Problem with Multi-MegaPixel Cameras

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's a problem I'm seeing with the newer cameras that take pictures with 6 or more megapixels:

Novices are emailing the pictures around, and do not know how to resize them.

We routinely get pictures that are 3072 x 2304 pixels from my mother-in-law and from my sister. When we suggest that they resize them before sending, their response is "I don't know how to do that."

I think the real problem is that multi-megapixel cameras are in the hands of novices.

Wait until we all have no-brainer technology and enough bandwidth to start sending full-length full-motion video around.

I made the mistake of directly e-mailing some photos to an aunt (among other addressees) so that she wouldn't feel left out. Ever since then I've been on "the distribution list" for photos, announcements, and all of those other cheesy e-mails & urban legends.

Next time I'll just post it all to Photobucket...

Ever since then I've been on "the distribution list" for photos, announcements, and all of those other cheesy e-mails & urban legends...

And, if my dad sent it, inside 3-4 levels of attachments...

Here's a problem I'm seeing with the newer cameras that take pictures with 6 or more megapixels:

We routinely get pictures that are 3072 x 2304 pixels from my mother-in-law and from my sister. When we suggest that they resize them before sending, their response is "I don't know how to do that."

I don't know how to do that either. :(

I made the mistake of directly e-mailing some photos to an aunt (among other addressees) so that she wouldn't feel left out. Ever since then I've been on "the distribution list" for photos, announcements, and all of those other cheesy e-mails & urban legends.

small threadjack: i partially solved that issue by setting up a separate email account for all the aunts, uncles and msl cousins. now whenever i see a fwd:fwd:fwd i just delete and the rest i can open at leisure. also, this way my main email address won't get inadvertently junked by whomever gets my address from all their many, many cc's.

um, you just open the picture with any pic program and hit, surprise, "resize." photoshop has resize under image. or you could, on photoshop, go into file and then "save for web" to make the pic more manageable.

The iPhoto app on Macs actually makes this very easy. You choose some pics to email, you then click the 'email' button (sounds easy, right?). It asks you what size you want the pics ( small, med, large, full Q ) and automatically compresses all of them and inserts them into an email.

It really does work very nice. You don't need to know anything about how to resize them. Even though I *do* know how to do this stuff, this is way easier.

-ERD50

Last edited:
um, you just open the picture with any pic program and hit, surprise, "resize."

That's what I told my sister. However, out of curiosity I opened the Paint program that comes with XP, and it took a while to figure out how to do it. If you look in the Help under "Resize" it misleads you. The way to do it is with the Image/Stretch/Skew option. For example, Open Paint (All Programs/Accessories/Paint, open the image, choose Image/Stretch/Skew and enter 50% for the new width and height).

Ever since then I've been on "the distribution list" for photos, announcements, and all of those other cheesy e-mails & urban legends.

DW made the mistake of asking someone like this not to send this stuff, and that person got pretty huffy about it.

I really don't like distribution lists for "circle of friends" stuff. It really gets old after awhile. But, I think if I quit getting them, I would feel left out. Wierd. I just delete most of them and don't tell anyone that I do.:angel:

That's what I told my sister. However, out of curiosity I opened the Paint program that comes with XP, and it took a while to figure out how to do it. If you look in the Help under "Resize" it misleads you. The way to do it is with the Image/Stretch/Skew option. For example, Open Paint (All Programs/Accessories/Paint, open the image, choose Image/Stretch/Skew and enter 50% for the new width and height).

Question - and THEN what do you do (assuming a novice would figure this out, since you said the HELP was misleading)? Do you need to save that resized version somewhere, and then attach it to the email? Or does it create a copy in the Paint app? What would a novice do next?

Sure seems like the Mac is much easier in this case for a novice or an expert. Just choose the photos, click 'email', and it asks you what size you want. It compresses them (if you chose that option), puts them in an email and presents that email for you to add an address. Couldn't be much simpler. And, out of curiosity, I checked the HELP section (not that you would need it) - it tells you that plain and simple.

But some people on this forum think that the Mac 'ease-of-use' is just a marketing gimmick that Mac users have been suckered into. Right. And I STILL haven't heard of any virus affecting Mac users ;)

DW made the mistake of asking someone like this not to send this stuff, and that person got pretty huffy about it.

Man, if anyone sends me one of those 'Forward this to the rest of the world' type emails, I call them IMMEDIATELY and tell them NEVER send me one of those, and to call everyone they copied and tell them to delete my name from the list.

My SIL sent me one of those sob story ones, forward this and some kid in need will benefit, bla, bla, bla. One minute of googling showed it to be a scam - no kid, no way the kid could benefit from people sending emails, etc. Scammers just use these to collect email addresses.

I was touchy about this as I just got a new ISP and new email account, and the old one had got hit with junk. So bad that I really could not let my kids check the email. Really torqued me off that I was paying for a service, and then had to weed through trash to get to what I wanted. The filters today seem to do a pretty good job, or maybe I'm just lucky/careful?

I tell people, if there is something they really think I need to see, send it to me directly, DO NOT copy my name and send it to 100 people that will send it to who knows who. I guess BCC works, also?

-ERD50

Office has both a Picture Manager and a Photo Editor app that will resize and/or change resolution for emailing or web use.

I agree with the OP.

FWIW, a great, free, simple Windows-based photo editing program is Irfanview. The best part is that it does batch conversions (i.e. edits multiple pictures for you all at once). I use it for the batch jobs and simple photo editing that doesn't really need Photoshop.

Picassa, a free download from Google, does a nice job of making it easy to email reduced size pictures. When I get huge file emailed pictures, I send back a picture from Picassa as a hint, as it has a download link in the body of the email.

There are a slew of online image resize tools; here are just a couple.
Resize Images online
Resize Photos - Free Online Photo Resizing - Photosize.com

A bigger issue may just be knowing which photos to keep once you go digital. Just because you don't have to pay to develop and view them doesn't mean they should see the light of day.

Now instead of closets filled with mediocre photos, I have hard drives full of 'em.:confused:

Thanks, Janet, I'll pass those links on.

Now instead of closets filled with mediocre photos, I have hard drives full of 'em.
confused.gif

I've started a new thread on this.

I have a Mac, and it's easy.

But until last week, I also had dial-up and it did not like receiving those big pics. Half the time, my email program said it was "corrupted" and shut down the email.

IRFANVIEW (IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide) is another FREE program for resizing photos - Usually 800X600 is small enough for dial-up recipients (and senders) without too much loss of detail. May want to also be sure to get the "plugins" for Irfanview while you are at the site. There are about 50 of them consolidated into a single file that can be simply added to the program. BTW the program itself is about 1K in size while the plugins are over 5K in size.

Last edited:
Totally free and totally cool photo management system is Adobe Photoshop Album Starter 3.2. I have used many of the free ones, and this is the all time best one IMHO. Don't confuse it with other programs such as Adobe Photoshop Elements, etc. This one is simple and fantastic. Free download.

Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2

You can resize, edit, categorize, tag, add and delete collections or groupings groupings, order prints directly from the photoshop program (which you can do with most) but this is SO easy. It has an automatic fix for all pictures that makes them brighter and clearer with the push of one button.

the title of this thread reminds me of a situation my father is going thru. he already has a 6 megapixel 10x zoom porfessionial-style digital SLR. He doesnt know how to use any setting but AUTO, and even that can be forgotten at times.

WELL, he decided he needs more megapixels because the photos arent coming out right. I explained its the composition and settings...not the camera. He doesnt care...he wants MORE. now its 8-9 MP and 12x zoom I think. It'll be funny when he still shoots blurry, white-washed pictures of the family.

t he already has a 6 megapixel 1

WELL, he decided he needs more megapixels because the photos arent coming out right..

And that might actually hurt more than it helps. Unfortunately, people have assumed that more megapixels means more quality. That is not always the case, pixel count is only one measure of quality.

Becuase of this marketing war on megapixels, makers often skimp in all the other areas, just to be able to advertise more megapixels.

Cheap lenses, a smaller image sensor AREA (more mp's but also more noise, less light sensitivity, etc)

Show him some quality pictures taken with a cheaper camera than he has. How was it done?

-ERD50

I've found that using the online sites like Shutterfly is easy for the technology limited to use (posting or looking). It keeps you from getting asked to "send them a print." It keeps your hard drive from getting overloaded with garbage.

How about just setting the camera to take 1072 x 860 or whatever. No resizing needed, the cam does it when you take the picture. Plus, way more pictures fit on the digital card.

-CC

Now, I have to figure out how to deal with the Uncles who send around the 10 MB video files and powerpoint presentations.

And that might actually hurt more than it helps. Unfortunately, people have assumed that more megapixels means more quality. That is not always the case, pixel count is only one measure of quality.

Becuase of this marketing war on megapixels, makers often skimp in all the other areas, just to be able to advertise more megapixels.

Cheap lenses, a smaller image sensor AREA (more mp's but also more noise, less light sensitivity, etc)

Show him some quality pictures taken with a cheaper camera than he has. How was it done?

-ERD50

its always losing battle with him! but for the record, the new one seem sbetter all around, zeiss lenses etc)

Back
Top Bottom