Razor Blades

Here's the Frugal Dude Shaving Deal

This is the one I use.

I find that an electric razor irritated my skin and gave me little 'pimples'

I tried to use the fancier 3 and 4 and 5 blade manual razors but they weren't as comfortable to use - too big and bulky.

Luckily I can get by with shaving every 3 or so days due to my baby face and peach fuzz. ;)

I just reordered some Gillette sensor excel from Amazon and it was $20 for 10 replacements. :( Pricey

I am waiting for 'dollar shave club' to get some of the twin blades/handles in stock and I am going to give them a try. Anyone else use them?

Men's Razors, Buy Razor Blades Online | Dollar Shave Club

Dollar Shave club uses Korean made razors made by a company called both PACE and Dorco (the Korean name). You can buy virtually identical razors directly from the company much much leas expensively than from Dollar Shave Club. These razors are as good or better than anything Shick or Gillette make.

I bought their monthly bulk pack and have enough razors and blades to last around three years for around $25. But I do use a blade for around three weeks. Shipping is free from the website for orders over $25.

Check out their website:

Razors / Men - Dorco Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

September Frugal Dude Pack - Dorco USA - Dorco Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

I started out with a blade.... but went to electric after a few years... I do not like blades even though I get a closer shave...

As to Norelco being quiet, I have had one that was pretty noisy... it broke and I bought a Braun... worst decision as it was LOUD... I mean wake the neighbors loud.... and also did a crappy job of shaving....

Went back to Norelco and it was QUIET... so quiet I did not think it was doing much the first time and pressed to hard... got a bad shave rash on that one... that one broke about a year ago and bought a new one... it seemed to be made of cheap plastic, but so far so good... and I think it does a better shave (note: I did not buy that expensive one that looks like 3 shave heads by themselves)....

Last edited:
I use the Norelco three swivel head electric 90% of the time. Always used Gillette blades over the years while working. Safety razors and then disposables. I still keep the disposables around and use them when I need to keep feeling fresh for the evening. The electric doesn't do that great a job so if I shave in the morning, I feel like I need to shave again by 5PM if we are going out to dinner. So on those mornings I shave with a Gillette "Good News" disposable. Time to shave is about the same for electric and disposable but the electric is not as messy. I've used the electric for about three years and I'm thinking I need to replace the blades again. I've already replaced them once. I'll stick to the electric for everyday quick job as blade shaving generally leads to nicks that won't stop bleeding due to all the blood thinners I take.

By the way, I love the old commercials with the Gillette song and went to Google and pulled some old ones just for memories. I remember sitting by the radio in the 40's and early 50's and listening to the baseball games with my dad. I think Gillette sponsored everything from boxing to the ballgames. I really remember "Burger beer brings you baseball. Burger beer brings you Waite Hoyte and the Cincinnati Reds". Days gone by.

Last edited:
Just reporting in that I finally got the straight razor and this morning was my first shave with it. Only a few small nicks, and it feels good. I am hopeful that I will become more adept with practice.

Gumby,

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Please keep us posted. And let us know if the effort warranted yields a superior shave.

Would love to hear Mrs. Gumby's feedback, too.

omni

As a reult of this thread, I switched from my very expensive Gillette Fushion as I was really irritated by the astronomical prices for the blades even at Sam's Club, and started using the DORCO shaver (which has a nice heft to it) with the six blades plus trimmer. Cost alone would have made it great, but I have received a far superior shave each time. The trimmer is terrific around the nose and to square off sideburns. The trimmer is what attracted me to Fushion in the first place. I'm sold on DORCO 100%. Plus they are always running specials to save you even more. It works for me so I'd say give it a try.
Prof12

Found a Gillette Fusion Razor on clearance at Walmart yesterday... Razor, Blade, battery, Aerosol Gel, tube of thermal face scrub?, tube of intense cooling lotion?, and base for razor... all for $5.
Tried it this morning, and got the easiest, closest, best shave I've had in 60 years.
Very Impressed.

The Gillette Fusion can be had for free or little $ if you coupon and follow sales.

About a week ago I was walking around in Costco and noticed someone handing out sample bags full of stuff so I walked by and was offered the bag of samples. The bag contained a Gillette Fusion power razor along with some foil pack samples of shampoo and conditioner.

This morning I went to Rite Aid and bought 2 Gillette Fusion razors (each package contains 2 cartridges) and 2 packages of Gillette Sensor 3 disposable razors (4 razors per package). My out of pocket after 2 $10 and 1 $7.49 coupons was $6.37 which became $1.37 cash after using a RA UP reward for $5. I received $12 of RA UP rewards with this transaction which need to be spent by 1/6/13. I'm already looking at next weeks ad to see how best to spend the RA 'money'.

Just reporting in that I finally got the straight razor and this morning was my first shave with it. Only a few small nicks, and it feels good. I am hopeful that I will become more adept with practice.

You'll only get better with experience. It took me a dozen shaves to really get the feel for the razor. What size blade did you get, 5/8"?

You'll only get better with experience. It took me a dozen shaves to really get the feel for the razor. What size blade did you get, 5/8"?

Yes, Dovo 5/8. One difficulty this morning was figuring out the best way to hold the razor. I've got the right side down, but the left is difficult without switching hands, and my left hand is not as steady. I need to watch a few more videos.

My experiences with straight razors:

1. Many years ago I was walking with a group in downtown MyTown. A street person approached the group with a straight razor in his hand. He said he wanted to sell the straight razor for $5. I guess there is safety in numbers. I don't know how I would have reacted if I had been alone. As it turned out the guy was one brick short of a load and merely wanted to sell the straight razor for $5.

2. My long-time barber recently ER'd at age 87. He knew something about straight razors. In recent years he used an implement that looked like a straight razor, but actually held a disposable blade.

3. A while back I purchased two antique German straight razors on Ebay. So, If I ever want to shave with a straight razor, I'm all set. I already have a razor strop and a variety of whetstones that I use with my many knives. I have shaved with knives a few times.

4. Looking for a new barber, I went to a regular barber shop where there are no appointments. You take the next barber available. So, the next barber available was a girl who appeared to me to be about 15 years old. She didn't use a straight razor. She did everything with scissors and electric clippers, which was a new thing for me.

No straight razors for me. A long time ago, I used a shaving brush but that got tossed and the soap cup is on my dresser to hold the loose change I have before bed.

Not sure I'm brave enough to try using a straight razor on the $1,000,000 assets.

Amethyst

I have shaved every single day since I was 16 -- submarine duty, camping trips and mountain climbing included. I have been using the Gillette Mach 3 razor for many years now. I, too, get several months on a blade. I insert a new one when the pullling gets too strong. Maybe 4 blades is better, but I'll never know.

I would really like to be able to use a straight razor. I love it when the barber uses one to shave the back of my neck and trim my sideburns. However, I'm not sure how one would start.

I must not be doing something right as I use the same blades but only get 3-4 weeks use from each one. Any longer than that and I would be risking my good looks to scarring. Any tips on how you get such great life out of them?

What's a razor?

+1

Haven't bought a razor or blade in over 15 years.

Occasionally, someone will give me a new rechargeable trimmer for X-mas; not this X-mas, they tend to last for several years.

In an attempt at revolt, have pruchased a package of 20 disposable "Personna" twin bladers at Big Lots.... for $1.90. Aside from occasional nicks (cost of toilet paper blood clotters has to be added to cost)... they offer a pretty close shave.

I buy something similar to these. They do the job and I rarely get any nicks. I have used an electric razor but I can shave much faster with the disposable kind. Never felt like I got a close shave with an electric razor.

I must not be doing something right as I use the same blades but only get 3-4 weeks use from each one. Any longer than that and I would be risking my good looks to scarring. Any tips on how you get such great life out of them?

There are a number of things that help:

1) Shave when fresh out of the shower. Your beard will be softer and easier on the blade. Use a good shave gel.

2) Use few, long, slow strokes. The fewest necessary to do the job. Not only does it save the blade, you get less razor burn.

3) At the end of your shave, rinse the blade off in HOT water and shake it a little to get the water off. Lay it down, with the blade up, in a dry place.

Gumby,

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Please keep us posted. And let us know if the effort warranted yields a superior shave.

Would love to hear Mrs. Gumby's feedback, too.

omni

I have now put in one month of straight razor shaving. I have not cut myself in several weeks. I find that I have become fairly adept with both hands, although I'm still perfecting the technique around my chin and lips. My next goal is to be able to go a little faster. I enjoy shaving, but it's taking a lot of time.

As far as the quality of shave, I find the straight razor slightly better than a double pass with the Gillette Mach 3 (once with the grain, once against). It is, however, infinitely cooler.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist...if you say "rise up lights" It sounds like an Australian saying "razor blades"

I thought I would report again on my straight razor shaving progress. I have now shaved with a straight razor every day for 3 months. In just the past few weeks, I have perfected the "against the grain" stroke, and I feel that I am finally getting the "baby butt smooth" shave that was advertised. It has been quite some time since I nicked myself.

I recently purchased a yellow coticule stone from Belgium, as well as several vintage razors from ebay. I was pleased that I was able to hone all the old razors to satisfactory sharpness and I have now shaved with each of them, so I have a six-razor rotation going. I really enjoy the time I spend shaving every morning.

I would like to especially thank FIREd and omni550 for their support and encouragement.

I thought I would report again on my straight razor shaving progress. I have now shaved with a straight razor every day for 3 months. In just the past few weeks, I have perfected the "against the grain" stroke, and I feel that I am finally getting the "baby butt smooth" shave that was advertised. It has been quite some time since I nicked myself.

I recently purchased a yellow coticule stone from Belgium, as well as several vintage razors from ebay. I was pleased that I was able to hone all the old razors to satisfactory sharpness and I have now shaved with each of them, so I have a six-razor rotation going. I really enjoy the time I spend shaving every morning.

I would like to especially thank FIREd and omni550 for their support and encouragement.

I appreciate the update, Gumby! It sounds as though you are the master of the 'baby butt smooth' shave.

Any positive feedback from Mrs. Gumby?

omni

I appreciate the update, Gumby! It sounds as though you are the master of the 'baby butt smooth' shave.

Any positive feedback from Mrs. Gumby?

omni
She agrees that my face is smoother than ever, but she still thinks I'm crazy.

Back
Top Bottom