Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken 2015 requires Intuit ID for quotes?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken 2015 requires Intuit ID for quotes?

Out of nowhere, Quicken prompts me to sign in with my Intuit ID for quotes only (I don't want to download transactions or give them financial institution passwords - and forget the "password vault"). This is new behavior to me as of 5/26/15.

I see there have been complaints about this since 2014 but it is annoying for sure.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken occasionally makes me log in with my Intuit ID & password from time to time, but not everytime I update my accounts. I think it started around the beginning of the year, and there is no rhyme or reason for the irregular frequency that I can tell.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

One more reason to export that Quicken data while it still can do that and switch to something else. Anything else.

Monitizing the customer base...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had a Quicken ID forever. It hasn't hurt my family at all. We simply pull down quotes but don't push up balances and holdings.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #5

Oh, wow. I had never heard of an Intuit ID before (I've been using Quicken since DOS--and TurboTax most years since 1993). Looks like it is mandatory for Quicken 2015 and thereafter and adds nothing to the functionality I've been using for years.

Don't think I will choose to do this when the time comes that Intuit strips easy updating capability from my 2013 Deluxe.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken 2015 is truly awful. I was forced to upgrade, with no warning, from Quicken 2012. I'd been running it on a Windows XP VM on a Mac, but the new version wouldn't run on XP so I had to buy and install a new version of Windows as well. Once the new version was running, I had to redo all of my automatically downloaded accounts.

And what did I get for all of this work? A slower buggier version of Quicken 2012. Really, stay away from Intuit products if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I didn't enter my password when prompted yesterday. It occurred to me that I probably purchased my prior version (2012/Windows) about three years ago, which is how long they let you go until they extract some more money from you to upgrade. I thought, "well, maybe this is just a re-verification for my current 2015 version", so I entered it today and tried a quote download.

I was alerted that a new release (R8) is available. I looked at the "What's New" box, and it had only one thing:

"FIXED: Some customers getting an unexpected/incorrect password prompt preventing them from accessing their data file in R6/R7 version(s)"

I haven't downloaded their bright and shiny update because I had a lot of difficulty updating to R7 and ended up having to get their big package consisting of all prior updates to get it going without failure, even though I had installed each as they had come available. There's sunshine here today, so I think I'll postpone that particular adventure.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

The problems with Intuit is why I ditched Quicken a couple of years ago for Moneydance. It's not as fancy, but I'm not missing any functionality and it gets the job done.

As an added benefit, their customer service is excellent. I had an occasional issue downloading transactions from Vanguard. I opened a ticket with them and they found the issue and pointed me to a new version with the fix. I haven't had any problems since then, so I assume the fix worked. I doubt I'd get that level of service from Intuit.

Not to mention it's cross platform, so I don't have to deal with running it in a vm on my Mac.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #9

I've checked out Moneydance and the missing functionality and spartan interface are deal-breakers for me. Quicken does what they do because they are, far and away, the best, and so they can get a lot crappier before it'll be enough to get many of us to consider switching to something like Moneydance.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Out of nowhere, Quicken prompts me to sign in with my Intuit ID for quotes only (I don't want to download transactions or give them financial institution passwords - and forget the "password vault"). This is new behavior to me as of 5/26/15.

I see there have been complaints about this since 2014 but it is annoying for sure.
Sounds like the market price of second hand copies of older versions of Quicken will be increasing...

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #11

If you're not going to use Quicken's electronic connection capability then you can easily find a reason to not use Quicken, specifically, so second hand copies of older versions of Quicken will be of little value.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've checked out Moneydance and the missing functionality and spartan interface are deal-breakers for me. Quicken does what they do because they are, far and away, the best, and so they can get a lot crappier before it'll be enough to get many of us to consider switching to something like Moneydance.

I'm curious, what missing functionality?

The interface is spartan, but I've gotten used to it and at this point might even prefer it to Quicken, since it's nice and clean.

But after learning how Moneydance works - much like I had to do when I went from MS Money to Quicken - I haven't noticed any loss of functionality. I suspect it's because I didn't use all the functionality Quicken offered, so I'm curious what I was missing.

For me, I know what I'm not missing with Quicken and that was forced upgrades that rarely went smoothly. I didn't mind paying the money - overall I think it's a good value - but having to deal with the upgrade problems was annoying.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #13

I don't have a full list handy, but Lifetime Planner, for starters. That's worth the price of admission for me all by itself, and we get all the rest of what Quicken offers effectively for free.

My Quicken upgrades have gone very smoothly over the last six years, and that is including data going back to 1999.

Oh yeah - that's another thing that Moneydance won't support - my data going back to 1999! It is unacceptable to me that there is no way to import every bit of Quicken data and make use of it all to perform all the same functions. I recently had to dig back and track a holding through mergers, splits, etc., to figure its cost basis. I couldn't do that if I had started with a current balance in Moneydance.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #14

kiki and bUU (and others),

Just did a little searching and found that moneydance purports to be able to import QIF files/data. On the Help section of its site, it states that categories and accounts will be carried over. BUT it warns of limitations (and resultant manual corrections), particularly with respect to transfers between accounts.

Has anyone tried doing that with extensive quicken files? (mine go back to 1985 or 86, and became extensive in '92). The last quicken upgrade that I did was bad enough....

Maybe I'll give it a shot with a backup (and a spare backup on a thumb drive!).
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't have a full list handy, but Lifetime Planner, for starters. That's worth the price of admission for me all by itself, and we get all the rest of what Quicken offers effectively for free.

My Quicken upgrades have gone very smoothly over the last six years, and that is including data going back to 1999.

Oh yeah - that's another thing that Moneydance won't support - my data going back to 1999! It is unacceptable to me that there is no way to import every bit of Quicken data and make use of it all to perform all the same functions. I recently had to dig back and track a holding through mergers, splits, etc., to figure its cost basis. I couldn't do that if I had started with a current balance in Moneydance.

I never used Lifetime Planner, so that wasn't a factor in my decision.

I agree that having to migrate data is a big pain. I've done this twice now and hopefully won't have to do it again. This is one reason I'm happy that I don't have forced upgrades. I can keep running the same version of Moneydance for the next 10+ years without losing any functionality.

Both times when I migrated to a different app I started from scratch. You can migrate your data, but you'll spend a lot of time fixing it up. I really don't need to know how much I spent for something in 2004 and if I do, I can load up the old quicken/msmoney file and take a look. I did reenter all my investment data for currently held investments. Fortunately I don't trade much, so entering this info wasn't too bad.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
kiki and bUU (and others),

Just did a little searching and found that moneydance purports to be able to import QIF files/data. On the Help section of its site, it states that categories and accounts will be carried over. BUT it warns of limitations (and resultant manual corrections), particularly with respect to transfers between accounts.

Has anyone tried doing that with extensive quicken files? (mine go back to 1985 or 86, and became extensive in '92). The last quicken upgrade that I did was bad enough....

Maybe I'll give it a shot with a backup (and a spare backup on a thumb drive!).

I originally imported my Quicken file, but I didn't want to spend the time reconciling my non-investment accounts, so I started from scratch.

Moneydance offers a free trial, which I think should allow you to try and import your Quicken data. You can always give it a shot and see what it does, but I'm guessing you'll have to clean up a lot. Plus, every finance program has it's own quirks. There are a couple of things that I have to handle differently than in Quicken. This makes a clean migration even less likely.

If you try it, let us know how it works out.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Returning to the topic that prompted this thread: I didn't install the R8 update when available, but the next time I started Quicken, the update installed itself. No choice for me, which I don't think is "best practice". It did its thing and made me restart Windows to "update Quicken components".

Old 05-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Another oddness that I just found out after the R8 update is: my data for the lifetime planner (QLP) disappeared!

Like others, I think that tool is useful for a broad overview of things although I wouldn't base a retirement decision solely on that, it's more (to me) just a confirmation.

I entered my previous data several years ago and made assumptions that I now know with more certainty so I was probably due to revisit anyway but still, c'mon boys... get it together.

I don't know if others have/will see this behavior.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Another oddness that I just found out after the R8 update is: my data for the lifetime planner (QLP) disappeared!

Like others, I think that tool is useful for a broad overview of things although I wouldn't base a retirement decision solely on that, it's more (to me) just a confirmation.

I entered my previous data several years ago and made assumptions that I now know with more certainty so I was probably due to revisit anyway but still, c'mon boys... get it together.

I don't know if others have/will see this behavior.
I upgraded to R8 a few weeks ago as part of an install on a new machine...my old laptop was crapping out and I got a new laptop- and installed my old version of quicken on it, and copied my quicken file over. As part of that process it did a bunch of updates, including R8.

I just checked my QLP data - it's there. (I haven't used it since the previous laptop.)

So... that's a convoluted way of saying I didn't lose QLP data - but my upgrade path was done from the factory discs to R8 as part of the installation.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think you just live a cleaner life than I do, rodi. It's good to hear other experiences!