Question for cops and retired/former cops

I have been tempted to try to see how long I can keep these solicitors on the phone before they hang up on me.

I have been tempted to try to see how long I can keep these solicitors on the phone before they hang up on me.

One interesting way is to answer the phone and just not talk...

Or just put it on speaker and talk to someone in the house like it is not on..

Borrow someone's 4 year old. I get my daughter on the phone with these guys, and I guess we starve her for attention, because she loves to talk to them. She would be on there for hours if the solicitor didn't hang up eventually. And so far I have never heard a solicitor get abusive. And seriously, how could you get verbally abusive (on a recorded line) with a sweet, innocent, talkative 4 year old? :D

I only make contributions to the police union when they stop me in my car. Oddly, my efforts are not greeted kindly.... <jk>

Years ago was getting calls from a firefighter fundraiser organization. Found that yes, the firefighters got a tiny cut, but since it cost them zero effort they were happy to take the money. OK fine, but it won't be coming from me. $2 in a firefighters boot for the same effect as $20 over the phone? a no brainer.

Yeah THOSE are a bunch of irritating noises! and down the derailing thread; what's up with the new generation flashing lights? Are there no studies showing an increased accident count from blinded drivers trying to avoid the coruscating scintillating nightmare lightshow that sends me to the edge of epileptic seizure? For real, I've pulled over rather than pass a time or two. I don't mind slowing down and moving into the other lane to pass the cop car parked half way into traffic to provide a shield for the cop - but dayum! I'd like to see if there is anything in front of the nightmare light show! That cop safety isn't safe for me.

And barely on topic, my question for ex-police is when the siren suddenly changes styles (like from a long slow wail to a fast hi/low sound) is the cop doing that manually or does it happen automatic? If he/she is doing it manually why, and isn't that distracting from driving to fiddle with a siren?

The reason those siren options are available is that some people are "tone deaf" to specific frequencies so they may not hear a siren. I was amazed at how "tuned out" people get when they're inside their cars with the stereo, cell phone, applying makeup, reading, etc. And then they're expected to pay attention to what's going on outside the glass?

So changing the siren (sometimes) would get their attention and they'd move out of the way so I could get to the burglary in progress or whatever.

The reason those siren options are available is that some people are "tone deaf" to specific frequencies so they may not hear a siren. I was amazed at how "tuned out" people get when they're inside their cars with the stereo,...
I can blast a pair of car speakers far louder than an ambulance or a police siren, but those flashing lights always get my attention.

First I think it's a sign of impending cranial nerve damage. Then I realize that I have a light bar coming up behind me...

Back
Top Bottom