Join Early Retirement Today

Put a cell tower in your house
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news for those who live where cell phone service ain't.

Quote:
The industry believes that in the first stage, there's a huge worldwide audience for people who are in the right circumstances: living where coverage isn't expected (either by region, topology, home building materials, or other factors), or isn't available (rural or out of territory). In such cases, a carrier becomes a white knight by having a cheap way to put their network in your home, even if it's at your expense.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Catch is you need broadband to use it. If I had broadband, I would use the the much cheaper VOIP. The advertising for this is highly misleading since the availability of broadband is more limited than cell coverage. Cell coverage exttension could address that deficiency but this ain't it.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The very first thing that occurs to me is 'how secure is it?'

The conventional cellular network is fairly secure, with encryption on data communications sufficient to avoid a 'man in the middle' attack, such as the ones often run on public WiFi networks. These attacks involve the Bad Guys posing as the wireless network, getting you to connect through them. The Bad Guys then route your activity through a proxy server that spoofs the secure sockets layer (like https:// ...), so that encrypted connection to your bank is fully readable! (This attack was infamously run against Citi customers back in 2006. It nicely gets around SecureID and other two-factor schemes.)

The macro cells used in the cellular networks use encryption schemes that can't reasonably be cracked in real time, before a secure sockets layer connection can be set up, so an https:// web connection established over the cell network can actually be pretty secure, better than one over an unencrypted or encrypted-but-cracked public WiFi service. The cellular network is also monitored closely by network operations centers.

These femtocells from Sprint and Verizon allow anyone within range to have calls handed off to the cell, unless the cell's operator has disabled it. (ATT femtocells allow only authorized numbers.) Now, if I were a Bad Guy, how long will it take me to get past the security in that Sprint or Verizon femtocell in my posession? What safeguards are in place to prevent me from tapping all your communications?

Cellular data just got much less trustworthy.

Edit: Already hacked and demoed at ShmooCon.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Re...nology-760682/
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote