Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I grow sweet corn and can easily eat 5 or 6 raw ears for supper.

Ambrosia and Incredible, those are the best varieties I have planted.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I'd still like to hear from anyone that has a corn/veggie steamer, If you like it how about letting us know the name of it, who makes it and/or where can I get one. Ours is going to get trashed one of these days because we've had it for over 12 years.
I just use a 6 or 8 quart stock pot. I put about 3/4" of water in it and a plain old vegetable steamer basket. I put in 4-6 ears depending upon their size. Bring the water to a boil and then steam it for 5-6 minutes covered of course.

I bought mine at Walmart for a few dollars but this is what they look like.

Trudeau Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer | Free Shipping

veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I just use a 6 or 8 quart stock pot. I put about 3/4" of water in it and a plain old vegetable steamer basket. I put in 4-6 ears depending upon their size. Bring the water to a boil and then steam it for 5-6 minutes covered of course.

I bought mine at Walmart for a few dollars but this is what they look like.

Trudeau Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer | Free Shipping

Thanks for the link... I bought the Trudeau steamer at the local resale shop fo $1... I didn't know what it was for, and was going to use it as a hanging planter.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have had one for years - the little handle shown in the photo is long gone. We use it for many veggies but rarely for corn. We just boil the corn is 3/4" of water in a large pot.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't understand boiling corn. You have to wait a long time for all that water to get to boiling then toss the nutrients away in the water. I always steam it (shucked of course) in a 6 or 8 qt pot using a plain old vegetable steamer. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just tradition I guess. That's the way I've always seen it done. It does seem like a waste to heat all that water for a few minutes of cooking. I'll try steaming sometime.

Roasting is good too, we do it once in a while.

-ERD50
OK, so I tried steaming the last two meals - back to boiling for us.

The first one came out good, but I actually had several inches of water, and we use the deep pasta-style basket in our 6 Qt pot. The corn was half-submerged, and I turned it every two minutes.

The second time, I kept the water just at the basket level for a true steaming, and I kept turning it, but I could see that it was darker colored on some sides than others. It just did not get cooked evenly. Wasn't bad, but I want it cooked the same all the way round.

But it still was a worthwhile experiment. Since we now only cook 2-3 ears at a time, it made us realize we only need enough water to cover the ears. Just out of habit, we had filled the pot pretty full. But the cobs pretty much lay flat in the bottom if that is all the water you use.

Similar to my experience microwaving corn - it works, sometimes perfectly, but too often it is uneven. No way for that to happen when submerged in 212F water!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a couple of those in the pot type steaming baskets we use for other veggies, but we either boil corn, or cook it in the nuker. When just cooking for the two of us, the nuker is faster and easier to control. You can leave the husk on or take it off. Just wrap the ear in plastic wrap and cook on high for 20 seconds. {I think} You don't end up with soggy corn like you can with boiling.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, so I tried steaming the last two meals - back to boiling for us.

The first one came out good, but I actually had several inches of water, and we use the deep pasta-style basket in our 6 Qt pot. The corn was half-submerged, and I turned it every two minutes. So you boiled it steaming is when the water is below the streamer basket. In a 4 or 6 qt pot I put 1" of water and 4-6 ears of corn into the basket. I start to time it when the water starts to boil for 6 minutes.

The second time, I kept the water just at the basket level for a true steaming, and I kept turning it unnecessary, but I could see that it was darker colored on some sides than others. It just did not get cooked evenly. Wasn't bad, but I want it cooked the same all the way round. It steams evenly with a lid on the pot. All parts of the ear are evenly cooked.

But it still was a worthwhile experiment. Since we now only cook 2-3 ears at a time, it made us realize we only need enough water to cover the ears. Just out of habit, we had filled the pot pretty full. But the cobs pretty much lay flat in the bottom if that is all the water you use.

Similar to my experience microwaving corn - it works, sometimes perfectly, but too often it is uneven. No way for that to happen when submerged in 212F water!

-ERD50
Comments above in red.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Comments above in red.
Makes it hard to re-quote, you lose the color and emoticons on copy/paste....

Quote:
So you boiled it steaming is when the water is below the streamer basket.
Yes, I inadvertently added more water than I needed - it was about 1/2 submerged, so pretty much boiled, not steamed. And my point was, this worked better for me than the later attempt at steaming, and I still used only a little water.

Quote:
In a 4 or 6 qt pot I put 1" of water and 4-6 ears of corn into the basket. I start to time it when the water starts to boil for 6 minutes.

So, you start w/cold water? So that 'warming up' time is added to the 6 minutes of steaming? I get concerned about over-cooking it, so I like to bring it up to temperature first, then time is cooking time.

Quote:
It steams evenly with a lid on the pot. All parts of the ear are evenly cooked.
Mine were not. What can I say? I kept the lid on except while checking/turning. And these were just two ears in the bottom of a deep pot, so even when I open the lid the ears are right above the rising steam. If that is going to be the difference between steaming and boiling, I'll stick with boiling. I check the corn as I go, I don't want it over or under-cooked. Not a problem when boiling.

I never use time alone as a measure, I'll start looking at 4 minutes, and start tasting if it looks like it's getting done, and it gives a bit to a fork. I find that 30 seconds one way or the other can make a difference, and not all corn cooks gets done at the same rate.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #49

Quote:
In a 4 or 6 qt pot I put 1" of water and 4-6 ears of corn into the basket. I start to time it when the water starts to boil for 6 minutes.

So, you start w/cold water? So that 'warming up' time is added to the 6 minutes of steaming? I get concerned about over-cooking it, so I like to bring it up to temperature first, then time is cooking time.
Yes tap water. When it starts to boil I set the timer. I never remove the lid once the timer is running. I can't imagine why you don't get the same results, I mean this is pretty straight forwards. I'd never boil corn when steaming it is so easy, faster and probably retains more nutrients. If I have more than 1 pot of corn to cook, say 12 ears, after the 1st batch is done I use tongs to remove the cooked ears then I add more tap water and the corn then bring it back to a boil and set the timer when it is boiling again with the lid on. In my experience doing this for many years it is fool proof.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Yes tap water. When it starts to boil I set the timer. I never remove the lid once the timer is running. I can't imagine why you don't get the same results, I mean this is pretty straight forwards. I'd never boil corn when steaming it is so easy, faster and probably retains more nutrients. If I have more than 1 pot of corn to cook, say 12 ears, after the 1st batch is done I use tongs to remove the cooked ears then I add more tap water and the corn then bring it back to a boil and set the timer when it is boiling again with the lid on. In my experience doing this for many years it is fool proof.
Thanks for the help in trying to identify the steamer we use. In fact, we used it today. I should have been more clear in that we use our steamer in the microwave so it cannot be made of or contain any metal. It's held up for over ten years so maybe it will continue for a few more.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Still the best cooking method...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote