Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As David Brennan used to say, 'We drink the artificial lemon drink and put the real lemon oil on our furniture'. Grade B or Dark Amber,past, present and forever!
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #22

What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream, pancake, and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #23

We used to make our own maple syrup when I was a kid. I had to switch to the fake stuff when I was a poor college student, but it's been 100% maple for me since I started getting a real paycheck. I don't eat it often, I'm more of an oatmeal with bananas eater.

DH, on the other hand, prefers the fake stuff. He has pancakes about once a week with that sugary fake syrup.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream and pancake and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.
We have it on fried eggs a couple of times a week for breakfast.
That might be a Quebecois thing.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream and pancake and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.
Really? There are thousands of uses. Maple syrup goes with just about everything. Especially bacon!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Maple syrup sounds wonderful. Pancakes are pretty rare here - regular (Hah!) oatmeal eater. Memories of my childhood though, when Mom would stick some brown sugar in boiling water to pass as syrup for the pancakes. Nothing like pancakes drowned in sweet brownish hot water, right?
We used to use maple syrup to sweeten our oatmeal - that works very well.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #27

Another real maple syrup snob here - grade B preferred. I grew up in Western MD which is one of the southernmost places for maples to give syrup. There's nearly always a good-sized bottle in my luggage when I come back from a visit, but I have to ration it as those visits are now only every couple of years or so.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #28

It's an essential ingredient in (Alton's)
homemade granola. We try to keep a container of this on hand.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #29

All my life I've bought the real thing from small family-owned syrup producers in Vermont. When I was a kid, it was an annual family car trip every Spring to get our annual supply, and I've done that as an adult every time it was convenient. But mostly I mail order it.

We used to have a family making maple syrup in southern Ohio not far away. They encouraged visits during sugaring season and would always wow the kids by drizzling some syrup on freshly fallen snow, then scooping it up into bowls and handing them to the kids with a spoon.

Another long time favorite of mine is using it in my coffee.

I have to be very sparing of it these days because I try to limit my carbs as much as possible, but it's still one of my most favorite flavors.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Really? There are thousands of uses. Maple syrup goes with just about everything. Especially bacon!
Yes the kids agree with you here! Bacon - regular and peameal, sausages, ham...
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #31

Real maple syrup lover here. We always had it growing up. I normally have plain original oatmeal every morning but I have pancakes, French toast or waffles on occasion. I use it in baked beans, sweet potatoes, barbeque sauce, maple icing, maple butter (for toasted pound cake or toast) and on pan fried trout. You don't need a lot of maple syrup for any of these.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in NH and real maple syrup is abundant thankfully. We use it for all kinds of cooking, like others have stated beans, ice cream, oatmeal. The B grade, or whatever they call it now, is my favorite with lots of maple flavor. I think it comes toward the end of the season just before the trees bud out.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #33

I have been enjoying the maple syrup from Aldi. Not a connoisseur so some may not find it up to par. But it meets my expectations for flavor and price.

Just read some uses MS for my homebrew. No specific plans right now but it will be an option.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How about pig candy??

Take some maple syrup, brown sugar maybe some cayenne or cinnamon and mix together, many recipes online. Coat some bacon thoroughly, place on rack in oven, bake @ 350 degrees about 30-45 minutes. Let cool. For real extravagance, drizzle or dip in chocolate.

You're welcome in advance.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The in-laws have a pretty good size sugar house up in northern NH. About 6-7000 taps all piped to a vacuum tank and pumped up to the sugar house. Needless to say we always have maple syrup in the house!
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Try this one:

1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Vermont maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola or whatever)
2 tbsp of Italian Salad Dressing spices (1 envelope....I make my own knock-off)

Mix in a salad dressing cruet and enjoy.... good the day it is made be even better if refrigerated overnight

It will keep of a few weeks.

I also use with BBQ sauce on ribs... in baked beans instead of molasses... numerous uses.

Making sugar on snow is a nice wintertime project with kids. See Vermont Maple Recipes-Bushee Family Maple Farm Kitchen

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #37

The fake stuff is mostly corn syrup and artificial flavors. But it's much sweeter tha real maple syrup, so if you're looking for very sweet liquid to pour over your pancakes, you might think the fake stuff is better. I like the taste of real maple syrup, but I do recognize that it's a very subtle taste, and not all that sweet.

I never used to be a pancake person because it's not exactly health food. But I discovered the Kodiak cake mix at Costco a few months ago. It's a mix of whole grains and protein blend, and only has 190 calories per serving. And the pancakes come out great. I still don't put syrup over them because I don't like to start of my day with a sugar fix, but I do mix in a half of a banana and some chopped walnuts, and they taste great and fill me up for the morning. And they have a lot of protein and fiber in them too.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I use the waffle recipe in the book "Always Hungry" which uses garbanzo bean flour instead of grain flour for waffles. Delicious! Who knew the garbanzo bean flour can substitute so well for wheat flour.

I remember when Mrs. Butterworth was a whole 2% butter in it. I wonder if there is any genuine butter in it today?

Me. I don't use much syrup so when I do I use genuine maple syrup. I figure it maybe costs me an extra $14.73 a year to use real syrup instead of the 'pancake' syrups.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #39

I don't have pancakes that often - but when I do it's either real maple syrup or strawberry preserves. We always have a jug of maple syrup on hand because the kids and hubby all like pancakes.

I've used it as a glaze on ham. Yum!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

For us it is either real maple syrup, I like the grade B too, or a thin spread of honey. When I was a kid it was always Log Cabin, been using the real stuff ever since I first tried it.

But one thing I cannot find anywhere now is Buckwheat pancake mix. It used to be available in grocery stores when I was a kid. It is my favorite. Had it one time a few years ago at a Fireman's Pancake Lunch (the Firemen made pancakes for the kids to raise money for a charity) The pancakes were great! Why does nobody eat that anymore. I could not even find it at Trader Joes. What is wrong with the world now!