Quicken moving to subscription model

When I moved to Moneydance, I mostly started from scratch. The only items I imported or manually entered was for investments. It's been a few years, so I don't remember if I did this from scratch or used some of the imported data from Quicken.

I tried to import all of my Quicken data, but it wasn't clean and I didn't want to spend the time reconciling all the transaction/accounts.

i suppose there would be no reason to import years of transaction, would there?

I could access old information, if ever needed, just by keeping the old Q program on the old machine, and accessing if needed. However, then I'd need to keep the old machine around....not loving that idea either.

I could access old information, if ever needed, just by keeping the old Q program on the old machine, and accessing if needed. However, then I'd need to keep the old machine around....not loving that idea either.

If the new program accepts csv file imports, just export the Quicken to csv and then import to the new program. If not, just start the new program at the beginning of a year. I did that a few years ago and it wasn't a big deal.

Here's additional info posted by smayer97 on another Quicken forum a short time ago:

Ok, I just got off the phone with a Quicken Rep. after emailing the Office of the President. This is exactly why I have not upgraded and will not upgrade to Quicken Premier 2017. Per our conversation, I asked specifically if they were planning or rolling the subscription service out in the fall on Quicken 2018 and the answer is YES!! I also asked if Quicken 2017 would have support until 2020 or would it follow the Subscription service when 2018 comes out. The answer again was that the 2017 version would change to the subscription model and be good for one year.. And the best part is that it will also lock your data to read only. So there you have it, directly from the individuals answering questions at the Office of the President. He said they are taking feedback and passing on this information on. I urge each of you to contact the Office of the President with your concerns about the subscription model they are trying to force on US. Here is the link:
https://www.quicken.com/modal_forms/nojs/webform/18326
It is really pathetic at how Quicken Kathryn is playing this issue down. Do you really think we are that stupid Quicken Kathryn? A big thank you to those of you that have spelled out that locking our data to read only is a MAJOR issue"

Ok, I just got off the phone with a Quicken Rep. after emailing the Office of the President. This is exactly why I have not upgraded and will not upgrade to Quicken Premier 2017. Per our conversation, I asked specifically if they were planning or rolling the subscription service out in the fall on Quicken 2018 and the answer is YES!! I also asked if Quicken 2017 would have support until 2020 or would it follow the Subscription service when 2018 comes out. The answer again was that the 2017 version would change to the subscription model and be good for one year.. And the best part is that it will also lock your data to read only.

I think Quicken would have legal problems making those changes to the 2017 version considering the following note is included with Quicken 2017:

Credit score report and monitoring alerts (Quicken for Windows) and data download from participating financial institutions or other parties are available until April 2020

That's my thinking, but I'd ditch the old machine and install in a VM.

I have data in both Quicken and MS Money going back to the late 90's. I've only needed to look at this data a couple of times. It's been a few years since the last time and even then it was for minor stuff.

Beyond tracking investments, most of the other stuff you can ditch.

However, I do print out yearly account balances and income/expenses to pdf files. Anything more I don't need.

I think Quicken would have legal problems making those changes to the 2017 version considering the following note is included with Quicken 2017:
Here's a direct quote of the weasel words from the Quicken 2017 EULA (found here https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2017):
Quicken said:
9. CHANGES.

We reserve the right to change this Agreement at any time, and the changes will be effective when posted on our website for the Software or when we notify you by other means. We may also change or discontinue the Software, in whole or in part. Your continued use of the Software following such notice indicates your agreement to the changes.

Net-net: time to find and spin-up an alternative.

Last edited:
That's my thinking, but I'd ditch the old machine and install in a VM.

I have data in both Quicken and MS Money going back to the late 90's. I've only needed to look at this data a couple of times. It's been a few years since the last time and even then it was for minor stuff.

Beyond tracking investments, most of the other stuff you can ditch.

However, I do print out yearly account balances and income/expenses to pdf files. Anything more I don't need.

What's a VM?

Anybody thinking of using free Mint and maybe supplementing that with Excel type spreadsheets?

What's a VM?

Sorry HadEnuff, this is geek talk.

VM stands for "Virtual Machine". Some of our more highly technical members are comfortable with this concept and use it.

Basically, what it means is this, in simple terms... On your computer, you run a program that actually appears to be another computer. I know that sounds weird, and it can be. But the crux of it is if you run that program multiple times, your one computer can appear to be 2 or 3 or 4!

And each of these "little computers" can be frozen in time and stored away. Later, you unfreeze them and continue where you left off.

I think this is partly what tulak was getting at. Contain and freeze dry the old program in a VM that only needs to be unfrozen occasionally. No real hardware is required to store in a closet. It is just a file -- a chunk of data -- stored away that can appear to be a computer.

Confused? Sorry, I tried to help. This concept is not easy enough for non-techies to use yet. If this makes no sense, don't worry. You don't have to use it. I watch all my friends' eyes glaze over when I wax poetically about VMs. :)

Anybody thinking of using free Mint and maybe supplementing that with Excel type spreadsheets?

I used Quicken for over a decade, but dropped it in 2010. There were problems with the budgeting and cashflow functions and I got tired of searching the web for workarounds. Intuit was slow to resolve problems and provide updates.

My current process uses Fidelity Full View to accumulate balances and categorize transactions. On a monthly basis, I transfer category totals and balances to Excel for analysis and long-term tracking. This links into the retirement withdrawal plan, tax plan, etc. All the Quicken history is in Excel as well, although I rarely access it.

I like the flexibility of Excel to customize things exactly the way I want, and to link up all my related analyses. I used Excel extensively when working so I'm comfortable with this approach. I just needed something external to Excel to do the dirty work of automatically accumulating and categorizing transactions. Full View works quite well for that. I've also used Mint and Personal Capital, but since all our accounts are at Fidelity, I have fewer security concerns with Full View.

VM stands for "Virtual Machine". Some of our more highly technical members are comfortable with this concept and use it.

Basically, what it means is this, in simple terms... On your computer, you run a program that actually appears to be another computer. I know that sounds weird, and it can be. But the crux of it is if you run that program multiple times, your one computer can appear to be 2 or 3 or 4!

And each of these "little computers" can be frozen in time and stored away. Later, you unfreeze them and continue where you left off.

I think this is partly what tulak was getting at. Contain and freeze dry the old program in a VM that only needs to be unfrozen occasionally. No real hardware is required to store in a closet. It is just a file -- a chunk of data -- stored away that can appear to be a computer.

Confused? Sorry, I tried to help. This concept is not easy enough for non-techies to use yet. If this makes no sense, don't worry. You don't have to use it. I watch all my friends' eyes glaze over when I wax poetically about VMs. :)

OK, thanks. I understand the concept. Probably won't mess with it though.

Sigh... I've been using Quicken for a Very long time. I guess I will have to drag my old Linux box out of mothballs to install GNUcash. I used it to operate the home automation system in my last house. I sold that house in 2012 and haven't fired up that box since. I wanted to wait until I got moved in to the new house before I started playing with computers. I already dug the big desktop out of storage to install Windows 10 last summer. It is still sitting under the dining table in the motor home. Computers and software are supposed to make life easier? Seems like they just keep sucking time out of me!

Computers and software are supposed to make life easier? Seems like they just keep sucking [-]time [/-] money out of me!
Fixed that.

EVERYBODY wants in on the subscription game. I am getting very tired of it.

Sigh... I've been using Quicken for a Very long time. I guess I will have to drag my old Linux box out of mothballs to install GNUcash.

You can run GnuCash on Linux, macOS, or MS Windows. Your choice. :)

When I moved to Quicken 2016, I wasn't happy at all that it does not work without being logged in. I certainly won't be happy with a subscription. Problem is that I don't know of a good alternative. I don't use the download function so hopefully the basic expense tracking and reporting that I use it for will stay working. I don't really want to learn a new program or switch over to a spreadsheet and I really don't want to lose the 20+ years of data I have in the program file.

Thanks for providing the explanation. I use a Mac with Parallels and they make it really easy to install a VM - a computer within a computer running any operating system you like (Windows, Linux, Mac). I know Microsoft and VMWare offer free VM software, so you could install their program, then install Windows in their program, and it's like having another computer available.

It's not that hard, but it can be a bit more work for those not comfortable installing their own operating system. But as a bonus, it's mostly free (except the Windows license), so at most you're only out a few hours of trying to make something work if it doesn't pan out. And hopefully the Windows license isn't an issue, since all you need is their product (license) key, which you might already have.

Also, keep in mind that if you're on Windows, they have (or at least did) a compatibility setting for applications. So if you had a program that ran under Windows 95, you could tell Windows 10 to run your program in Windows 95 compatibility mode. That might be another, much easier, option for Windows users.

I don't use the download function so hopefully the basic expense tracking and reporting that I use it for will stay working. I don't really want to learn a new program or switch over to a spreadsheet and I really don't want to lose the 20+ years of data I have in the program file.

If you don't use the download function then you should be ok. Don't upgrade and stay on the old version. I've been on quicken since 09 when MS money retired. The only reason I've upgraded quicken was to keep the download function working. But I already do about half of my accounts manually so may start doing all manually. There are also some tools/scripts floating around to do some of the update functions.

There was a mention of a quicken forum thread on this topic, here https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken...users-data-read-only-if-they?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][page]=4#topic-reply-list

A quicken rep popped in a few hours ago and stated There will be no 'retroactive' updates to existing Quicken products; any changes will only impact future Quicken products.

Last edited:
If you don't use the download function then you should be ok. Don't upgrade and stay on the old version. I've been on quicken since 09 when MS money retired. The only reason I've upgraded quicken was to keep the download function working. But I already do about half of my accounts manually so may start doing all manually. There are also some tools/scripts floating around to do some of the update functions.

There was a mention of a quicken forum thread on this topic, here https://getsatisfaction.com/quicken...users-data-read-only-if-they?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][page]=4#topic-reply-list

A quicken rep popped in a few hours ago and stated There will be no 'retroactive' updates to existing Quicken products; any changes will only impact future Quicken products.

Well, much like their old parent company did with the TurboTax rootkit fiasco of years ago -- they lost my trust with Quicken 2016. This business of having to log in to use the product is just plain trash. I don't trust them.

I will move to something else after 2016 expires. Not sure what, but I'll survive.

They are NOT getting money out of me! I may devote some time to replacing such software, but I won't be a customer.
Yeah, Hermit, me either. I was just trying to make a somewhat humorous point.

I know what you are saying. Heck, if I have to retire and fix gnucash (it is open source), I'll do it. Not paying for Quicken. Tired of all subscription models.

I submitted a complaint/request not to go to subscription model via the link earlier in this thread.
Yesterday I received a call from Allison from the office of the President.

She assured me that Q2016 and Q2017 (if purchased before Q2018 is released) would NOT change to require a subscription before the 3 year expiration.

2018 will be rolled out in November... She suggested upgrading to 2017 prior to November to add that extra year of download capability. (not going to happen in the rodi household.) She was very clear that current users would not be effected.

She confirmed that the subscription would turn the data file to read only if you let the subscription lapse. I told her this was ransomware and would not go over well from a PR perspective. She seemed to realize this was an issue.

I pointed out that many (most?) quicken users tracked their money as a way of finding places to cut costs... Affectively increasing the cost by 300% (1 year subscription = price of previous 3 years of downloadable data) would cause their core user base to flee.

She said that all of these calls and emails (webform) are being compiled and submitted to upper management. Hey - it's free... so if you feel strongly, fill out the webform and let your voice be heard.... maybe we can influence Quicken into not committing suicide.

Their pricing is off. They need to provide a discount for the subscription model, and a guarantee about updates. As you pointed out, it is too expensive.

I have always been one to have the CD in hand when I pay for software. But when it came time to upgrade my Office 365 programs, I went with subscription.

MS comes out with major revisions every 3 years (when does Quicken do that?) Current subscription for Office 365 Personal is $100/year plus sales tax, and it includes everything they make. So for three years, this amounts to $230 (with 9.5% WA State sales tax).

The equivalent software package containing all the same software in non-subscription version is Office 365 Professional: $399.95 + tax ($437+ in WA state) at the MS store. Easy decision!

- Rita

Last edited:
I have always been one to have the CD in hand when I pay for software. But when it came time to upgrade my Office 365 programs, I went with subscription.
I resisted the subscription for Office. Last purchase of Office was the student version in 2013 - with CD. Word, Excel, power point, etc all work just fine. (Son is running this.) I don't know what features they could add to make me upgrade. IIRC the price was under $100 for the student version. You can get a 1 key version of home and student office for $116 on amazon right now. My version is 2011... so I clearly don't feel the need to update if it still works. More and more I'm using google docs - which has the advantage of being free. Sheets = excel, docs = word, slides = power point. There is not that much difference between them so there was very little learning curve. And "free" is my favorite price.

MS comes out with major revisions every 3 years (when does Quicken do that?) Current subscription for Office 365 Personal is $100/year plus sales tax, and it includes everything they make. So for three years, this amounts to $230 (with 9.5% WA State sales tax).

The equivalent software package containing all the same software in non-subscription version is Office 365 Professional: $399.95 + tax ($437+ in WA state) at the MS store. Easy decision!

- Rita
I'm confused by the math... how does 3 years times $100 equal $230?

I'm confused by the math... how does 3 years times $100 equal $230?
$100 for access to 5 PCs, $70 for access to one PC at the MS Store. In either case, if you need the latest for some reason, still cheaper to get the subscription rather than buying the software. Using Amazon ($69.99 for Office Personal subscription model - for one PC, or $70 for 5 PCs (marked down from $99.99), v. Office Professional $359.99 + tax

- Rita

Ok, now it makes sense.

I'm still resistant to subscription... but the math makes more sense now. And I can't imagine what they could add to the office line of products that would make me feel the need to upgrade. I tend to change out when I upgrade my computer.

Back
Top Bottom