Join Early Retirement Today

Quadcopter fun
Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quadcopter fun

I have been wanting a quadcopter with a camera but have not quite been able to pull the trigger on my dream drone, a DJI Phantom 2 plus with 3 axis gimbal (about $1000).

I decided to try one of these ultra cheap quads from China (do we really need to put "from China" nowadays or is it just implied?)

$49 shipped. I figure if I flew it in the river in our backyard the loss would not be so painful as the Phantom.

I am pretty impressed with what you get for $49. Ok, the video is shaky and poor, but you can definitely see the river and some of mountains in the distance. I was afraid to fly very high on this first flight but it gives you a taste.

edit: turn off your sound. The electric quad is whisper quiet but the microphone makes it sound 1000x louder.

Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where did you get it?
How long does it fly?
What is the name?
How stable, range, easy to fly?

I too have thought about getting one to play with up on the lake. We have lots of trees to run into!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Remarkable. Have only managed to destroy cheapo copters in the past, but your experience tempts. Link to your source?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Where did you get it?
How long does it fly?
What is the name?
How stable, range, easy to fly?

I too have thought about getting one to play with up on the lake. We have lots of trees to run into!
I got it from Syma X5C-1 Remote Control 6 Axis Gyro 4CH 2.4GHz Quadcopter with 360 Degree 3D Flip 200W HD Camera USB Charging Cable-56.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Use the coupon code: GBX5C which drops the price to $49 shipped.

It will take ages to get to you (about 3 to 4 weeks). They ship it by yak from somewhere in China.

Alternatively you can get it on Amazon Prime 2 day shipping for about $80 (other amazon prices are $70 but also ship from China).

It is the Syma X5C-1 The new version which is more stable than the X5C

Range is supposed to be about 300 feet? but people have opened the transmitter and put an actual antenna on the circuit board to get a longer range.

It is a lot more stable than I thought possible in a $49 toy. It has a 6 axis gyroscope. You can toss it in the air with some throttle on and just let go of the controller and it will hover. The difficulty I have is when I rotate it I get confused what direction is left, right, backward and forward.

Flight time seems to be about 8 to 10 minutes...perhaps 15 minutes if you don't use the camera. The 500mA 3.7V Lithium battery is removable.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've been having a gas with these, the smallest currently on the market (no camera though):

Cheerson CX-10 CX10 Mini 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis LED RC Quadcopter RTF - US$15.99

Go to 8:30 to see him actually fly the thing in a tiny kitchen (his skills are way better than mine):

Cheerson cx-10 - RC Groups

Only about $16 direct from China (but you might wait 5 weeks for delivery), I got the first one from amazon for $25, then two more direct. At this price, don;t expect them to last forever, but my three have taken a lot of abuse (I'm new to this, and crash pretty often) and are still fine. One even spent a few days in the snow on my roof before I managed to get it down with a magnet on a long pole.

The most fun I've had for $16 or $25 in a long time. It is incredible the technology packed in something so cheap - 4 motors/props and speed control, transmitter/receiver, LiPo battery, micro-electronic gyroscopes (to maintain level, and I think yaw), and all the logic to control this. Fun stuff.

$49 seems pretty cheap to get a camera - those shots were pretty good.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I see banggood.com has it for $54, shipped 'free' (included) out of their US warehouse - 2-4 days...

Syma X5C X5C-1 New Version Explorers 2.4G 4CH RC Quadcopter Mode 2 With Camera

You can check reviews at the other links I provided, just search for that model.

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I see banggood.com has it for $54, shipped 'free' (included) out of their US warehouse - 2-4 days...

Syma X5C X5C-1 New Version Explorers 2.4G 4CH RC Quadcopter Mode 2 With Camera - US$56.00

You can check reviews at the other links I provided, just search for that model.

-ERD50
$49 with coupon code GBX5C on gearbest

I also have the Syma X12 which is a nano quad like yours and about $20. A lot of fun but no payload capacity. It reminds me of a snitch from Harry Potter.

I am charging up the X5C-1 and am going to attempt a flight at about 30 feet high across our river. This may end badly.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You might try putting some sort of marker on it for visual reference as to forward/aft. I've seen all sorts of markers. Paint, tape, even the 2 'forward' props a different color.

This quad is home grown. From my album:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...icture860.html
A better example of directional reference maybe:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...icture853.html

Some cool stuff out nowadays. I recently had one of these flying around inside my house.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I bought this unit a few weeks back: UDI U818A

A short test flight with video:

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

I got a (cheap) Hubsan X4 recently. Lots of incredible online videos posted of flying this unit. Unfortunately, my operating "skills" still involve more crashing than flying
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Very cool. I am quite interested in getting one, but I am not sure how much I would actually use it once the novelty wore off. I had an micro-helicopter that I used around the office to mess with co-w*rkers, but even after a few days, it just sat in a drawer.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I got a (cheap) Hubsan X4 recently. Lots of incredible online videos posted of flying this unit. Unfortunately, my operating "skills" still involve more crashing than flying
I got a couple of the X4s in the fall. My flying skill is on par with yours but of course the video game playing progeny handle them very well. I'm still fighting the desire to get a Phantom Vision.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I'm not coordinated at these types of things either, but I'm getting better with a little practice.

Here's what helped me - remember that the height is not automatically controlled in any way (there is automatic leveling built in), the throttle position (left hand) needs to be adjusted up and down to keep it at mid levels in the room. There is no stable setting, it will constantly drift up or down, and you just need to move that throttle up as it goes down, and then down as it goes up. You have to get to the point where you do that without thinking, you just do it. Then you can focus on moving it forward, side-side and backwards, and your left hand just works to maintain the height you want - without thinking about it, it just becomes a reaction. At least that was what I experienced.

An analogy would be balancing a baseball bat or yardstick on end in the palm of your hand. Not too terribly difficult, but you just do it, you don't think about it. Like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Very cool. I am quite interested in getting one, but I am not sure how much I would actually use it once the novelty wore off. I had an micro-helicopter that I used around the office to mess with co-w*rkers, but even after a few days, it just sat in a drawer.
I've had so much fun, I am tempted by the higher $ units. $60 or so is still really cheap as far as hobbies go. But I do fear that is just when I'll lose interest. So far, I'm sticking with the cheap ones. At this price, quality control seems to be an issue, but all three of mine have been fine, and the first is still going (got it in January), so my experience has been good. But it might be best to order a couple, in case you get a dud after waiting 5 weeks for delivery.

And when it warms up, I'll be doing more outdoor flying, so that will be different. This little CX-10 must have sailed over 50' high in just a few seconds. It's amazing what it can do. Oh, you get ~ 5 minutes of flight time on a charge. That's another reason I like having three - I can get 3 flights in a row, and then let them cool down, and recharge later (I also added a 10 Ohm R in the charger wire, so it slow charges, which should increase battery lifetime).

-ERD50

Also, order spare props! The break pretty easy when you crash as much as I do. They include one set of spares, I ordered more spares and have gone through most of them already.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I bought this unit a few weeks back: UDI U818A

A short test flight with video:

Oh - why hello Mrs. Anderson. Lovely summer day isn't it. Young Betty certainly has grown! Could you just hand me my UDI U818A back over the fence? Thank you. Ah several bits of props but no camera and you seem to have trod upon it with vigor? Why yes, I'm sure I will be talking to Bill soon...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Oh - why hello Mrs. Anderson. Lovely summer day isn't it. Young Betty certainly has grown! Could you just hand me my UDI U818A back over the fence? Thank you. Ah several bits of props but no camera and you seem to have trod upon it with vigor? Why yes, I'm sure I will be talking to Bill soon...
At my current skill level, any juicy video bits would be pure coincidence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My 87 year old neighbor likes to walk around in a speedo. If I capture that on my camera I would prefer they stomp on it.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #17

My venture into the quad world.

I posted in another thread that I bought a Cheerson X10. It lasted two days before I lost control,flew it over the house, and I have not seen it since.

So, I thought I would try again. This time I went with the Syma X11. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I have had it about three days. I have flown it indoors and out. I have run it into walls, dog, table, and trees and it still flys great. Right out of the box I was able to take off in my living room hover, move it around. It is extremely stable.

If anyone is thinking about getting a quad I highly recommend this one. My only mistake is not getting the X11C. It was only ten bucks more and has a camera. I did order one thinking I would most likely trash this one before the C arrived. I really do t think that will happen. In fact I think my 11 year old GS will get this one.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm interested in this thing but a newbie! For $50 I"m in!!

Questions:
Does the camera stream to someplace or do you download it after landing?
Does a lower end one like this have an 'auto homing' function in case of lost control signal and/or power loss? I think the more expensive ones do that.
How does it behave in the wind?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #19

Camera does not stream. You use the transmitter to either take a snapshot or video

Auto Homing - No, however, so far I have not needed it. It would have been nice on the CX10 that I flew over the house, but not for $12!

Wind, well I have done most of my flying indoors, but have about 15 min of outdoor. Light wind no problem. However it is small and light. It's yaw rate is fairly slow, fast enough for me, and the guys making videos say it's ok.

Go to YouTube and search Syma X11 or X11C. They are the same except for the camera. Lots of reviews. I bought the X11 to learn how. I now think the 11C would have been a better choice, however I am a ways from taking pictures. When I lost the CX10 I had a real difficult time controlling it. In fact I can't say I ever had a really good flight. So I went with the X11. The X11 is so easy to fly I wish I had purchased the X11C. In fact I ordered one and a X5C also. My rational behind the X5C is I wanted the controller. You can buy one on Amazon for about $25. An X5C is about $55. Was not a frugal purchase, but hey, it's a splurge! And, if the X5C flies as well as the X11 then it will be worth it.

Here are two YouTube reviews of the X11. From what I understand the X11C flies the same.

https://youtu.be/EwO6U7DbqSo

https://youtu.be/W1XneBQ4m2A
Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Found hovering over my backyard yesterday:
Attachment 21449

It was about 10 feet off the end of my main antenna. It dropped into the next yard over when I keyed the transmitter. Obviously not Part 15 compliant...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote