Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife has ruined me to cursing. Will not tolerate it from me at all. So I throw things instead.

Actually she has ruined me. I now hate to watch movies that are more than PG rated because most of them include gratuitous swearing and foul language. Sometimes I can find a movie aired that filters out the bad words.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #42

Does anyone remember the grade school rhyme:

Don't cuss.
Call Guss.
He'll cuss for all of us.

Anyway, my profanities are limited to Seven Words. And no, I'm not linking to THAT video.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Does anyone remember the grade school rhyme:

Don't cuss.
Call Guss.
He'll cuss for all of us.

Anyway, my profanities are limited to Seven Words.
Ha Ha, I remember them all, (You forgot the "On TV" part). It proves that I do not need Prevagen ...... yet.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I cursed as a teenager and then my friend's dad told us it just shows how ignorant you are that you can't come up with a better word. So then it became a challenge. I don't curse any longer and nor does my wife. Two of our kids do not. 4 of them do.

I could swear up a storm, but don't. Don't really like to hear it, but I'm not rude to people that do.

The only instance where I could vaguely see that it was warranted was at the end of Oblivion.

What word begins with "F" and ends with "uck"....
Firetruck

cd :O)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago I was riding along as a passenger with a fellow photographer. We were returning home from shooting a scenic but very out of the way meadow. We saw a stalled car by the side of the road and knowing that traffic on that road was light, we stopped to render assistance. My friend notice a bumper sticker that said nasty things about a certain group, and spelt a certain word with the letters PH. He took one look at it, told the man he found it very offensive, got back in the car and we drove off. He did phone 911 and tell them about the stalled car when we got back to cell phone service.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #46
Administrator

Quite a few comics used profanities to produce some really funny routines. Buddy Hackett was masterful. A Cuban comic, Alvarez Guedes, used Spanish language profanities as the core of his routines, which were hilarious.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Don't sweat the small sh*t!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quite a few comics used profanities to produce some really funny routines. Buddy Hackett was masterful. A Cuban comic, Alvarez Guedes, used Spanish language profanities as the core of his routines, which were hilarious.

Richard Pryor could pull it off well (both profanities and racist words).

Old 08-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #49

I probably curse a bit more than I'd like, but usually only in response to something fleetingly annoying (stubbing one's toe gets a pass right?) vs. generally peppering dialogue. and certainly less than when I was working, when I probably adopted some of the language of my mostly-male IT peers to fit in a little more.

I don't mind it when others use it, unless it's just too frequent and too lazy. Like if everything is f'ing this or that..well, no, it's not, get another word already.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I rarely curse. There are more creative ways to make a point.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I don't curse--I did not ever hear cursing when I grew up. My DH does not curse, no one in my family curses. I don't have any friends that curse. When I worked I do not remember hearing cursing. I avoid movies or TV shows with cursing. I am amazed at how many people on this Forum admit to cursing. I guess I live a sheltered life.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent the first 15 years of my working life on the decks of commercial fishing boats. The next 25 years on oil rigs and "man camps" attached to such. I am immune to swearing, I don't even hear it. I don't cuss much myself, unless the sh#t really hits the fan.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

All I can say life is too short, far worst things to get one's nickers in a twist over.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
All I can say life is too short, far worst things to get one's nickers in a twist over.
Logging Camp, Lumber mills summers plus thirty years rocket/airplane factory floors.

Now in ER I check with Aussie's and Brit's on U Tube to keep my Vocab up to snuff.

Heh Heh Heh - watch it a tad depending on the audience/occasion. Do have a current admiration for the Aussie way of swearing on Juice Media.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
YUP, i was a phucking sailor!
Outfudgingstanding. me too.

After four years or so I heard myself talking and modified the habitual speaking mode. Still swear on occasion, Gal swears more, drawing on her years running a gang of mechanics as service manager. We both are kinda prudish though - we like funny tv shows but find many new shows count on swearing and crude sexual commentary to shock laughs out. An example: the show "I'm Sorry".
Old 08-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

When and where I grew up properly using foul language was considered an art. My DB, who served in the Navy, taught me much as he cussed me out when we were logging or running mills. My FIL had a very unique ability combine things others thought physically impossible to do, yet he swore otherwise.

A CIO I was particularly fond of combined the impossible with the unheard of. I remember an international presentation with live translators. The translation stopped for a noticeable period while the CIO went off on a tangent about monkeys and bulldogs having group sex, somehow this related to software development.

I have been decreasing my intentional use of colorful language for many years. An anonymous English teacher is responsible.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I will never stop using the one brilliant English, I would say almost swear word. A word for pretty much any occasion ....... Oh B*%%*cks, I made a Typo.

I even had a Colorado License Plate with it spelt with an "X". (Still have the plate)

This goes back a few years......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ian & Brenda in Colorado 1990.jpg (396.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #58

My attitude towards language, it turns out, is much the same as that of Stephen Fry. With a few exceptions, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad word. If you liken words to colors, then the broader your vocabulary, the greater your ability to express yourself in any given situation.

Although I have dropped the occasional verbal clanger in unappreciative company, by and large, I'm fairly adept at communicating with others in a manner to which they are accustomed. I don't enjoy offending others (unless they thoroughly deserve it!) and take care not to swear if it will upset those around me. Most of the time, I don't feel like using salty verbage but, by golly, them sure are fun words to have around on the offchance you'll need 'em

For some reason, the F word said with a soft Irish brogue just sounds wonderful to my ear. I don't know how they do it. The fact that the Irish usually substitute an "e" for the usual "u" softens it's impact too, and lends it some character. The British have a lot of quite creative ways of being crude that can add much welcome humor to the proceedings.

On other occasions though, cursing can come across as crushingly banal. I think it has a lot to do with the vocabulary, intelligence, and general communicative abilities of the speaker. If someone swears a lot, and I get the strong sense they are doing it because they can't think of any other words, that's not too appealing. If, on the other hand, the speaker has a fast wit and a broad vocabulary, it is a great deal more palatable.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #59

I curse sometimes when talking to myself. I have a new landline and only two old friends have the number and they know my ringer is off and I probably won't pick up so they email me. I mostly get unwanted robo calls. When I see the phone flash, sometimes I pick up. A few days ago I picked up and the phone slipped and slammed into my keyboard support and I shouted "oh s**t, WTF." I found it fun that someone might hear it in a situation when it doesn't matter. It's my own home and I don't want people calling anyway.

Oh, and there was no answer. I answered weird a second time that day and again there was no answer. It could have been a friend who didn't know how to handle it. I'm fine with that.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #60

I've been training myself to substitute.... Oh sh....ugar. What a motherfather. And the ever popular Oh fudge!

The good thing about these specific substitutes is you can switch the word/curse midstream to make it less offensive.
Closed Thread