Problems with Canon MX700 Printer

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MX700 goes thru the motions of printing...noises and such.......but produces a blank page when Pressing the Copy/Black buttons. Pressing the Copy/Color buttons produces an image. There is no indication that the Black Ink supply is low from the 4 ink monitors on the screen

.When I print a web page (instead of copying ) that has red/blue/black letters, it works fine again suggesting that the Black ink supply is ok.

Perhaps a separate issue............when I try to print from the Text Edit application on my Macbook Air, it acts like the COPY
function on printer........goes thru motions but prints a blank page.

Every thing used to work fine previously.

Our printer (an Epson) sometimes acts wacky and generally unplugging it and letting it sit for a bit before trying again (along with rebooting the computer of course) seems to fix most things. We've had it for probably 7-8 years and every time it gets flaky I think it's going be terminal, but it keeps on chugging.

Is the MX700 Printer an ink jet or laser? If ink jet, that may be the problem :(.

Back in the days when I had ink jets, if not used frequently, the cartridge would dry up and I have to try using the software to [-]waste ink[/-] and clean. Even had times where I gave up on the cartridge.

Went to laser and never looked back.

Our printer (an Epson) sometimes acts wacky and generally unplugging it and letting it sit for a bit before trying again (along with rebooting the computer of course) seems to fix most things. We've had it for probably 7-8 years and every time it gets flaky I think it's going be terminal, but it keeps on chugging.

Yes, that's my one and only tool...........and it's fixed many weird problems on many devices before.................but not this time unfortunately.

Is the MX700 Printer an ink jet or laser? If ink jet, that may be the problem :(.

Back in the days when I had ink jets, if not used frequently, the cartridge would dry up and I have to try using the software to [-]waste ink[/-] and clean. Even had times where I gave up on the cartridge.

Went to laser and never looked back.

Ink jet.......I'm thinking that printing from the web site forum that showed the same colors on paper as on the screen......red/blue/black demonstrated that black cartridge was still working. May break down and install a new one anyway if I can't think of anything else.

If there is a "maintenance routine" you might try running that before buying a new cartridge.

Ink jet.......I'm thinking that printing from the web site forum that showed the same colors on paper as on the screen......red/blue/black demonstrated that black cartridge was still working. May break down and install a new one anyway if I can't think of anything else.

Is there a printer tool program that came with the printer that shows the status and level of the cartridges? Been awhile since I used an ink jet but remember my old HP printer having that along with the clean option which worked sometimes, but did waste ink.

I think a ink jet can print two types of black. One is through a dedicated black ink reservoir and the other is by combining the three primary colors. I think that’s what’s going on that leads you to think it’s printing black until you ask specifically for black. Verify whether or not you have a dedicated black cartridge. I bet you do and I bet it’s empty, clogged or dried up. Hopefully it’s just the ink and not the print head. I think those can get expensive to replace.

Is there a printer tool program that came with the printer that shows the status and level of the cartridges? Been awhile since I used an ink jet but remember my old HP printer having that along with the clean option which worked sometimes, but did waste ink.

Yes,when printing there is picture for each of the 4 colors...........if low,
things stop and the tank that is low is indicated. In the beginning,I used to replace the tank at that point but I learned that you can press "OK" to
override the pause. Eventually that doesn't work and you have to replace the cartridge.

Re:the cleaning. I can't COPY in black from an original on the glass loading zone; but I can PRINT from a computer screen (including black). Doesn't that mean that the black ink cartridge is OK?

Yes,when printing there is picture for each of the 4 colors...........if low,
things stop and the tank that is low is indicated. In the beginning,I used to replace the tank at that point but I learned that you can press "OK" to
override the pause. Eventually that doesn't work and you have to replace the cartridge.

Re:the cleaning. I can't COPY in black from an original on the glass loading zone; but I can PRINT from a computer screen (including black). Doesn't that mean that the black ink cartridge is OK?

See what Jerry said above. I remember back in the days of having an inkjet and mistakenly printing in "black" but not from the black cartridge but the color one trying to produce black. Would bug me as the color ink was more expensive and the output wasn't as dark as true black.

See what Jerry said above. I remember back in the days of having an inkjet and mistakenly printing in "black" but not from the black cartridge but the color one trying to produce black. Would bug me as the color ink was more expensive and the output wasn't as dark as true black.

Thanks to you and Jerry for that idea.........must have missed Jerry's reply while I was working on mine. I guess I didn't think the black was empty since there was no warning on the monitor but perhaps it isn't empty just dried out and your mixed color "black" is deceiving me. Will poke into it.

Our, not empty or dried up, but clogged. Not sure how to clean the print head. Hope it’s just empty.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I had a spare black cartridge so installed that. No change confirming that the old one was probably ok and the black I saw when printing (as opposed to copying)was a tri-color mix rather than a real black.

Amazingly I found the manual for the printer and the instructions for cleaning the print head (and deep cleaning) appear similar, if not identical to those
provided by easy surfer. The test patterns after each just showed the 3 color bars but nothing black so I guess all I did was consume ink.

Curiously,the questions in the procedure only asked about the color patterns which were fine. Maybe they included black in the "color" which was completely missing.

Not sure I'm ready to do the you-tube procedure suggested by bw but thanks for the idea.

so learned a lot but still in the same boat..............

Last edited:
Not sure of your finances, but I would look into a new printer. You probably need a new printhead and if it's even available, it's probably so expensive as to make a new printer a more cost effective alternative. If you have a lot of ink, maybe you can get a printer that uses the same ink. Personally, I'd look into a laser. I got fed up trying to maintain an inkjet printer and went ahead and bought a color laser. Not cheap and the model I bought won't print pictures on photo paper, but still, I'm very happy with the switch from the perspective that I no longer have to mess around with my printer. Good luck on your next step.

FWIW, I can't see any harm in trying the cleaning as described in the video. I think you're at the point of nothing to lose.

If you really don't need color ouput, switching to a laser printer (b&W) is cheap. They last a long time and can go sitting months without use and still work fine.

I switched from inkjet to laser well over 10 years ago, after getting disappointed with dried up ink, plugged printheads, etc.

If you really don't need color ouput, switching to a laser printer (b&W) is cheap. They last a long time and can go sitting months without use and still work fine.

I switched from inkjet to laser well over 10 years ago, after getting disappointed with dried up ink, plugged printheads, etc.

That is true. We started with a simple B&W laser while keeping an all in one inkjet for copy, scanning and printing in color. Finally, we just bit the bullet and got the color laser all in one. Like most things in electronics, lot's of options, but your budget will impact which one makes the most sense for you.

Last edited:
Around 99% of my printing needs, a B&W print will do, so I haven't bought a color laser printer yet. I gave up on injets to avoid headaches similar to what kaneohe is experiencing. Plus, I think that overall, laser is less costly and a LOT more convenient.

My B&W laser is a multi-function that pretty much meets my needs.

Though, if I had the room, I'd spring for a color one. In the meantime, I "window shop" and every so often go over to Amazon and see how low prices for a simple, easy to use color laser go for, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Our B&W laser is multifunction (fax,copy,scan, print) costs about $150 on sale these days. Refills are $15 good for couple of years at the rate we print.

The only reason I'd need color is for photos, and I just use a real photo place for those few times I print a photo (example Christmas photo cards).

Looks like I have some homework to do on B&W lasers..........surprised no one
has chimed in w/ specifics...........I think I saw a recent thread on BH that was
Brother, Brother,Brother................

Years ago had same issue. Solution.

1. Dedicated black only laser printer. Used for 99% of my printing.
Toners last forever. Prints thousands of pages per toner cartridge.

2. Laser color printer. Used for copying. Can print black and color. Has 4 carts. So
only use when color needed. (color carts are expensive).

Inkjets. As we all know, when not used regularly. Dry up. And stop working.

Lasers, can sit idle for months, and then print fine.

Back
Top Bottom