Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I generally ask for the senior discount at places that do/are likely to offer one. If they don't it's not a deal breaker. (I also take the veterans' discount at Lowe's/Home Depot but would still shop there if they didn't offer it).

My wife and I often ruminate that when we were much younger, raising kids and had much less income is when we preally needed the discounts. C'est la vie.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
It only takes like $200 a month to save over a million dollars if you start when you are 25 years old.
Could you explain that? Either you mean $2000 (no interest) or you're assuming about 9% return.

Also, based on an inflation rate of 2.50 % the value of $1 million is going to be reduced to $372,430 in 40 years.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Ya know, I realize a lot of senior discounts are marketing efforts to get folks with some extra money and free time into a business, sometimes at slow times of the day (e.g. movies). That's fine. I like to think that some are just marks of appreciation and respect, just like discounts for veterans, teachers, and public safety workers. Many seniors have been on PTAs, worked kids' soccer tournaments, and contributed to all kinds of activities, both financially and by participating, for a long time, and it's right to show them some appreciation.

OTOH, my $10 permanent National Parks Senior Pass was a serious reward!
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've been getting quotes on a new HVAC for my condo. I've asked each one to throw in my senior discount and all I get is a chuckle or strange look. One did offer a cash discount so I will count that.
A cash discount is far more beneficial to them than it is you.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
Ya know, I realize a lot of senior discounts are marketing efforts to get folks with some extra money and free time into a business, sometimes at slow times of the day (e.g. movies). That's fine. I like to think that some are just marks of appreciation and respect, just like discounts for veterans, teachers, and public safety workers. Many seniors have been on PTAs, worked kids' soccer tournaments, and contributed to all kinds of activities, both financially and by participating, for a long time, and it's right to show them some appreciation.

OTOH, my $10 permanent National Parks Senior Pass was a serious reward!
Discounts for public Safety workers - dont' they already get great pensions after 25 yrs and retire at 45 ? Oh, yeah now I see, they need the discount until they get to age 60 to qualify for the senior discount.

If you are a public safety worker age 60, can you stack the discounts and get double discount ?

Those gov't National Parks Senior Pass people are serious about qualifying, I was just a week short of the birthday, and they said I had to wait. They offered the nice suggestion of come back next week. They could see from my license I lived a few States away
Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

For a laugh, go into a store like Lululemon and ask for a senior discount. Not everyone wants our business .

There is a Lululemon military discount for active duty and reservists and their spouses, but not retired military. Pretty clear who they are marketing to!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

The only substantial seniors discount that we have ever enjoyed was on a cruise booked in Australia. RCI gave us an unexpected $300 seniors discount when we called down to book a cruise. And it was already significantly less than our on line US TA quoted us.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

The only substantial seniors discount that we have ever enjoyed was on a cruise booked in Australia. RCI gave us an unexpected $300 seniors discount when we called down to book a cruise. And it was already significantly less than our on line US TA quoted us.

Other than that we do not really care about the 5 or 10 percent off on a cup of coffee, etc. We view it strictly as a marketing ploy to get us oldies through the door and in front of the cash register.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

There is an over 65 discount on Meto Transit in Seattle. $1.00 instead of $2.50. Since I have no car, even though I mostly walk this discount can save me $300 to $450 or so every year. It gets built into the bus pass so there is no slowdown boarding.

I think Metro does well with this. Their bigger issue is riders who pay nothing. Mostly the drivers want to go on living, so they look the other way.

Ha
Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I think Metro does well with this. Their bigger issue is riders who pay nothing. Mostly the drivers want to go on living, so they look the other way.

Ha
Yeah....I wouldn't want to play enforcer of the rules either.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I know what you mean. My wife is always getting "carded".
I've got your solution....just like in college...Fake ID!!!

I get faux outraged when I get the discount without any check of my ID
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
That's what the article is about. Or do you mean the idea in general?
The idea in general.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #93
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
They seem like age discrimination to me.
Of course it is age discrimination.

I assume you mean "illegal" age discrimination. It's not.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using the senior discounts for 7 years and have no guilt. Many seniors have to watch their spending so the discounts are appreciated and used frequently.

As the oldest baby boomer born in 1946 and have cheated death twice, once in the military and once due to cancer. I am happy to have reached senior status and enjoy the discounts but my quality of life would not change if they went away.

Many seniors are relatively well off because they saved and sacrificed along the way and chose to live below their means. This article seems to have an element of whining and generation envy. Income based discounts might be a fairer approach but would be totally unworkable.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Re-Thinking Senior Discounts?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #95

Re-Thinking Senior Discounts?

Went for a much needed haircut on Monday.. It was senior discount day 10% off. I left with a very nice $9 haircut (plus a too generous tip). My first real senior discount ever (Other than AARP) I loved it.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #96

I don't think of it as a marketing "ploy". It is just simple marketing. If a company has a typical markup of 40% and they give seniors a 10% discount. They still make money on every item they sell. Even if senior discounts were a break even, the seniors help tp keep their lights on. They help pay the employees. It goes even further in the company's favor if the Senior discount is on only a specific item, such as "senior coffee" at McD's.

One place where a senior discount would be disadvantageous, is if it were, something like a restaurant where the seniors are taking the last available seat and non-seniors are waiting for a table. In that case, the senior is reducing the "possible profit" Even then, it would be only if the waiting people left before getting a table.

IMO Senior discounts are strictly marketing, not presumed low-income support. I'll take it whenever I can get it. Most of the time, I forget to ask.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
They seem like age discrimination to me.

It sure looks that way, doesn’t it? Our age does put us in a special class. But nobody can give discounts based on race, religion or gender or... Wait! Ladies only happy hour!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

I was at the same grocery store that offered me a discount the other week. This time I asked for it. The employee looked at me a little weird but gave it.

Conclusion: I seem/appear a little perkier today OR the employee was trying to be nice by pretending to “card” me.

But in the end I got a little bit of a break! Getting so much better all the time.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I've got your solution....just like in college...Fake ID!!!

I get faux outraged when I get the discount without any check of my ID
Oh her ID works. But I like the way you think!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ran across this article this morning. It is likely behind a paywall--may get the first read free-- but the essence is that senior discounts should be re-thought as 1) many seniors are well off and 2) others may be in more need...

I will admit I didn't read the article but my immediate thought was what about all those articles we are constantly seeing about the majority of seniors who are not prepared for retirement and have to continue to work or reign in their spending to just the bare essentials? The folks here may be well off by comparison but we are also the exception to the rule.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote