Join Early Retirement Today

Quick, sell the house!!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Quick, sell the house!!

I think our home just doubled in value.

We live on a ridge overlooking a gulch crossed by a two-lane bridge that's a couple hundred yards below & to the side of our house. Although we have a great view from a larger lot on a cul-de-sac, we're also entertained by two rush hours every workday (pretend it's the roar of the ocean). When we were looking at this house six years ago I remember saying "That traffic is annoying but we sure can't let this house get away..." The subdued roar is at the edge of our hearing but we've learned to tune it out.

Over the years the state has considered expanding the bridge to four lanes, which would make us feel like we're living next to a highway overpass. However the last price tag was over $100M and I'm sure that today it'd approach $200M. It's tough to justify that expense for an island populated by a million people, even if the bridge is nearly 75 years old.

But the state is getting sensitive about its infrastructure. A couple weeks ago a truck hauling an oversize load on H-1 accidentally crunched a pedestrian overpass. The overpass was cracked badly enough that the state's main highway was closed to homeward-bound commuters for nearly 16 hours while road crews demolished the overpass. People were stuck in traffic for six hours and the state took a lot of flack for "overreacting" to the problem. (Subsequent photo analysis has revealed that the state did the right thing.) So the DoT staff is a little sensitive to cracked concrete this month.

This morning I heard a horrific crunch and felt the shock all the way up at the house. The sirens clued us in to an accident on the bridge but we couldn't see it. (I've learned that a car flipped into the concrete guardrail and cracked it, although all the occupants survived.) However it's been real quiet down there since all lanes have been blocked off.

A little hiking revealed that the cracked railing is surrounded by DoT trucks, with a dozen hardhat guys standing around scratching their heads and uttering comments like "@#$%!!" and "*&^%~!!" (Did I mention that it's raining?) The road's still closed but we can hear intermittent banging & power tools. I'm wondering if this repair will be a dab of epoxy or if the bridge will be out of service for a few weeks.

But for now we're enjoying the lovely rustling tradewinds and the crowing of the gulch's roosters. Except for the intermittent cursing, it sounds like 2 AM Sunday morning! Sure, when we sold the place we'd have to disclose that there's traffic noise, but reading a disclosure is a lot different than hearing the reality. By coincidence a comparable home is for sale a little further up the gulch. I wonder how fast we could close the two transactions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Quick, sell the house!!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
But for now we're enjoying the lovely rustling tradewinds and the crowing of the gulch's roosters. Except for the intermittent cursing, it sounds like 2 AM Sunday morning! Sure, when we sold the place we'd have to disclose that there's traffic noise, but reading a disclosure is a lot different than hearing the reality. By coincidence a comparable home is for sale a little further up the gulch. I wonder how fast we could close the two transactions...
Here's hoping they never fix the bridge -- better yet, that they rebuild it away from where you are.

A little off topic here, but if said bridge bustles again, a solid stand of bamboo (maybe Buddha Belly or Oldhamii) works wonders as a noise break, looks great (at least to some), and creates its own soft, rustling, rubbing noise when the wind blows which is very peaceful. Of course you'd want to place it away from any views you enjoy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just call in an air strike. That'll take care of the bridge.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
Just call in an air strike. That'll take care of the bridge.*
Two hundred feet of det cord... I'm tempted to bid on the demolition contract!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds to me like you need to buy an old box truck and 'accidently' lose control at a strategic place...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote