Mine is lifetime, so always current 1 0.96%
Retired/emeritus type status 13 12.50%
Undecided at this time 3 2.88%
I don;t need no stinking certification or license 14 13.46%
Not retired yet 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I went "inactive" on my PE for the first couple of years into retirement (for a fee). Plan to drop after that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same as the OP; took and passed the EIT & PE exams as soon as I could* and held the licenses until I retired. Although I rarely used my PE to stamp drawings, I did use it frequently to meet contractual requirements to fill various positions. I had PE licenses in two states; let one (MN) lapse and retired the other (CA).

*Funny story on how I got my license...in a state I'd never been in - Minnesota. I was in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. Although the Air Force doesn't value PEs, I planned to get out after my second tour and I did value it; so did a great guy (Major Torgeson) in my unit. He valued it so much that he contacted the Minnesota state board, where he was registered, got permission to proctor both the EIT and PE, and enabled a handful of us to take the exams and get registered. So, I took the exams in a foreign country, got registered in a state I'd never set foot in, and became a Professional Engineer.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Same as the OP; took and passed the EIT & PE exams as soon as I could* and held the licenses until I retired. Although I rarely used my PE to stamp drawings, I did use it frequently to meet contractual requirements to fill various positions. I had PE licenses in two states; let one (MN) lapse and retired the other (CA).

*Funny story on how I got my license...in a state I'd never been in - Minnesota. I was in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. Although the Air Force doesn't value PEs, I planned to get out after my second tour and I did value it; so did a great guy (Major Torgeson) in my unit. He valued it so much that he contacted the Minnesota state board, where he was registered, got permission to proctor both the EIT and PE, and enabled a handful of us to take the exams and get registered. So, I took the exams in a foreign country, got registered in a state I'd never set foot in, and became a Professional Engineer.

OP here, kind of related, I got my PE in CA, and just kept it there while I was working around the country. Never bothered to get it transferred when I moved. I actually took the EIT in last year of college, and then the PE after working two years which was the minimum work reqt.

Also earlier there was mention of gov't security clearance. I also had one and since when I retired it was not being transferred to a new employer, it also became inactive soon as I turned in my badge. It was due for renewal in about 1 year at that point anyway. Glad to be done with that hassle process.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
OTOH, I can't "retire" from tennessee bar until age 65. Thus, unless I choose to be disbarred for failure to pay dues, or formally petition the supreme court to exercise its discretion and revoke my license (which, of course, carries a fee!), I will remain "inactive" for $85(?) annually until I'm deemed old enough to retire. Reminiscent of Hotel California.
Our state is in the middle of a lawsuit about the mandatory fees/mandatory bar membership. I am curious as to how this pans out and would love to STOP paying the fee, but like you...there is no inactive status here. Either you pay or you don't belong.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:03 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I will switch to inactive status for my Psychology license. I was planning to keep it active but last month NY added a ridiculous continuing education requirement. If I should decide to reactivate it I can complete the CMEs and reactivate it.
Lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just curious what you did if you had some type of professional certification or license, what did you do after retirement? Let it go, keep it current, other?

I am an engineer and had my Professional Engineer (P.E.) license for almost the whole time I was working. Took (and passed) the test as soon as I could once I started working. Never needed it as a strict job requirement, but it was good brownie points on the resume. I let it lapse once I retired. It was $150 every 2 years, and with no plans to need it for work it was no longer justified expense.
I had two California PE licenses in Mechanical and Civil plus nationally certified as a BCEE or Board Certified Environmental Engineer.

I let all three lapsed since I had worked for 44 years as a Mechanical, Civil, Environmental, Nuclear Engineer plus work as a Combat Engineer in the US Army.

44 years were enough and I wanted to do something different other than engineering...like fishing, motorcycling, skiing, surfing, bicycling, traveling, etc.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

That's probably a matter of "how retired" you are ;-)

Would you take an interesting/challenging job offer just because of the challenge? If so, you might want to keep the certification.

If not, and you're not in a volunteer position where current knowledge of the field would be valuable, then drop it.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I kept our CEU's and licenses current for eight years after retiring, and finally just let them go this last year. With what is going on in the world, really don't want to see the inside of a hospital anyway.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Play it safe, but plan for the worst.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Play it safe, but plan for the worst.

I am close to retirement, 62 y.o. I’ve been putting 16 2/3 into my 401 for 30 years. DW has an awesome pension and retired in 2020. DW was a Speech therapist, 66 y.o., and let her license expire. Me, I’m an Occupational therapist still working. I think I may see if I can put my license on inactive status. But deep down, once I’m out I really don’t see myself going back. Pittsburgh medical corporations have the town in medical lock-down.
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I have until Feb 28th to decide.

I passed my Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) in 2002 and I've done way more than the minimum 40 hours of CE each year. I also have enough CE done that I can pay the renewal fee and get renewed for three years.

But...they recently raised the annual fee from $85 to $125 so I'm wrestling with this because I doubt I'd ever need it again and I've got better things to do with $125.

If it was still $85 I'd just pay it one more time to keep my very low certification number but I'm thinking it's time to leave that life in the past.

Ray
NXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

PE-Quality: placed in inactive status after two years
CQE: placed in retired status after one year
Various Microsoft Certifications: allowed to lapse as they came up

None were useful in retirement. Bought a fishing license instead. Renewed yearly.
Joggernot is offline   Reply With Quote
P.D.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

P.D.

I keep my pharmacist license up to date. I am 69 and would like to go back to work at least part time. In Maryland the cost is $175.00 q 2 years and it only requires 30 hours of continuing education. I miss the educational value and the cerebral stimulation of being around younger individuals. It’s the marriage license that sometimes I have to pause to think about.
Jpblondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #53

In order to keep my PA and WV Mine Foremans certification, I have to go to refresher class every two years, it's been since 2013 since my last class. I don't plan on taking the classes ever, as I don't ever plan on going underground again, until the Big Sleep. I'm pretty sure my licenses to use explosives are still current, but I don't plan on using them either.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My husband, who will soon turn 83, has maintained his license. It has been useful for family members how have had construction/property development projects. Once a bank needed a document stamped.

His license was just renewed, DH says for the last time. He will be 85'ish at that point.
Good grief, let it go.
bigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Give 'em up, unless you suffer from PIP (Previously Important Person) syndrome.
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Been RE for just over 2 years. Renewed Civil PE last year just in case, although I doubt I will need it again. Will look into retirement status next year when renewal comes again. Also had Project Management Professional (PMP) certification that I let expire due to ongoing education requirements, and honestly it was not that tough to get.
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpblondh View Post
I keep my pharmacist license up to date. I am 69 and would like to go back to work at least part time. In Maryland the cost is $175.00 q 2 years and it only requires 30 hours of continuing education. I miss the educational value and the cerebral stimulation of being around younger individuals. It’s the marriage license that sometimes I have to pause to think about.

Well, perhaps the marriage license requires too much Continuing Ed for you. [emoji6]
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on keeping my independent clinical social work license active until I die. This way, if things "hit the fan" in the future, I'll be able to continue to earn a living, regardless of how old I am.
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't have a professional license but I do have a security clearance. I plan to let that bad boy go after I retire. Over my career, I have felt that the clearance process has gotten more and more intrusive and I am completely over it. They can take their clearance and shove it after I'm finished working!
RobotMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotMom View Post
I don't have a professional license but I do have a security clearance. I plan to let that bad boy go after I retire. Over my career, I have felt that the clearance process has gotten more and more intrusive and I am completely over it. They can take their clearance and shove it after I'm finished working!

It may be worth keeping the security clearance - wish I had kept mine. Let my professional licenses go, as that is something that could be fixed with my $$. The security clearance is their $$, and therefore harder to reestablish.

JMHO..
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote