Rant thread

We had a small family gathering at my home here in Texas tonight. Ladies wanted pizza brought in so we men said "go for it"! Their (ladies) consensus was Domino's with thin crust. Men reluctantly agreed with the stipulation that one pizza (if you call thin crust a pizza :mad:) have anchovies on it. Ladies agreed.

Ladies placed the order then told us guys that Domino's doesn't have anchovies available as a topping.:eek:

WTF?? What the h**L kind of a pizza place doesn't have anchovies...especially in Texas! :mad::mad:

When the pizza's came, we men were surprised how thin the crust was. The cardboard box bottoms were thicker. We are not sure who to be peeved at..!:confused:
You should have called me and Mr B.

I'm a native Noo Yawker, as in raised 35 miles from Noo Yawk City.
He's from Baaah-ston. Both are the undisputed pizza capitals of the domestic United States.

We make killer thin crust pizza (pizzer for the Boston crowd). His is made one way (Bostonian), mine the other (NYC style). We take turns and love both methods.

Feel free to bribe me for the sauce recipes and prep. ;)

PS No anchovies until after it's cooked.

I'm a native Noo Yawker, as in raised 35 miles from Noo Yawk City.
He's from Baaah-ston. Both are the undisputed pizza capitals of the domestic United States.

Sorry. It's New Haven, CT.

I'm also irked about typical chicken feed (or any animal feed!) seems anything with corn or soy is GMO, and I just don't trust that stuff-my diet has become rather hippy dippy...(however we'll still dine out with friends and not get weird about it) Local organic chicken/eggs, grass fed red meats and wild caught fish here...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Cell phones, smart phones, wrist phones, iphones, phones, phones, phones, ...

I am waiting at a shuttle stop and this perfectly normal looking person is walking toward me, talking loud, laughing, swearing ... Her phone and earphone were hidden so well that at first, I thought she was ranting and raving like a lunatic. I was giving her a wide berth to pass by me and then realize she's just on the phone.

I forget which disaster it was - a ship sinking, a plane crash landed, .... While everyone is scrambling to get away (some have actually perished), an idiot is filming the event with his/her smart phone. What's wrong with his survival instinct? If he is that dumb, he deserves to perish instead of those who died on that crash while trying to save their lives.

I invite my grown nephew to a dinner and he is constantly checking his smart phone while he is eating with us. See that in restaurants all too often - in what seems to be a gathering among friends and/or families, someone or two is carrying on a text conversation with their phones.

Saw in a golf course yesterday. A guy in front group is talking on a phone for two holes and even comes back to my tee box to hit after missing out on his turn and his group has already moved on without him. It must been a life or death phone call .... yeah, right.

I ride company shuttle to work and can see other drivers from the shuttle window. Drivers are checking their smartphone, a few are even texting. Every time I notice a rear ending traffic accidents, I bet the driver behind was fiddling with his/her smart phone. Is it just my imagination or there seem to be more bumper to bumper accidents these days?

What would be like if a huge sun flair knocks off all the cell towers for 36 hours? Hmm. Nice.

Taxes Rant

Had to delay completion of in-law taxes.

Waited until 27 Mar for a K-1. Had no impact on bottom line when entered.

Went to efile and can't, as there are two 1099-LTC forms.

What a sad tax system exists in this country...

This week's rant is our Verizon landline. The service on it has been really poor. I called a month or so ago for repair, and they could not hear me! So I called on my cell and they said it would be tested and fixed. Never heard back, and I dropped the ball on followup.

Yesterday I noticed the phone on my desk was blinking "in use". I picked it up, and all noise. Went to the interface device in garage and plugged in a wired telephone. Nothing at all could be heard.

Called service and after 10 minutes they scheduled a call for 48 hours later. I mentioned this was a long wait, and was given to a supervisor. I spoke with the supervisor and was cut to another supervisor mid-sentence. The 2nd one kept saying hello, is anyone there, and so on. They said they could not hear me. Sounds like a conspiracy between wireless and landline to me.
:D

After about an hour I got a text telling me that the line was fine, and it was my phone or wiring. I tried the interface device again with a different phone. Still nothing.

We discussed this last night, and decided to just cut off the landline. Forget it, say goodbye, sayonara.

As I was logging into a few accounts to find our contact info, I got a text message from Verizon saying the tech would be here shortly.

Can't wait to see what he says. I know the problem is caused by 50 year old copper somewhere in this development. We've lost phone every few years, repair guy comes, etc.

I finished my tax return last night. As I am living mostly off after-tax savings, I am paying very little tax.

My return is a lot simpler now that I am retired, but still, each year at tax time, I swear and curse at our tax codes. If I have to do it without a tax program, I might just burst a vein with anger.

We discussed this last night, and decided to just cut off the landline. Forget it, say goodbye, sayonara.

we dropped the landline about 18 months ago, primarily because of the robocalls and the political calls.... haven't missed it for a second.. cell phone's bluetooth connects to our old handset phones and works throughout the house as if we still have the landline

cheers

Rant on rental car fees...just returned from a wonderful visit with friends in Florida.. Enterprise bill was loaded with fees. I caved in on the insurance even though my insurance would cover an accident..weak moment.

All in all, fees, insurance and taxes amounted to 40% of the total expense.

Concession Recovery Fee, Rental Car Facility Fee, SC Rec fee??

I finished my tax return last night. As I am living mostly off after-tax savings, I am paying very little tax.

My return is a lot simpler now that I am retired, but still, each year at tax time, I swear and curse at our tax codes. If I have to do it without a tax program, I might just burst a vein with anger.

We must have been separated at birth. :LOL:

?..

We cut the landline last year but easily ported the number (which we have had since 1978) to a new cell phone (dropping my old cell and its number, as few people ever used it anyway). You might want to do that. Several times since then I've noticed we needed to provide the old landline number to verify an account, and there are relatives and old friends who know only that number and not my old cell number.

We cut the landline last year but easily ported the number (which we have had since 1978) to a new cell phone (dropping my old cell and its number, as few people ever used it anyway). You might want to do that. Several times since then I've noticed we needed to provide the old landline number to verify an account, and there are relatives and old friends who know only that number and not my old cell number.
The good news is that landline is working now. The bad news is that landline is working now.
:facepalm:

We are continuing with our mobile numbers as is, for now. To port our landline number I think our options are very limited, since we don't need or want another mobile phone. But facts change, so something cheap may be available now.

At this time I think the only way to port the landline for a reasonable dollar amount would be to get a tracfone. That would be somewhere around $100 for a phone and some minutes. Last time we looked the landline was portable to tracfone.

I think other options would require a monthly fee that was similar or more than what we pay Verizon for--about $25/month.

Of course if anyone has other options, please let me know.

Percentage/ratio of ER folks ranting < Percentage/ratio of working folks ranting

Back
Top Bottom