's behind on property tax payments and interest on more than a dozen places.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps Prince would be more relavent if he DID have his music available on the Internet
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

1999 was a long long time ago.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Prince is a bit of a whack job. I read an article about his cult like entourage a few of decades ago and concluded that he was sicko. When he became the gliph (aka the artist formerly known as Prince) my misgivings were confirmed. He became Prince again when no one could find his stuff as the gliph. He will re-embrace the Internet when he concludes that it isn't "over." Complete di*k head.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Prince is a bit of a whack job. .... When he became the gliph (aka the artist formerly known as Prince) .... Complete di*k head.
Maybe *that* is why he thinks the Internet is dead - he never caught on that you can't google "a graphical representation of that di*k head formerly known as 'Prince' ".

I love it when a company/org makes their name unique enough to google easily. I heard this was a consideration for the TV show "Numb3rs" - unique to that show rather than every web page that mentions numbers.

Googling for info on transferring my email from Apple's "Mail" program was frustrating.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 1980, before Prince (inexplicably) got popular, he opened for the Stones and got bombed off the stage with garbage thrown by 90,000 impatient Stones fans at the L.A. Colloseum. Years later, in a Rolling Stone interview, he was still complaining about the incident. I saw it live, and it's one of my most cherished memories.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

He is another pompous, poorly educated "entertainer" who believes others should listen to his opinions which have no basis in fact.

He is definitely a legend in his own mind. FWIW, I thought he was a lousy artist, especially when compared to the real talent of his era. Another aging has been.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

He wants to party like it's 1959.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like Prince and think he has made some amazing music. Guess I'm about the only one round these parts who thinks so Those who don't like his style may like some of the music he's written. Like this for example:

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

From the Washington Post here
Quote:
Try not to read that as: You dang Internet, get off my lawn!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like his song about the hat.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I like his song about the hat.
?