printing through another computer

ScooterGuy

Recycles dryer sheets
I've got a question. I have a laptop computer (slave) connected via an internet router to the master computer, using Cat5 cable. The master computer has a printer attached; my laptop does not. We both run XP and use MS Word.

Is there a practical way that I can send a Word file, graphic image or HTML file through the master computer and operate the printer? Right now, I'm swapping 3.5" diskettes with DW (she has the master machine), but that's getting 'old.'

I really don't want to buy another printer (because there isn't any space left on my desk).:confused:

Is there a practical way that I can send a Word file, graphic image or HTML file through the master computer and operate the printer? Right now, I'm swapping 3.5" diskettes with DW (she has the master machine), but that's getting 'old.'

Yes there is a fairly straightforward way to do this. We use Vista rather than XP on our home network so I can't remember the exact commands, but you should run the network wizard on each PC to create a Home network to enable the 2 PC's to share folders and devices.

Once the network is established you can share the printer on the PC that has it connected and then add that printer from the 'Add Printer' option in the Control panel on your PC.

I'm sure others can give the actual commands, and you can always try accessing Help on either of your PC's to get precise guidance.

On line help http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

Sharing printers (as well as disks) is quite easy using the above instructions. Before the internet became so popular, sharing printers and disks was the reason for networks. Swapping floppy disks was called a "sneaker net"

Back
Top Bottom