Re-lensing glasses

Costco charges $18 to use your old frames.

$18 for Costco to use old frames!
Did you have to make any special deal to get that price?

We're in the same boat as the OP and asked our optometrist how much they'd charge to put new lenses in the old Titanium frames (which they sold to us claiming that they would last forever) and they wanted about $800 to put new lenses in two pairs of glasses.

Smelled like robbery to us, so we called the local Costco in STL and the person on the phone told us they don't put new lenses in the customer's old frames at any price. Did we ask the wrong questions or something?

We'd really like to take advantage of the deal at cost of lenses plus an add'l fee of $18 (they did quote us a price on lenses and it seemed quite reasonable).

$18 for Costco to use old frames!
Did you have to make any special deal to get that price?

We're in the same boat as the OP and asked our optometrist how much they'd charge to put new lenses in the old Titanium frames (which they sold to us claiming that they would last forever) and they wanted about $800 to put new lenses in two pairs of glasses.

Smelled like robbery to us, so we called the local Costco in STL and the person on the phone told us they don't put new lenses in the customer's old frames at any price. Did we ask the wrong questions or something?

We'd really like to take advantage of the deal at cost of lenses plus an add'l fee of $18 (they did quote us a price on lenses and it seemed quite reasonable).

The Costco optometry depts. are franchises and yours may not do so. Mine does, however, the frames can't be too 'curved'. My sunglasses were and they wouldn't re-lens those but did my regular glasses. Their lab supposedly makes those rules. Cost about $70 IIRC. All my glasses are titanium and Costco's selection of titanium frames = about 2!

Our eye doc (I don't know if he is Optometrist or Ophthalmologist) ordered new lenses for me once for my existing glasses, so I didn't have to buy new frames.
No extra charge.
Of course these are the same frames he sold me a year earlier, so they were not "out of date".

Decent fellow I guess.

Wow, I'm glad I tripped across this thread (a bright spot in a night of insomnia!) :LOL:

My chi-chi eyeglass shop was doing the hard-sell on new frames. I reminded them that they sold me the German Freudenhaus titanium frames about ten years ago, and told me they would last forever. I disliked their quips that they were out of style; I love them. So I insisted on a scrip and now I can get the frames without the smart aleck salesperson. Yes! :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom