Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 66 w two kids and multiple grandkids. We text multiple times/day, and FaceTime about once/week. I was in similar contact with my father up until he died in his late 80s.
In my dad's later years he was an hour away in a senior living facility, and I'd visit him for lunch or he'd come down and visit me, about once/week.

He often expressed surprise and sadness over how little contact many of his contemporaries at the facility had with their children, and how many of his contemporaries' children were at odds with each other, fighting over inheritances of parents who were still living.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
I’ll admit! But not the age group you were looking for .... I’m 59 and email my 83 yr old mother every couple of weeks, speak by Skype every couple of months and visit twice a year. My sister has much more contact - they email daily, sometimes multiple times. She visits when I do, so also twice a year.

I think every family relationship finds its own comfortable rhythm. It shouldn’t be forced. What works.

Same here, my dad was too old to be a boomer, which is why I didn't respond earlier, but we talked maybe every 2-3 months, and saw him twice a year, once he and my mom divorced and she wasn't setting his schedule. He had his routine, and I had a child to co-parent and volunteer w*rk on top of regular w*rk. (EDIT: and we only lived a few hundred miles away, on the Eastern Seaboard, transportation is easy.)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
Would like to know how often you baby boomer dads (around 70yo) see or talk to your adult children. If you have grandkids, I'm guessing it would be more often. But I'd especially like to know how often you see your childless adult children. Also, do you feel satisfied with this frequency -- or do you wish it was more or less often?
DD lives 2500 miles away in the summer and 1000 miles away in the winter (we snowbird).... she frequently calls us on the way to work or on her way home... mostly to check in but sometimes to vent about her moron colleagues. We generally see her and DSIL once or twice a year. Also text occasionally.

DS lives about 35 miles away in the summer and 1500 miles away in the winter. In the summer we typically see him every 2-3 weeks for a short 3-4 visit and occasional calls and texts. In the winter we talk or text once every couple weeks. I'd like for him to check in more often so we know he's ok... he can go 24-72 hours without responding to a text.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like all of you have a lot of contact. Maybe nobody wants to admit to having very little contact ...?
Sounds like you asked the wrong question. I have seen a lot of threads here where people discuss painful or troubled relations when that is the question posed. If you are unhappy with the level of contact you have, explain the problem and ask for people's experiences or thoughts.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in my mid-20s as my son is now, I called home or visited once or twice per month. I thought at the time that was plenty. Now that i’m the parent, I recognize it was not. I urge him to initiate calls more often by telling him “his mother really misses him”. ;-)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #26
Administrator

We see our childless 36 year old son at least once per week. (He lives in the same small town). We see our childless 38 year old daughter a couple of times a year as she lives 8 time zones away. We Skype every other weekend and keep in regular email and instant message contact. We stayed at her place for a couple of weeks in March this year, and with our son we all plan to meet up in Paris in November for a few days before continuing on to London for another few days before she flies home.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My folks are boomers and myself and spouse have no kids, and live an hour away. Rarely/never will I pick up a phone to chat, I don't really like talking on the phone, especially with my folks. We go for a visit 3-5 times a year, maybe. We were never really close, even as a child. They didn't take an interest in my life much nor did they really help me navigate childhood into adulthood, I pretty much raised myself and when 18 moved out into the unknown. They now realize that they did a crap job parenting and not having much of a relationship with their kids is the result of that. I feel bad they now want more, but too little too late. We have nothing in common, different political and religious views, etc... I doubt they could tell you what my degree is in or what I even do for a living. They're also just plain not very nice people. As an example, they're often extremely rude to wait staff when we're out to dinner which makes my blood boil. If I do converse with them, it is often a gripe session about whatever the complaint of the day is.

The real interesting part is yet to come. They don't have much saved for retirement, have never been good with money, and are now retirement age, but still a ways from actually being able to retire. Spouse and myself will retire in our late 40's / early 50's. When we do, we will not be sticking around where they live. I have a sibling that lives about 1k miles away, but I doubt they move there either. They stubbornly refuse to downsize out of their 5 bedroom house that nobody comes to visit them in. As their health fails they won't have anyone around to help them and myself nor my sibling are going to uproot our lives to help out much. I'm not sure how that's going to work. I'll throw some $ at the situation if need be, but spouse and myself will be off enjoying our hard earned early retirement.

I often wonder if my parents actually ever wanted kids in the first place or if they did it simply because that was the societal norm. They certainly never seemed that interested in having a relationship with me when it was needed, but now it's nothing but guilt trips about how lonely they are. I don't get it and it is largely why I chose not to have kids, I just didn't have much of an example to go on.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents 79/78 live 14 miles from me (their only son). We do all of the holidays & birthdays at my house (we have a pool). We talk almost every Sunday. Other than that we'll have an occasional dinner out together. I know (as they have related) that they really would like to see me more often but do not understand what a 50+ hour w$#k week actually is. I do not have much "free" time and when I do I want to spend it with my DW doing the things we enjoy. I understand their need but seeing them 10+ times a year and talking weekly works for me. My DW calls it "do diligence" but it's really not as I look forward to time with my parents as well. DW sees her DM weekly and talks to her daily on the phone. (Her DF is gone)
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #29
gone traveling

We have a son with two grandkids, 15 & 9. Probably average 2x/wk, but sometimes it's 5 & at other times, may not talk for 2 wks. They live 0.5 hr away.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've seen this in a couple of formerly difficult people who developed dementia, although not my (long deceased) parents. My theory is that they have forgotten the things that used to make them defensive and angry, along with most everything else. They're dreadfully boring now, of course, but at least they aren't deliberately provocative any more.
Yes, I totally agree! He doesn’t have the sharpness to him anymore and can’t remember enough to argue about politics. The surprise was just how really pleasant he was to be around. Truly living in the moment and appreciating the beauty around him. Not boring at all!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #31

DD1 lives 500 miles away. We see each other 3 or 5 times a year. Call every week or two.
DD2 lives in town, and still has most of her stuff here. We see each other around 5 times a month. It will probably be less when she gets a washing machine. [emoji6] We also talk by phone a couple times a week.
No grandbabies [emoji45]
Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds like you asked the wrong question. I have seen a lot of threads here where people discuss painful or troubled relations when that is the question posed. If you are unhappy with the level of contact you have, explain the problem and ask for people's experiences or thoughts.
Well, it's too late for me to fix now. I just have to live with the regret of not spending more time before DD passed unexpectedly. Many of your comments were helpful to me though. Seems that being grumpy and talking politics too much was a factor in a couple of you who saw your parents less. Also, it seems that many of you (parents) put-in 50% of the effort to travel to see your kids.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #33

We're in our early 60's and one or both of us has a text going almost daily with both our kids who are plane rides away from us. The younger one calls at least once a week as he's a mama's boy, and the older one doesn't really like to talk on the phone. He got that from me, but I make an exception when it's one of my kids.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two kids that live in Georgia while we live in Ohio. I speak with my daughter at least once a week. My Son I talk to here and there. Not anything scheduled or weekly. We text back and forth quite a bit, especially during football season. We travel to visit them now and again and sometimes we pay to fly them up here to visit. This coming Thanksgiving we have rented a place in North Georgia and everyone is coming there so we can do Thanksgiving together.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I see my oldest and his wife 2-3 times a month. We live in the same town. My youngest lives in Vietnam so haven’t seen him in a year. When he lived in the states I would fly out 2-3 times a year and him occasionally. My husband’s 2 boys live out of state and he flys out twice a year. No grandchildren.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, it's too late for me to fix now. I just have to live with the regret of not spending more time before DD passed unexpectedly. Many of your comments were helpful to me though. Seems that being grumpy and talking politics too much was a factor in a couple of you who saw your parents less. Also, it seems that many of you (parents) put-in 50% of the effort to travel to see your kids.
so sorry for your loss. Many of us have these shoulda, coulda thoughts and regrets when someone dies. I think that's pretty normal. I had them about my Dad. Time will help with this. In the moment I did the best I could with my Dad. Give yourself some time.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #37

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think we all have regrets, but hope we do the best we can in a given situation.

As the child in this scenario, I think if health and finances allow, being willing to travel to kids is hugely important. Both my parents are/were very busy retirees, but it was notable that they always expected me to come see them. For much of my career I had 10-15 vacation days a year, most of which were used as personal days or staycation. Taking two vacation days just for travel is a lot.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #38

Well... technically I'm a Boomer Dad although I'm only 58 (born 1961). Kids are 30 and 27. They both live within an hours drive. So we see them frequently and have some form of electronic communication at least daily.

DS is married with two kids. They live 50 minutes away by car. We typically see them once or twice per week. They both work, so they rely on us for frequent babysitting and other transportation/scheduling conflicts. DS and I communicate almost daily by text. We share similar "geeky" interests and enjoy sharing thoughts and links to interesting stories.

DD is "practically married"... living with her SO for 8 years. No kids. They live 15 minutes away. We see her 3 or 4 times per week. Her SO is extremely busy with work and travels a lot. We're lucky to see him once or twice per month. DD has dinner with us when he works late or is traveling. She also calls almost every day on her way home from work.

I expect that when we're 70, one or both of the kids will have scattered to other regions of the country or globe. Or maybe DW and I will be living on a mountain in Costa Rica. In any case, I would obviously expect face-to-face interactions to be significantly less at that point. With distance, I also think it's natural for other forms of communication to decrease as well, although I certainly hope that doesn't happen in our case.

I had very little interaction with my own parents after I moved out at 18. During college, I went home to visit once or twice per year between semesters. I lived about 8 hours away by car. We spoke by phone maybe once a month. Over the years, this dwindled down to one visit every 2 or 3 years and a phone call 2 or 3 times per year. Neither parent ever visited me in Texas. It was always expected that I would travel to them, which was understandable since all the family lived in that area. But it got really old once we had kids and careers... and other places we wanted to spend our time off. The reality is we just never had much of a relationship after I moved out. I wish that had been different. There were no ill feelings either way. That's just the way things evolved.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

I had very little interaction with my own parents after I moved out at 18. During college, I went home to visit once or twice per year between semesters. I lived about 8 hours away by car. We spoke by phone maybe once a month. Over the years, this dwindled down to one visit every 2 or 3 years and a phone call 2 or 3 times per year. Neither parent ever visited me in Texas. It was always expected that I would travel to them, which was understandable since all the family lived in that area. But it got really old once we had kids and careers... and other places we wanted to spend our time off. The reality is we just never had much of a relationship after I moved out. I wish that had been different. There were no ill feelings either way. That's just the way things evolved.
Not trying to call you out, but this reminded me of our situation "back in the old days".

When I moved 1200 miles from home after college (1978), I felt it was MY obligation to travel home periodically, so I did 3-4 times per year (when single). We also talk by phone once a week, taking turns who would call and pay the long distance charge ($0.10/minute on Sundays).

Within a year after getting married in 1980, we actually moved to within 50 miles of my parents, but were now 1200 miles from hers. We also now had DS. So, now we had weekly phone calls with both sets of parents, and at least 2 "obligation vacations" per year, going back to visit as a family. DW and DS would usually go alone another 1-2 times per year. We would usually see my folks about once a month, on average. Later, we moved back close to DW's parents, and then the calls and trips were in the other direction.

This all just seemed normal to me. We were the ones moving around, we should be the ones to put in the extra effort for face to face time, so we did.

Side note: DW's sister and husband (and son) moved about 1500 miles away 4 years ago. While they talk often, she has not been back to visit her mom in all that time. We did take DMIL out to visit them one time, but she has had it with flying at 89, and will not travel there, or anywhere, again.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #40

DDad and I were estranged for almost 30 years after he divorced DM.
DW encouraged me to mend the relationship around 10 years ago. We would see each other once a year and call maybe 4 times a year from then till he died last year. Glad she convinced me to forgive him and that we had a few good times before he was gone. DW was always the wiser one.
Sorry to read of your loss.