Join Early Retirement Today

Real Estate stumper
Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Real Estate stumper

Since my folks passed away, we have visited our vacation home on a couple of occasions. It’s nice to go there and remember the good times we’ve had with them. But I also get a bit melancholy about it a the same time. My sister feels the same way. So we’re working on selling our deed to the vacation home. But its been more challenging that I thought, it's impossible selling a timeshare, especially when people can get a free 5star vacation for buying a new one from timeshare companies. I don’t even want the money, I just want to move on. Not sure what to do at this point.
mo.donnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Check this link. You may have to register but it's a big organization in the time share world.

Welcome to the board, by the way!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

When my wife's grandmother decided she could no longer afford it, we had to actually give away her timeshare at a Texas campground facility. It was the only way to get someone to pick up the annual assessment that had to be paid. There was no real incentive for anyone to buy hers when they could buy a share more cheaply from the office. She ended paying several thousand dollars for a facility that she and the family used maybe ten times in twenty years.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
You will get pennies on your dollar for a resale. But if you have made the decision, just the savings in annual maintenance should make it worth it. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

hi & welcome. i totally relate to the melancholy thing. i don't know how very monied families manage to live in their estates for generations. i've only been to see my mom's house since i've inherited less than 5 times and only because i had work to do there. i get my work done and leave without lingering. i find it very upsetting. i don't even like to drive through that town anymore.

when i meet my brother for lunch i often have to go to his office which used to be my mom's. i don't know how he works there everyday. i don't even like to visit him there.

i think i mentioned on an earlier post that when my partner died it was 6 months before i went near the intracoastal waterway without even realizing it. one day i found myself going over the bridge when i recalled how much boating we'd done there and how i hadn't even seen water in the 6 months since his death. it is so strong a repulsion for me that i was not even aware that i was avoiding it.

i know they are supposed to make me happy, but for me, the saddest thing about good memories is that they are just memories. i'm better off moving on.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One friend simply stopped making the payments ... what's to foreclose on?

Said the annual dues were the same a week's rental fee ... no value what's so ever. And no repercussions (for not paying).
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
One friend simply stopped making the payments ... what's to foreclose on?

Said the annual dues were the same a week's rental fee ... no value what's so ever. And no repercussions (for not paying).
I suggested to my wife's grandmother that she do the same...don't pay the fee and if they ban her from the campground, so what? But she was very old school when it came to her bills and she wouldn't even consider it. I think the woman would have cut down on food in order to pay those bottom feeders.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
I suggested to my wife's grandmother that she do the same...don't pay the fee and if they ban her from the campground, so what? But she was very old school when it came to her bills and she wouldn't even consider it. I think the woman would have cut down on food in order to pay those bottom feeders.

yes... the old generation would not think of not paying a 'legit' bill....

My dad had bought a small piece of land to build a small warehouse for his business... well, he never did... then he died.. the land was not worth much, maybe $5 to $10K... well, the city decided to widen the street and took out 30 feet in the front and had a special tax assessment of $15K!!! Said the land would be more valuable (even though it was now smaller).... I told her to just let them repo it for not paying taxes.... no such luck... she paid... and then had to keep mowing it for another 10 years before she FINALLY sold it for $5K..

She will now admit she made a mistake on that one..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

If you’re not going there because it makes you sad, then just get rid of it. Search the web for timeshare relief. If you’re not going to the thing, make sure you’re not paying for it either.
she-na-liv is offline   Reply With Quote