Join Early Retirement Today

QCD and certified mail w/ return receipt
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

QCD and certified mail w/ return receipt

This is the first year that my mom did a QCD.
She requested two checks from Vangaurd.
She received the two checks and mailed them to two non-profits.
Both checks were mailed certified mail with return receipt.

non-profit #1 --- received the return receipt postcard
non-profit #2 --- return receipt postcard missing though check was deposited on 12/4; no letter of acknowledgement

Isn't someone suppose to sign for the certified mail even if the check is mailed to a post office box?

What's the point of using certified mail with return receipt when this sort of event occurs?

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The certified image should be online as well. It may say on the initial receipt how to look it up.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The certified image should be online as well. It may say on the initial receipt how to look it up.
No image.

I don't understand how that green Return Receipt postcard is suppose to be handled. The USPS is suppose to get a signature for it, but that wasn't done apparently.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Administrator

I would contact the beneficiary organization to confirm they received the check.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I would contact the beneficiary organization to confirm they received the check.
We are.

They are are a national organization with 4**** high rating on Charity Navigator, but this experience has been extremely underwhelming.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had nearly the same thing happen about 20 years ago. Sent a letter to a nearby gov. agency, cert , return receipt. This was to a physical address, not a PO box. Apparently, with a large receiver of mail, the PO dumps off a whole bag or more of mail at the receiver mail room , or if a PO, gives the bag of mail to whoever arrives at the destination PO loading dock. Important things like certified mail procedures get missed.

Apparently some postmasters don't think this is a big deal from the conversation I had with the postmaster in this case. Was evasive. I tried to get the postal inspectors involved , but that came to a dead end.

At least you know it got there my the check being deposited. In my case I ended up hand delivering a replacement letter.

Using express or priority mail costs just a little more and the PO takes it serious, espec. if you insure it.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have Schwab deliver the funds directly to the charitable organization. The entire QCD transaction is archived in my Schwab records and appears as part of my annual tax package. The recipients have always sent me a receipt and thank-you note, but I can just toss them after reading them and patting myself on the back for being a good guy since I can't take the QCD as a charitable tax deduction anyway.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Using express or priority mail costs just a little more and the PO takes it serious, espec. if you insure it.
Sending it certified mail with return receipt isn't cheap either. It cost $6.70 the same price as priority mail.

I researched online for difference between certified mail and registered mail reached the conclusion that certified was the way to go. Not sure now.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My CRRR story...

When my Dad was having issues getting up and down his steep driveway to get the mail, I put in an application to move the mailbox up to the front door. It was a pain in the ass to even get the USPS to acknowledge the application (lost in the mail 2x). So, in frustration, I put together ANOTHER application package and did a CRRR to the postmaster for the town, and took it to THAT POST OFFICE and handed it to the clerk. I did that in 2013 and guess what? It has yet to be delivered/signed for.

In the end, I was able to have a one on one meeting with the postmaster and get his mailbox moved, but it was a 6 month process that was very much unnecessary.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I researched online for difference between certified mail and registered mail reached the conclusion that certified was the way to go. Not sure now.
A logical and reasonable person would certainly come to that conclusion, but this is the post office you are dealing with. No sarcasm intended.

EDIT: Certified mail is a burden to the post office. Express mail and Priority mail are a profit centers. The management of the postal service is concentrating on the latter.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #11

Return of those green post cards has become more sporadic in recent years. Feels like USPS wants everyone to use some other verified delivery method.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

I was required to have the green card proving I had sent a letter to the last known address of the previous car owner while applying for a title for a car. It got to the proper address and a message was left for the addressee to come to the post office to sign for and receive the letter. It was supposed to be returned to me after 10 days showing that it was never received. After 2 months and a lot of effort on my part they sent it back to me. I don't have anything good to say about the USPS.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
EDIT: Certified mail is a burden to the post office. Express mail and Priority mail are a profit centers. The management of the postal service is concentrating on the latter.
Both certified mail and Priority Mail have tracking.
So, I am guessing that the getting the signature for the green Return Receipt is the part that isn't profitable? It seems that the USPS is ignoring it.

I recently sent a package first class with signature confirmation.
I don't see the actual signature. I see just J Febles as the person who signed for the package.
$3.75 + $3 (signature confirmation)
I am thinking that is $3 ill-spent too.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #14

I send the QCDs w/ regular mail. If they are received, the checks will be cashed and you will know if you ask your broker. If you don't receive receipts you can ask charity for them. If the checks aren't cashed, broker can stop payment and reissue.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Sending it certified mail with return receipt isn't cheap either. It cost $6.70 the same price as priority mail.

Ask for a refund since they didn't do the job. Certainly would drive home the point.
Seems like you only got 49 cents worth of service.