Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You are a full-time sysadmin!

I try to decommission systems quickly when something new comes along. One desktop, one media system (desktop), one laptop, one tablet, one phone. That's enough for me!

But right now I have a second phone with a European radio, and I'm kind of sysadmin for DW's desktop, phone and tablet. So that's nine things to administer. I try to keep the decommissioned systems in a state where I can power them on and have them still work (unlike the old days where I'd yank parts out of the old one and stick it in the new one). So the unplugged systems are still at least mental admin "baggage".
Router shows 19 addresses. Not counted : spouse and kid devices, such as two notebooks and two more iPhones.

All of my devices serve a purpose in consulting business. Things are winding down, but not decommissioning more than one a year.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am surprised at the number of desktops still in use. I associate those with corporate jobs, not retired people. We just retired to Vista desktops last year. They had not been used in a couple of years.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I am surprised at the number of desktops still in use. I associate those with corporate jobs, not retired people. We just retired to Vista desktops last year. They had not been used in a couple of years.
If allowed to keep only one device (sounds like a poll?), I'd keep my desktop over a laptop or smart phone or tablet (well, don't own a tablet as of yet).

Maybe old fashioned, but I feel most productive with a full sized keyboard, monitor, mouse and hardwired internet and power connections. I'm sure some folks with a nice powerful laptop really don't need a desktop though.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I purchased my latest business desktop more than a year ago. I knew that I would need something for the consulting work that was to come. If not for that, may have purchased a desktop.

I also preserve an older desktop as it has 10 years of apps on it, which I occasionally use. Unconventional, I agree.

Recently we determined that something faster would be necessary for upstairs home office. I shopped for desktops thinking we'd use a larger spare monitor. After seeing the sparse offerings at best buy, etc., we realized that the 17" notebook was a perfect replacement, and had the MS Office apps we need. Took about 15 minutes to transfer all data from old notebook to new one. Should last another 3-5 years.

A desktop with 25" led screen is one of the best working experiences I've had in 35 years. I suppose it is not for most. I'm sure the conventional desktop will disappear by 2020. But who's to say a new product doesn't come along that is an evolution. Say it has modular features like:

Amazon Echo/Siri interface for command
Security interfaces
Smart energy interfaces
Mobile communications

just to list a few...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
They are frugal (get a lot, easily repairable, easy to add second Terabyte drive) for the money vs laptop that is expensive to repair.
You hook up 2 - 25" inch monitors or more, most laptops only allow 1 extra monitor hook up.
Use a standard keyboard and mouse, not the finger pad / stub .
Space and weight in house are not an issue, can always find it in the same place as it doesn't get moved.

I also have lightweight laptop for travel.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I feel most productive with a full sized keyboard, monitor, mouse and hardwired internet and power connections. I'm sure some folks with a nice powerful laptop really don't need a desktop though.
It can be both.

I have a nice powerful laptop (MacBook Pro), but at home it's connected to a large (24 inch) display and a full size keyboard, along with the usual peripherals.

If I want to take the laptop with me when I travel, it only takes a few seconds to simply disconnect a few plugs and off I go. Same for re-connecting it when I return. Got rid of my last desktop (iMac) machine four years ago.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #47

Quote:
All the above mentioned reasons plus a hobby is photography and I like the much bigger screen and graphics tablet. Yes it can be done on a laptop but for me the desktop is more comfortable to use.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It can be both.

I have a nice powerful laptop (MacBook Pro), but at home it's connected to a large (24 inch) display and a full size keyboard, along with the usual peripherals.
This is exactly what DH uses for graphic design, which he still dabbles in when the occasion arises (once or twice a month). He also has an iPad and iPhone. I think he might get a new Macbook Pro and monitor this year, but maybe not.

I went 13" Macbook Pro too last year, but use a Dell laptop as a desktop for financial stuff only, hardwired to the router as it lost wifi with Windows 10 upgrade. Plus an iPad mini and an iPhone.

Our internet also goes to two BluRay players--big tv also has cable tv, little one has OTA antenna that gets most stations (not CBS grrr) but I watch mostly Netflix on that one anyway.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought when I purchased the 12.9 inch iPad Pro that my desktop would lay forgotten, unloved. Instead, I really prefer my desktop Mac mini with large monitor 70% of the time, and the iPad pro so far is only used < 5% of the time. The rest of the time 25% I use my 6 inch tablet at work for streaming music.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It can be both.

If I want to take the laptop with me when I travel, it only takes a few seconds to simply disconnect a few plugs and off I go. Same for re-connecting it when I return. Got rid of my last desktop (iMac) machine four years ago.
When the motherboard on my desktop went kaput from a failed power supply, connecting a laptop to a regular monitor and keyboard was a life saver -- didn't want to spend weeks staring at the smaller laptop screen.

With your approach of connecting and disconnecting you don't have to deal with any data syncing either since all the data is on one computer. That's one reason on the road, I prefer to just use my laptop like a terminal to remote into my desktop.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:

Same here. The last desktop we had was replaced by a MacBook Pro 3 years ago, DW is the primary user, and also uses a full size screen and keyboard. I've been using that combination since the mid-90's. There has been an impressive improvement in price - performance of monitors over that time.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am surprised at the number of desktops still in use. I associate those with corporate jobs, not retired people.
I love my 27" iMac's screen. Makes reading anything on the web easier (less scrolling) than on smaller screen devices. And over there I have my email open, and so on.

That said, it's a step down for me. I used to use dual 30" displays back when I worked.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Tablet (gift from DW) = 0% (sorry, but I really do not know what to use it for).
Smartphone = 20%
When at home, desktop = 80%
When not home, laptop = 80%

Still using Win7. Aching to switch totally to Linux Mint. Still getting the odd consulting job. Damn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Me and DW:

Desktop (all in one) with Windows 70%
Two ipads - 10%
Two Iphones - 5%
Laptop w/windows 15%
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Tablet (gift from DW) = 0% (sorry, but I really do not know what to use it for).
FWIW:
I was originally skeptical about tablets, but my iPad has become indispensable for a few things.

I love to read the newspapers on it (I do the local rag and the WSJ every morning).

It's the best for magazines (free subscriptions through the local library)

Also wonderful with the Kindle app when a book lends itself to seeing the page in a larger format than my regular Kindle.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

70% Desktop Windows 10.

30% Cell - Galaxy III

heh heh heh - Wife more like 50/50 with her old Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and same model cell. SWAG wise. We talk about updating but haven't yet.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

90% high end Windows 10 laptop;
10% iPad;
< 0.1% iPhone.

No desktop any more.

Ed, I use my iPad for mindless games like sudoku, at bedtime. I use it on the internet late in the evening when I am tired, because it is not as heavy as my laptop.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

AT HOME:

Desktop 1 (W10) 1%
Laptop 2 (W10) 70%
Tablet 3 (iOS, Android) 5%
Phone 2 (Android) 24%

WHEN TRAVELING:

Desktop 0
Laptop 1 (W10) 25%
Tablet 2 (iOS, Android) 5%
Phone 2 (Android) 70%

Next time I/we travel however, I'm going to leave my laptop at home and only take the Kindle Fire and phone. I think "withdrawal" is inevitable.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
With your approach of connecting and disconnecting you don't have to deal with any data syncing either since all the data is on one computer. That's one reason on the road, I prefer to just use my laptop like a terminal to remote into my desktop.
Easysurfer, that is a heavy mouse and keyboard to be lugging around through the TSA security brother. I'm tired of having to pull out the laptop and putting it in separate bin. I've got all my clothes and my toys in my backpack but my back has been incessantly complaining lately. It doesn't help when DW hands you the carry-on... and before you know it, you're lugging around a guerrilla.

I might get a Surface 3 and be done with it. Satiate my need to "veg out" on those long flights when I just want to watch movies w/o having to swipe the card. At least Surface doesn't have to have its own bin.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:13 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For those of us that enjoy computer gaming, desktop is the king for computing and graphics power.
I have a high end gaming laptop also that I use if I am playing away!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote