Question re: reading the paper on a tablet w/o wi-fi

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you use a tablet with wi-fi to read newspapers and periodicals, and you know you are going to be stuck in a place that doesn't have wi-fi, can you download the paper/magazine beforehand, and read it in standalone mode?

(Ordinarily I would ask the paper's customer service about the modes of digital delivery, but our experience with newspaper customer service has been shaky - they don't seem well informed).

Thanks,

Amethyst

Last edited:
I read the Wall St. Journal six mornings a week on my iPad. The whole paper is downloaded while I sleep, and when I get up it's right there for me to read with my morning coffee.

I discontinued my print subscription a few months ago because I actually like the reading experience better on the iPad.

I subscribe to Macleans magazine, which notifies me by email when a new issue is ready for downloading. Once downloaded, I can read it anywhere. I too prefer the electronic version.

Just another thought. I also have come to prefer reading books on my iPad. I buy the Kindle editions from Amazon and use the Kindle app, or the iBooks app from Apple, or either of a couple of other apps for books checked out from local public library systems. They are all very easy to use and most of the time preferable to paper books.

Probably depends on the publisher, some have PDF downloads. You could click through each page save it as a file ( html ) but that could get old with large number of pages.

Well what do you know, I just googled this...

Apple iPad Tip - How To Save Web Pages for Offline Viewing - YouTube

and for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.nikodroid.offline&hl=en

Thanks for the tip! unfortunately this app is no longer free. It costs $4.99 for the regular and $9.99 for the pro version. There is a free app called offline reader, but you have to type in the URL; it won't accept paste. The offline pages app (the one in the video) is far superior.

In addition to the app in video, check out instapaper, readability, and pocket.

I use my reading list to save later-reading articles. I also have the home pages of blogs I read in my reading list.

Back
Top Bottom