Join Early Retirement Today

PSA: Emergency communication
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

PSA: Emergency communication

DW drove a friend to the airport this morning and dropped her off at the departure terminal. Routine.

But when her friend got out of the car, she was carrying a tote bag and her purse fell out of the bag. The purse was black so it blended in to the car floor and wasn't very noticeable.

In the purse were not only her wallet but her phone. So she was at the airport with a major dilemma since her ride had already left and she not only had no phone to call for help but she didn't even know DW's phone number. Our home phone number isn't listed and we both rely on our cell phones for almost everything.

Fortunately, DW noticed it in time to turn around and get the purse to her friend in time for her flight, but it could have been ugly.

We would have been in slightly better shape since our Contacts are all available in our Apple Watches, but it's something to think about. In the old days I used to carry a very tiny address book in my wallet with important phone numbers, but I suspect few of us do that any more.

Something to think about.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good reminder.

Remember the days when we had (at least the important) phone numbers memorized?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I do enough running events where an emergency contact is asked for, so I always remember my son's phone. I've got my parents and a couple other numbers still in my memory too. If I can login to google on any kind of system I'd have all my contacts too. Wouldn't be easy in an airport, but possible.

I did have a similar incident earlier this year when I met someone and carpooled the rest of our way to an event, and left my phone in her car when we un-carpooled. After realizing I couldn't call or text her, I caught her on the interstate and waved her over. At least I thought I did. She almost didn't follow me off the next exit until I more frantically waved again. She thought I was just gesturing that I had also seen the dead or injured bear on the side of the road and would know who to call about it. Pretty funny.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote