Join Early Retirement Today

Random act of kindness ...
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any stories you want to share on random act of kindness?

( Me? Not much. At least, not much randomness to them ... I will make coffee at office although I may not drink it. I pick up others' trash. I rake golf practice bunker for others to use. I put coins in another parking meter as it was about to expire. I can think of other minor things I did but I am sure others have better stories to tell. )
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

One fun experience I had recently was when I came to the end of a cashier line at a local drugstore and a nice elderly lady with a full cart offered me to go ahead of her. I took her up on it and moved along to quickly pay for the few items in my hand. I happen to over hear her mention to others about enjoying eating moon pies throughout her life as slipped a couple in her cart. When I finished paying I slapped a $5 bill on the counter and told her the moon pies are on me in turn for her kindness. She and the cashier were blown away.

Of course it made me feel good, and it wasn't a big deal. But I hope it provided her a happy story to share.
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

DS drove home alone from out of state college his junior year with 75 cents in his pocket and a credit card several years ago. He didn't realize he was merging onto a toll interstate and the toll booth operator told him to pull over to the office when the toll was more than his 75 cents. DS said no sooner had he pulled over than another guy pulled over too, handed him 20 bucks, and drove off.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

A very inspiring website on this subject is ilikegiving.org. Several videos and stories.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

Back in the days when we were required to use real money on the tollway and the booths had attendants I would sometimes pay for me and the next car in line just to see the driver's reaction.

Edit to add: Hope I brightened somebody's day.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

We had a lady who had to retire on disability here and it was a couple of years before she could get her SS disability started. She received a smaller disability payment from our company, but I knew she had a hard time paying her bills. For those couple of years, I sent her my holiday bonus anonymously in the mail. I didn't need it nearly as much as she did.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
We had a lady who had to retire on disability here and it was a couple of years before she could get her SS disability started. She received a smaller disability payment from our company, but I knew she had a hard time paying her bills. For those couple of years, I sent her my holiday bonus anonymously in the mail. I didn't need it nearly as much as she did.

That's awesome!

One of my previous work places, someone bought pizza for my group (delivery person wasn't saying who paid for it) once every so often. It was a big mystery among us who the person was. There were many speculations. Eventually, we found out who it was. The person probably did have some fun watching us enjoy free pizza, and speculating who the benefactor was.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I find myself doing a lot more of the "little things" for people now that I am ER. (Recently had my one year anniversary). I know it isn't true for everyone on this board, but for me the pace of life slowed up immediately and significantly. I smile at the lady at the DMV and get better service. I let a senior or a harried mom go ahead of me in line and I get a friendly chat while we wait. And I am WAY more patient with waiters and waitresses.

I haven't been able to extend the courtesy to telemarketers yet, but who knows!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DS drove home alone from out of state college his junior year with 75 cents in his pocket and a credit card several years ago. He didn't realize he was merging onto a toll interstate and the toll booth operator told him to pull over to the office when the toll was more than his 75 cents. DS said no sooner had he pulled over than another guy pulled over too, handed him 20 bucks, and drove off.
Back in 1982, when the toll was $0.35 on the Garden State Parkway in NJ, my friend Tommy and I drove most of the Parkway, headed up to NY state. At each toll booth, we would pay for ourselves and the car behind us. It was interesting to see the reactions of the people behind us. Some of them sped up to catch us and see who had paid their toll. We had a lot of fun that day.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
That's a great idea, one that I have contemplated before. But how do you manage to stay anonymous? Do you send cash?
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When in college, going roller skating (my first and only time). I would have had a mean fall going backwards when this woman (much better skater than me) caught me and prevented me from landing on my keister or worse.

Another time while walking home from w*rk all bundled up, this guy darts in front of me then disappears in this office building. About 5 seconds later these two cops come to me and ask..."Did you see this guy running?" I said, "Yeah..and told them where the guy went" The cops when "Thanks" then darted inside. Well, not really kindness I guess, but who knows, maybe I was a hero
Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #12

For several years I gave my secretary a Christmas card with a $100 in it anonymously. She had a multitude of financial and other issues in her life. I was able to continue this for a couple years after retirement through a co-worker sworn to secrecy. She never knew where it came from.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #13

It feels awkward to talk about one's random acts of kindness. I guess my answer is every patient I see in the free clinics, every child I give free milk and vitamins to in developing countries, and every vacation time I spend abroad helping the under-served. If there is a god, that was its only plan for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Any stories you want to share on random act of kindness?

( Me? Not much. At least, not much randomness to them ... I will make coffee at office although I may not drink it. I pick up others' trash. I rake golf practice bunker for others to use. I put coins in another parking meter as it was about to expire. I can think of other minor things I did but I am sure others have better stories to tell. )
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
It feels awkward to talk about one's random acts of kindness.
Yes, it does, I agree. Different families and cultures treat such topics in different ways - - some of us just feel very reluctant to trumpet our own charitable acts and seek public approval for them, because of our upbringing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have paid for car repairs and dental work and miscellaneous emergencies for various people; I send large boxes of high quality chocolates to a few.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, it does, I agree. Different families and cultures treat such topics in different ways - - some of us just feel very reluctant to trumpet our own charitable acts and seek public approval for them, because of our upbringing.
How about sharing what you have seen or heard? It's good to hear about these things (or learn to do similar). I started the thread after couple of incidents at work that caused me to lose a bit of faith in humanity.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
How about sharing what you have seen or heard? It's good to hear about these things (or learn to do similar). I started the thread after couple of incidents at work that caused me to lose a bit of faith in humanity.
OK! I have an idea. I'll bet the random acts of kindness described in this Huffington Post article will lift your spirits.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I send large boxes of high quality chocolates to a few.
Be careful; your PM mailbox is about to be flooded with the postal addresses of most of us here!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
That's a great idea, one that I have contemplated before. But how do you manage to stay anonymous? Do you send cash?
I sent her a Visa Gift card. Keep in mind I work in a nonprofit, so the bonuses were on the$400-500 range, not thousands.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this considered a random act of kindness? I gave a good running car to a friend who's car got totaled. He had a young family and couldn't afford a replacement. Selling cars is a hassle, so he did me a favor taking the car. He was floored that anybody would give a car away.

He passed the good act forward by giving that car to somebody else in same situation 4 years later when he was able to save enough for a newer car.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote