Rant: Microsoft Word mailing labels

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's time to once again try to print mailing labels for Christmas cards (I know, sounds impersonal but, hey, better than no cards). For those of you who have valiantly tried to use Microsoft Word's Mail Merge for this task, 'nough said... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, but darned near. Every time I've used it it's a pain the royal to figure it out, then the next time I have to use it, it's back to square one.

I save trees and send eCards. For those few people I want to send cards to who are Internet neanderthals, I write their addresses with (horror) a pen. I haven't bought Christmas cards for at least 5 years.

I save trees and send eCards. For those few people I want to send cards to who are Internet neanderthals, I write their addresses with (horror) a pen. I haven't bought Christmas cards for at least 5 years.

Well, I give up. After wasting another three hours on Mr. Gates and [-]nearly [/-]becoming a blathering idiot, I will take up a (horror) pen and write out the addresses by hand.

Oh, about ecards, most of my friends are internet neanderthals, and I am seriously considering joining them.

It's time to once again try to print mailing labels for Christmas cards (I know, sounds impersonal but, hey, better than no cards). For those of you who have valiantly tried to use Microsoft Word's Mail Merge for this task, 'nough said... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, but darned near. Every time I've used it it's a pain the royal to figure it out, then the next time I have to use it, it's back to square one.
Ha - that one resonated. My fifteen year older brother is still working (he is one of those guys who loves his work). At any rate, every Christmas he and my sister-in-law send out a big batch of business and personal Christmas cards from the office using mailing labels. And almost without fail SIL has to call me to come over and figure it out. And every time I go over it is back to square one. You would think I would write down instructions - maybe next year.

Last edited:
I've never played with mail merge much - I suspect I would be frustrated and confused also.

This year, we got the clear mailing labels - much nicer looking than the white 'industrial' looking ones, IMO. I copied our address list into Excel. With the column and row sizing, I was able to get everything lined up to print on the labels very well.

I'm not saying it was easy - it took some time and trial and error for the first time (but I used 'preview' and sized it to real life size and held the label stock up to the monitor - no waste). But, once done, I'm sure I won't have any problems next year, because it's obvious what is what (he says confidently). Just entries in cells.

-ERD50

IIRC some label makers offer word macros or little applications on their web sites that would read a word file of addresses and perfectly print to their brand of labels. I have to admit its been years since I did any of that, so perhaps they no longer offer it...

There is also this...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011269731033.aspx

Yes, avery does (I see your post now).

Personally, I avoid stuff like that - you never know - when you upgrade your OS, or they upgrade the SW, will it work the same? It may be very good, but I like to stay as 'generic' as I can. Seems to avoid headaches, in general. Excel is proprietary of course, but the basic row/column thing hasn't changed in decades.

-ERD50

STR, what are you merging? why the trouble?

Are you using standard label (like avery) and have the addresses in excel?

perhaps i can help - used to merge for a living...the newer word I must say is a pain in the patooty because it tries to help too much by filling stuff in for you and does some weird stuff to zip codes.

..the newer word I must say is a pain in the patooty because it tries to help too much by filling stuff in for you and does some weird stuff to zip codes.

Ahh yes - 'autofill'! One reason I avoid Word - I have to find and turn all that stuff off.

My wife copy/pasted a note onto some invitations in Word. Good thing I proofread it. The copy/paste operation took our phone number from:

XXX-YYY-9998 to
XXX-YYY-9999!

No alert, nothing - it just decided that that is what was best.

We received an invitation, and some people got the time in one hour increments from the others - turned out to be the same thing. Copy/paste and increment. Handy when you want it - crazy if you don't expect it.

Argggg.

-ERD50

I never open eCards. There have been lots of warnings about them bearing viruses and spyware. Just the other day my DS asked if my DW had sent her an eCard...and she hadn't...told her to just delete it.

Are Ecards Safe?

Back
Top Bottom