Question (mainly for women)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Question (mainly for women)

This is a weird question on short notice:

I shall go to mall tomorrow.

To buy jeans & slacks.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning what clothes to buy?

For a 60 y o ?

'expletive deleted'

Have noticed nothing comes in my size or shape.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jeans never fit me correctly because I carry more of my weight around the ol' midriff. I also hate the feeling of too tight of a waistband.

I am very fond of the 97% cotton/3% spandex stretch jeans, with elastic waistband and slash pockets. Just My Size offers them in my size 18.
Here's an example
http://www.justmysize.com/webapp/wcs...iteSearch&cmFV=

Look for the Cherokee brand of stretch jeans in the regular women's (not plus size) department.

Another favorite of mine is black knit slacks with elastic waistband. Black goes with EVERYTHING and is very slimming. Navy is another good choice.
I buy the slim cut with either the straight leg or tapered leg.
Here's an example
http://www.blair.com/product/Womens/...sc/111/105.uts
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I gained a lot of weight and lost a lost of weight (115 215 130).
Hate shopping.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I can sympathize with you since I hate shopping for pants . . Last year I discovered Lee Jeans in a short length which fit me perfectly and they are so comfortable so I bought several pair . I think they sell them at most stores . If I were you I'd just take tons of pants into the dressing room and try them on if you find a winner buy a few pairs. As Yellow bird said you always need basic black pants .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I can sympathize with you since I hate shopping for pants . . Last year I discovered Lee Jeans in a short length which fit me perfectly and they are so comfortable so I bought several pair . I think they sell them at most stores . If I were you I'd just take tons of pants into the dressing room and try them on if you find a winner buy a few pairs. As Yellow bird said you always need basic black pants .

heeeheeeheeeee
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Buy what's comfortable......I find cheap clothes are usually not comfortable.....I like American Eagle jeans.....If you are 130 you may be in a size 8 or 10.....jeans, long sleeve soft cotton jersey tees, a soft, roomy pull-over sweater or sweatshirt and a hip length or longer cardigan sweater in cream or navy......Lucky Brand jeans can be expensive, but they are usually really soft and already "broken in".......That's going to be my "retirement clothes".....and that happens in 14 days!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

10AM Monday (6 Dec) shall go to Sears & see what the crap they have.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh, and for the winter, if you are in a climate where you need them.....a couple turtle neck sweaters.......for under that cardigan sweater......You mentioned being 60......I don't think that should have to be a determining factor in what you wear, as long as you don't wear frilly "baby" and "trendy" clothing. A 60 year old can dress like a conservative 25 year old.
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

For jeans, I agree that the 3% spandex makes a big difference in overall comfort. They have more give and I don't mind wearing them a little more fitted that way.

I really like shopping at Kohl's. Their sales are very good - I almost always ending paying less when I get to the register than I thought I would. I have good luck wearing their own brand of jeans, but they also carry a number of name-brands. And they have lots of long-sleeve t's and turtlenecks, sweaters, etc. on sale right now.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
For jeans, I agree that the 3% spandex makes a big difference in overall comfort. They have more give and I don't mind wearing them a little more fitted that way.

I really like shopping at Kohl's. Their sales are very good - I almost always ending paying less when I get to the register than I thought I would. I have good luck wearing their own brand of jeans, but they also carry a number of name-brands. And they have lots of long-sleeve t's and turtlenecks, sweaters, etc. on sale right now.
Might look at Kohl's.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
10AM Monday (6 Dec) shall go to Sears & see what the crap they have.

You sound like me... I do agree that Kohl's is a nice place to shop.

IMO, as far as your clothing goes...wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. Jeans with elastic bands and long sweaters are my favorites. Try to find sweaters that feel soft and warm against your skin. The comfort you feel will show on your face....
Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I hate shopping for clothes, so I go only once every two years. But I am not afraid of the sales clerks. I use them, "I think I am size X, I want to try on several pairs of black slacks. Can you please help me pick some out in my size to try on? Thanks!"

Then there is no looking on my part, since they know where ALL the black slacks in my size are in the store. They bring me the slacks to try on.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Oh...one more thing. Not sayin' you need a new one...but proper fitting bras make all the difference in the world in the way a woman looks and feels.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll shop once a year if I have to. Twice if I have an event.

At Sears I found jeans that I really like, Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda" style. Roomy enough in the waist without having a lot of excess in the butt and thigh. I also like Sears for the Lands End department. I like a good quality cotton sweater. I get hot and itchy in wool and I can't wear layers, it's just too much. Lands End has a good selection of cotton sweaters.

I agree about the basic black pants. I had a favorite pair that I bought for my concert ushering job and then I wore them for everything that didn't require a skirt. Then I lost about 25 lbs and they don't fit anymore. I couldn't find the same ones in a smaller size and had to substitute another style.

Good luck with the shopping, Khan. There are all kinds of bargains and sales out there but I have a personal policy of not going in a store between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Take several styles and sizes into the dressing room... I find with current jeans that boot cut make me feel a lot slimmer and taller. They give a longer look to your leg and balance out wider hips and thighs better than tapered.

I like Kohl's too... I wear a petite size and have a pair of black Lees cotton slacks (boot cut again) that I got at Kohl's that are really flattering.

Good luck!!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I second Kohls for jeans. They have good long sleeve plain colored teeshirts, too.

And Khan, you probably will look pretty cute in your new togs at 130 lbs! Go ahead, pick up some tinted lip balm too.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My approach is to find a pair of pants (or anything else) that feels and looks good, and then to buy a pair in two or three colours, e.g. black, brown, navy. Same with shirts. Then mix and match. For travel, something stretchy is most comfortable. This time of year I usually wear casual pants, a T shirt and sweatshirt over top (+parka, gloves, boots!). I like cotton socks with no band around the ankle. Tabi is my favourite brand, but might not be available in the US. I often include a scarf, both for warmth and to vary outfits. Another useful item is a dressy indoor jacket. Just put it over a black top and pants and you're ready to party!

If my trip is more than 48 hours I will check in a suitcase. I fold my clothes and wrap them in the plastic sleeves that the drycleaners give you. I put business clothes on hangers and hang them up immediately I get there, and the wrinkles fall out overnight; often I don't even have to iron them in the morning. Generally I avoid "high maintenance" clothes even for business.

I have a large tote bag that I got at a conference and it is wonderful because it has a zipper and can take all the carry on you could possibly need. For long trips I always toss an extra pair of underpants and socks in the tote bag!!! If you use any medications, make sure they are in there too.

Khan, I know you hate shopping, and one idea that you might consider is to call one of the department stores before you go to see if they have a personal shopper. I did this once. Just gave her my size and preferences. When I arrived she had a rack of clothes ready for me to try on in a spacious private dressing room. When I chose what I wanted, she was able to get me everything on sale. It was a breeze: LBYM with panache and style!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh...one more thing. Not sayin' you need a new one...but proper fitting bras make all the difference in the world in the way a woman looks and feels.
Holy bobbin' up and down girls, it's so true! I got fitted for a bra a few months ago due to weight loss and a changed size. A-MAZING! The next day friends asked me if I'd suddenly lost even more weight. And everything fits better. I look better, I feel better. Utterly worth it.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like Macy's for clothes and Victoria's Secret for underwear. I am so sorry you are having to shop during the Christmas season. Finding a clerk to help you may be hard. There are skinny jeans that are really leggings. Good ones are as thick as jeans. They stretch and have a "sort of" stretch waist band (no zipper/closure). They are really comfortable and can be a good choice when you just can't find the right size jeans. I know Macy's and Nostrum's carry them (sock department at Nostrum's). I like to wear them with a roomy top long enough to cover my fanny (think a big white men's style shirt or a tunic...maybe with a red scarf swooped around your neck...and flat heel boots (riding boot style). Some boots can be as comfortable as tennis shoes.

I agree with other recommendations that you select a number of items before you head to the fitting rooms. I like to take one of everything in a size I think I'll wear and another in a larger size...just in case!

Another tip...don't let yourself get hungry. It's been my experience that a cup of coffee and a nice salad (or cookie) can do wonders for my attitude when I've tried on 10 pairs of jeans and nothing fits.

Good luck to you!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh Khan, sorry to hear you hate the experience so much! Have you ever caught an episode of "what not to wear" on TLC? that show gives good tips for all different women!

A few good rules for bottoms:

*Find pants that fit the widest part of your hip and better to go straight down (straight leg or wide straight leg n- read the tag - it should say straight leg, boot cut, relaxed fit etc) or go for a boot cut - tapering is not attractive on anyone! Then get the waist taken in - if you can't do that yourself do it cheaply at the dry cleaner - since you are most likely going to wear them for a while it will be worth it! Jeans will shrink anywhere between an inch to inch and half so wash before you have them shortened if you need that too, but also will shrink width wise.

*Brands like DKNY and Calvin Klein make nice jeans/bottoms for women that aren't low-waisted like teen jeans! You can find a lot of these at Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you - they will usually have a whole rack just for these two designers so you don't have to swim thru the store and the jeans are mixed in w/ the other separates for them.

*Dark wash jeans are best - look neater and wear out nicely vs anything with fade, whiskers (bleh!) and a lot of the other crapola jeans have on them lately. Too light color look more casual but can also look dated.

*length - go as long as you can tolerate/won't step on - will make your legs look longer - so make sure you wear shoes you wear a lot. (reminder, wash before you tailor!)

It may seem like a lot of fuss (and it is) but you will be glad you put the effort in...You have to put on clothes every day (unless you live on a nudist colony and haven't told us or I missed that!) so you might as well buy clothes that fit you well - don't worry about size - look at fit, every designer sizes differently - so annoying! and agree you should take a size up and down if you think you like something to try on...but nice part is if you find a designer/brand you like, you don't have to guess as much.