Random acts of kindness

Philliefan33

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The thread about found money got me thinking...have you ever been the beneficiary of a random act of kindness? Do you like to perform random acts of kindness?

I don't recall being the beneficiary, but my DD was a few years ago. Returning to PHL after spring break, she landed in a snowstorm. It was late and few cabs were running in the storm. Finally she secured a spot in a shared van heading into the city. When the driver announced "it will be $20 each, cash only" she made a move to get out-- she had no cash, had planned to put the cab ride on her credit card. The man next to her told her to stay put, he would pay her fare. That kind gesture probably saved DD from waiting another hour for a cab.

I was so moved by that stranger's kindness that the next day at w*rk, I paid for the lunch of the person behind me at the cafeteria. It was a cow*rker that I had never met. We had a little conversation regarding why I did what I did and we both came away feeling happy.

I've done other random things and it always makes me feel good. A friend of mine, every year on her birthday, requests that in lieu of gifts we all commit a random act of kindness and report it to her on Facebook.

We belong to a virtual community that hosts touring bicyclists in their homes. We have been hosted and have hosted. The agreement is hosts need to simply offer a place to sleep which could be a backyard tent area. But virtually all hosts have provided a bed, dinner and breakfast in their home. We always offer abed and meals when we host.

I have bought drinks for strangers in bars and on many occasions have received "random acts of kindness" in return!

I have bought drinks for strangers in bars and on many occasions have received "random acts of kindness" in return!
I think that is called a pickup. :LOL:

Last edited:
Not a big deal, but pulling up to the store, I saw a couple guys trying to load something in their car that was never going to fit. I asked and they accepted a ride in my pick up. Of course, they had to lift it, I'm not that random. :)

I was once standing in line at the grocery store checkout when someone ran into the store, yelling "Call 911! Someone collapsed in the parking lot and needs help!" The woman whose groceries were being checked at the cashier said, "I'm a nurse, I'm going to go check!" and she ran out the store. The cashier finished checking in her groceries, then paused uncomfortably since the patron had not yet returned from her good samaritan deed to pay the tab. The next customer in line said, "Put her groceries on my tab, I'll pay for her."

There were about 4 bags of groceries, not a trivial few items. I thought what a nice thing for him to do.

I was driving home in a poorer rural county outside KC. I should also say this was after a recent life event where we recently realized we were FI.

Stopped in a small county grocery store. I was picking up a can of tomato soup for a recipe DW was making for dinner. The lady in front of me with her two younger daughters saw me and bought the can of soup(they thought it was all we had for dinner), actually they laid down $5.00 and left. I tried for a minute to return the change and realized the lady was teaching a lesson and thanked them. :)

Thanks for reminding me. It feels good to give an unexpected gift. It's nice to make others smile.

My job and consequently all the money I have saved for retirement (the last 23 years actually) are because of one random act of kindness.

UPS only paid slightly more than minimum wage to start and full wage at the end of a two year progression. Taking the job meant taking a cut in pay and finding full-time daycare. I applied for 50% reduced daycare thru a county program and was just a few hundred dollars over the income limit. After talking to the director of the daycare she took my pay stub, made a new copy, smeared it when it came out of the copier and wrote down a different amount so I would qualify. That one act of kindness and faith in me completely changed my life.

I really like this idea:

Then there is Salem Oregon's Benny:

A man has hidden $50,000 worth of $100 bills around Salem | OregonLive.com

Several times up around the Salem area I've been caught up in a pay it backward coffee line at a drive up coffee joint - make your order, when you get the order find the person in front of you paid for your order, so you pay for the person behind you in line. I'm told the chain often lasts for hours.

I've done random small acts of kindness for strangers, but it's been too long. Thanks for the reminder, it's always enjoyable, especially if I know but the recipient doesn't.

It's been a while since I've received an act of kindness. But about a month ago in line for lunch at McDonalds, after she ordered a 20-something girl turned and told me to order my lunch, her treat. No reason I know of, and I'm old enough to be her grandfather? I declined, but thanked her for the kind gesture. It was pleasant. [Yes, I can think of sinister reasons she might have done it, but I was there and it wasn't like that].

I ran out of gas twice separated by years and each time was picked up by a lovely person, who saved me a long walk to a gas station.

Once when driving on a highway I saw a mother and child walking along the road, these situations take a few moments to think about and realize what is going on. I did a U turn and went back, and drove up asking if they needed anything.
I drove them about 15 miles to the next town and gave them some snacks I had in the car. It felt good to pay back the Karma.

Nice thoughts.

It is easy to become skeptical when you see a "single Mom needs food for kids" sign in the hands of panhandlers on each Interstate ramp, and dozens of "homeless" rattling cups of change as you pass on the sidewalks of large cities.

While a part time college student, I used to shovel the drive of my elderly neighbor. She would always bring me a plate of choc. chip cookies afterwards. Guess that was more of a trade....but she never complained about getting the worst of the deal! Haha!

I took a slip walking over a big rock in Norway and cut the back of my head. I was not really too badly hurt but it bled like crazy and I looked like a war casualty. DW was there but we were short on useful materials. A stranger from Poland was nearby and came over with water, paper towels, and a bandage so I could get sorted out and then go find a doctor. I was quite grateful.

........... The lady in front of me with her two younger daughters saw me and bought the can of soup(they thought it was all we had for dinner), actually they laid down $5.00 and left. ...........
I think this is one reason my DW is always after me to dress up a little before I go out of the house. :D

I think this is one reason my DW is always after me to dress up a little before I go out of the house. :D

Years ago, in Penticton, B.C., my late wife had gone into a WalMart, or somesuch, and I waited outside with our Border Collie.

After a while I leaned up against a wall, with the dog at my feet, and was in this position when a woman with a cart, accompanied by two young girls, came out of the store.

The eldest girl looked over at me and whispered something to her mother, who replied to the effect that "He's probably hoping that people will give him money". :LOL:

DD was in a car accident in high school (not badly hurt)--driver lost control speeding on the Interstate and hit the median head on--and a nurse ran across the three lanes of traffic to stay with the kids til the ambulance came. DD still remembers her calming words in a frightening situation. I try to pay that random act back in little ways whenever I can but can't come close. For myself, receiving the unexpected kind word or gesture has meant a lot in little situations. I can't think of a monetary random act, though.

We belong to a virtual community that hosts touring bicyclists in their homes. We have been hosted and have hosted. The agreement is hosts need to simply offer a place to sleep which could be a backyard tent area. But virtually all hosts have provided a bed, dinner and breakfast in their home. We always offer abed and meals when we host.

+1 We have hosted and I have used it on my travels. Might again this summer if I finally get around to doing the GAP/C&O trails.

I also still believe in day to day chivalry. I hold doors open for ladies, help old people lift heavy items in the store, get things down for people who can't reach them, etc... I've also changed a few flat tires in my time for people who haven't a clue how to do it (which is epidemic it seems).

I also still believe in day to day chivalry. I hold doors open for ladies, help old people lift heavy items in the store, get things down for people who can't reach them, etc...

I find that basic acts of courtesy go a long way, and am very pleased that many people, (more than we are perhaps led to believe), engage in them......it's something that's certainly not restricted to any particular 'social class'.

After reading, a few other stories came to mind.

In Iceland, our rental car got stuck in the mud. Without a word, a driver got out of his truck. Gave a little wave. Hooked up a tow line. Pulled us out. And waved goodbye.

On a bike trip, I bent my wheel. While sitting on a sidewalk bench, couple passed by and asked how the trip was going. We told them about our problem. He said he was tired of shopping, happen to be a tourist town, and he drove me 20 miles each way to the bike store. The bike store owner also surprised me with a used inexpensive wheel that he took the time to find. He did not need to do that for this desperate traveler.

On another bike trip, we stopped at a convenience store for food. Coincidentally, there was a man there a few years older then us who told use about how he also loved to bike tour but was no longer able. We chatted for a few minutes and continued our bike trip. A few miles down the road, he catches up to us in his car and ask we pull over. He tells us he wants us to have a great time and insists we take the $20 he offered us. There was no turning it down.

Last edited:
This is a "secret pleasure" of mine. My parents would always talk about the kind things strangers did for them when they were young and struggling with raising 7 kids - particularly as minority immigrants - and that made an impression on me. I always hoped I could reach a point financially where I could do this occasionally, and feel fortunate to be able to do so.

I prefer to do them anonymously, usually for things I observe or hear about. I do get a thrill of seeing someone surprised in that way, and them not knowing who did it. For example, over the years I have bought meals in restaurant for folks by telling the server to bring me their bill but do not let them know who did it. I have stuck gift cards in mailboxes, under doors, or in envelopes on windshields.

The times when I have done in directly to folks I have gotten great reactions, some of which I thought were over the top ("do you have a girlfriend/are you married? If not I've love to hang out with you! :blush: "). Once nice time was buying several kids in goth attire meals at a food court, and after getting my meal and sitting down they came over and wanted to sit and talk with me. It became a great "there are certainly things we disagree on, but we do care about each other" conversations.

I have also received them, which frankly is harder for me... I can't help thinking at times "these folks likely have a lot less than me yet they still want to do something for a stranger".

I don't think it was mentioned, but this entire forum is pretty much a 'random act of kindness'. Look at all the people who help out complete strangers (at least strangers in 'real life') with detailed advice and information and experience.

Of course, some of that 'advice' leads to moderator involvement, but it's mostly good! :LOL:

But, yes, in real life it's nice to take a moment to help someone out. I'll stop and get out of my car at a light to point out a near-flat tire to someone (who seems to not realize it), or help someone in a parking lot load some heavy stuff in their car. I've helped with some roadside repairs so someone could get to their destination (overheated car - loose radiator hose, or jump start a car). Feels good, and in some vague, indirect way, you figure the more you try to encourage this behavior, the more likely you or a relative/friend are to get assistance when they are in need. Yes, no direct cause-effect line, but like so many things in life, you do what you can.

-ERD50

I was making a minor purchase with a credit card and the credit card failed! Always an embarrassing situation--it has some kind of "freeze" on it. The young man behind me in line instantly whipped out his money and said "I'll pay for it!," with such kindness and eagerness in his voice. I was truly touched--there wasn't one second of hesitation in him. Anyway, I found cash in my wallet to pay for the purchase and I thanked him sincerely. I still think of that situation and hope I am as eager to help someone in the same situation as he was for me.

I am an old woman who was driving a truck when the tire exploded. My spare is under the truck. So I got out the jack and all the package of tire changing stuff and was reading the instructions next to the freeway. I could have done it but a nice man stopped and told me not to use that kind of jack, he had a good jack in his trunk. He changed my tire then followed me to the gas station and put extra air in my spare. He was retired and said his hobby was helping elderly neighbors. I did give him some money but he didn't ask.

When we lived near D.C. after a snowfall I had shoveled out about half the driveway and decided to take a break and fell asleep on the living room couch, visible from the street. A 19 or 20 year old guy up the street finished shoveling out the driveway. It was springtime before one of the other neighbors told me who did it.

Not so much random, but after I bought a snow thrower I'd routinely clear the driveways of several neighbors, especially for an elderly lady several houses away. Within a week she'd bring a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies; others often left a bottle of wine or something similar on the porch.

Back
Top Bottom