Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$80 PJ's? Nope.

But I can get sideways with myself at Bass Pro Shops.

I also learned that I have no business whatsoever going into Harbor Freight Tools unless I have a specific purchase to make. Even then, DW puts the horse blinders on me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
shotgun and ammo belt

now maybe if pajamas came in Kevlar ( and chain mesh ) , it isn't Chicago , but Sin City is just down road , plenty of big spending criminals about
Another with a thing about sleeping with guns. Kinda sad.
Oh well - to each their own I guess.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No PJ. Always sleep in the same shorts that I wear during the day, but quite often bare chested without the T-shirt.

About the OP, a drawback with a financial blog is that one has to justify any purchase with his readers. Of course he does not have to tell every detail of his life, but has to tell enough to connect with his readers. Then, he subjects himself to being judged.

I don't know about this guy, and do not care if he spends that much for his PJ.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
But I can get sideways with myself at Bass Pro Shops.

I also learned that I have no business whatsoever going into Harbor Freight Tools unless I have a specific purchase to make. Even then, DW puts the horse blinders on me.
I can relate. My weakness is hobby shops. I walked into this one (then near FIL's place) and said out loud "Uh, oh, I could get into trouble in here". An employee looked a me, laughed, and said "We love it when someone says that".
Old 10-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Just boxers. I know TMI.....
Commando is the only way to go.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
People wear pajamas?
My pajamas are a $10 pair of sweatpants and whatever t-shirt i'm wearing. Maybe a hoodie over the t-shirt in winter. I couldn't imagine spending $80 on pajamas if I was still in the accumulation phase. If I was FIRED and it was easily within budget then that's fine.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Another with a thing about sleeping with guns. Kinda sad.
Oh well - to each their own I guess.
plenty of creepy critters around my home , to the extent i tolerate the venomous reptiles , as a less hostile threat ( they don't attack me as a first option and don't steal much )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

true it isn't paradise but i own it outright .

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I’m wearing Eddie Bauer pajama bottoms now. Wear them almost every night with a T-shirt or sweatshirt. I can rationalize $80 pajama bottoms - especially if they last a lot longer than the cheapo pajama bottoms.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
plenty of creepy critters around my home , to the extent i tolerate the venomous reptiles , as a less hostile threat ( they don't attack me as a first option and don't steal much )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

true it isn't paradise but i own it outright .
That's one nasty snake.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My wife bought me PJ pants, and I have also tried sweat pants. They didn't work for me, and in fact drove me nuts when the pants rolled up to my calves when I toss and turn.

And don't suggest thermal pants with cuffs around the ankles. Tight clothes like that would drive me insane. Might as well wear a straight jacket.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

@ 75 I still go commando, although the lights are always out in the bedroom.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #32

Never spent a dime on pajamas. I wear sweats (gifts from so long ago I don't recall the giver)in the winter and undies in the summer.

Roth made boatloads of cash from selling his blog years ago. Probably doesn't know what to do with all the money.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
@ 75 I still go commando, although the lights are always out in the bedroom.
Nope. Can't do that. Imagine hearing a noise at night, and fumbling around looking for your clothes before going out to check.

Never want myself vulnerable like that. I always have clothes on to allow me to grab my 357 and be on my feet, or run out of the house if necessary.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I buy my pjs at Costco. So far they have not worn out despite years of use. Maybe he needs these pjs to look as good as most of us do in cheap ones??

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

World's most comfortable pajamas !https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

JD and I went camping in the woods in Virginia earlier in the year for 3 nights. We are polar opposites. I had most of my gear stuffed into a free reusable Lidl grocery bag while he had a fancy pack. I had an old green army surplus bedsheet that I've had since I was 10 or so while he had a nice fancy sleeping bag. The total cost of my gear was roughly $0 (if you didn't include the $10 for the 2 bottles of champagne I brought).

As far as I can tell it comes down to personal preference. My gear worked just fine for me, and his gear seemed to work just fine for him.

In chatting with JD, the subject of attitudes toward spending money came up. He's getting older and wants to enjoy his money, so he dropped five figures on a deck with a hot tub. He apparently uses it for hours each day. I'd never drop that much $$ on a hot tub because I know I'd rarely use it and it would be more of a hassle to maintain than the value I'd get out of it. From his POV, the hot tub is a great purchase. From mine, it would be a horrible waste of money. But I see his POV for him.

I wouldn't get any value out of $80 pajamas but if that's what makes you happy and you can afford it, why not?

I get a good bit of value out of spending $1500 to go on a couple's vacation to Mexico for a week or two just to eat street tacos, bum around, and enjoy some different scenery but I'm sure that seems like a waste of money to some folks. Maybe others would be happier spending the $1500 on 18.75 pairs of fancy pants pajamas or 3-4 fancy pieces of leather luggage. I'll stick with my free after rebate bookbag and spend the $$ on tacos and tequila instead.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #37

I don’t know what they cost as it was a gift, but a friend gave me a pair of Soma pajamas. VERY comfortable!

However most nights I end up lounging around in a tank top and shorts or sweats as I’m just not used to wearing PJ’s.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #38

a T-shirt is all it takes for me. If someone breaks in I am not going to take the time to get dressed either! Don't need PJ's to use my gun either if necessary.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So you wear a helmet to bed, and sleep with your rifle?

Hmm.
Many moons ago I did. Wore the same clothes every day too (so did everyone else).

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nope. Can't do that. Imagine hearing a noise at night, and fumbling around looking for your clothes before going out to check.

Never want myself vulnerable like that. I always have clothes on to allow me to grab my 357 and be on my feet, or run out of the house if necessary.
12 gauge shotgun is under my side of the bed and I can have my hand on it in two seconds. Dog is there too. An intruder would make a lot of noise getting to our bedroom and he would probably trip over the 2.5 foot high oxygen concentrator in the dark hallway too. The 120 db siren would have his attention while my dog would be tearing the flesh off his leg. I really don't need PJ's in that case.