Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now that "Inflation!" is being trumpeted, many are probably buying extra goods, out of fear that the price is going up.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I don't think they're stupid. They're just folks reacting logically to what they're being told. I'm not saying they're right. Only time will reveal that but you want them to ignore the inputs? Everybody play a hunch/counter-hunch? And maybe they are being manipulated. Say "inflation". Elbow people into "up-purchasing" which causes " a spike in demand" which will then be pointed to as the reason prices are going up (which is not exactly "inflation" but can be conflated in the minds of busy people with proper messaging.)
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, as long as it works after repair I don't care what type of drive it is. Repair quote is $130.00 so maybe it is a solid stat drive . I the Sony t has been a fine laptop. Only repair ever done on it was to replace a memory about 5 years ago and replace the power supply because it was not delivering enough amperage to start the laptop.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERObjd View Post
OK, as long as it works after repair I don't care what type of drive it is. Repair quote is $130.00 so maybe it is a solid stat drive . I the Sony t has been a fine laptop. Only repair ever done on it was to replace a memory about 5 years ago and replace the power supply because it was not delivering enough amperage to start the laptop.
A SSD boots up much faster compared to the traditional hard drive.
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I've been thinking I should buy a new fridge for my rental, the old one is 20+ yrs old. Better to buy one and get it in 1->2 months than be forced to buy a super expensive one as that is what's left in the stores. ?

Did you have to buy a more expensive one than originally thought ?
In our garage sits a 26+ year old frig that has never been repaired.

In our kitchen sits a 4 year old frig that replaced an eight year old frig that died. Eight years is about what you can expect for new appliances today (per repair guy), the older frig may well outlast anything new you buy.

But please don't get mad at me if it dies in three months
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
A SSD boots up much faster compared to the traditional hard drive.
All processing is much, much faster. SSD was best upgrade I ever did, would not have a computer with only spinning drives again.
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #126

About a week ago, I noticed that after I moved our upright freezer, ( I'm tearing up a ceramic tile floor on the first floor) it started making a different hum. Monday, DW gets a call from our farmer/rancher friend, and says that he has a half beef available, if we want it. We're his best customer over 25 years IIRK, the check is prompt and good. He also said that our hog was ready. DW said she was going to get a a new freezer. I laughed, knowing that there is a backlog. Well, damned if she didn't come home 2 hours later, with a receipt for a brand new freezer, one that was ordered and never picked up. The holding period had just expired just about the time DW walked in the door. Had someone been online and caught it, we wuld have been SOL. So, we have a new freezer coming Friday, as a backup in case the other one fails, anda place to put the new meat.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT90505 View Post
All processing is much, much faster. SSD was best upgrade I ever did, would not have a computer with only spinning drives again.
I really like my laptop with an SSD as well, but I read that SSDs do not last. I guess I will see...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #128

Today, DW returned from the grocery store and said the cheese coolers’ shelves were looking pretty sparse.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I really like my laptop with an SSD as well, but I read that SSDs do not last. I guess I will see...
back up.
back up.
back up.
I back up my personal files daily to two external USB hard drives.
Then every few months - it should be monthly - I image the entire hard drive.
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #130

Hobie kayaks! lol.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Today, DW returned from the grocery store and said the cheese coolers’ shelves were looking pretty sparse.
+1

Last two weeks the cheese is gone. No Swiss barely any cheddar just(leftover) odd stuff is available.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #132

Trek bicycles. I’m still waiting for the gravel bike I ordered in October 2020. Latest estimate is for delivery in January 2021 (but I expect it to be further delayed)
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

There was no pasta at my Aldis this morning… only pasta made from lentils and soy beans. The section was entirely cleared out, no ziti, spaghetti, elbow or lasagna noodles.

They’ve also been having trouble keeping the imported dark chocolate in stock as well… that’s been hit or miss for about 2 months. The kinds we like come from Germany and Austria.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
There was no pasta at my Aldis this morning… only pasta made from lentils and soy beans. The section was entirely cleared out, no ziti, spaghetti, elbow or lasagna noodles.

They’ve also been having trouble keeping the imported dark chocolate in stock as well… that’s been hit or miss for about 2 months. The kinds we like come from Germany and Austria.

We've noticed that on the chocolate DH eats a square or two a day of 85...it's MIA at our local Aldi's
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:00 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Local Costco frozen section had virtually NO ice-cream products. Also no TP. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post

+1

No pasta at our Aldi's too. Completely wiped out.

Employee stated they are having issues getting numerous items.

But TP & PT were plentiful.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #137

Gatorade. Noticed the shelf was wiped out at Publix yesterday...bare, nothing. A quick google shows it's another victim though I don't know exactly why.

Interestingly, the pharmacist recommended we up our electrolytes when we got our jabs, I wonder if that's increased demand? We never buy it, but had started drinking some of the Zero sugar version since then.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:17 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

We all thought hoarders were being stupid during the pandemic. Garages full of toilet paper. And remember the people who tried to hoard gasoline? All kinds of wacky stories with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I don't think they're stupid. They're just folks reacting logically to what they're being told.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

This week DW's car was in for regular automotive maintenance. The service indicated the front tires are approaching replacement time. their distributors cannot give them an ETA for the tires. They are likely in the containers off the west coast.Fortunately it is not urgent, and now that DW is retired she drives less than 50 miles a week. They have the tires on order for us. No need for a deposit, they said if for any reason we find the tire make/model somewhere else they will have no problem using our order for someone else.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

^ What tire brand?