Real Problem... Need some help.

lifeisfun

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I'm 17 years old, and I have to go about getting a social security number, on my own. I've never really done anything on my own, so, this is kind of scarey. Here's my problem...

My parents never got a social security card for me as a child, and I'm having, now, to apply for one. I already went into the office and filled out the paperwork, and application, and gave over the required documents, but my question is; what is the possibility of me not getting a Social Security number? I'm a senior in high school, who plans to go to college, and plans to get a job, and this is VERY important to me... Please help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the forum. Petty bureaucrats are scary - I agree :)
But unless they lead you to believe that there was a problem, you should get an SS number.

There is a load of info on the SS website - you may find something there, useful.

I might be wrong, but I thought the only requirement to get a social security number was being a US citizen. As long as you have that satisfied I can't see why they would deny yours.

I'd think they would LOVE to give you a SS#.. that means you are in the system and now will be obliged to do all those fun things like pay taxes!!

If you were born in the US, I wouldn't worry one bit. I don't know about the grey area of non-citizens.

lifeisfun, I'm sure you'll get one with no hassle -- I assume you're a citizen or can legally work in the US. Count on the federal government to never turn down a chance to get into your wallet or even just keep a close eye on you. :)

Coach

Hi, I'm 17 years old, and I have to go about getting a social security number, on my own. I've never really done anything on my own, so, this is kind of scarey. Here's my problem...

My parents never got a social security card for me as a child, and I'm having, now, to apply for one. I already went into the office and filled out the paperwork, and application, and gave over the required documents, but my question is; what is the possibility of me not getting a Social Security number? I'm a senior in high school, who plans to go to college, and plans to get a job, and this is VERY important to me... Please help me out if you can.

Thanks,

The probability of not getting a social security number is essentially zero, if you supplied the required documents as you say you did.

I got my social security card for myself at the same age, and it was a whole lot easier than the other difficulties and challenges that seniors in high school face from day to day such as applying for college, or showing up to take the S.A.T.'s at the right place and time. If you memorize your social security number right from the start, and if you are careful not to lose your card, you probably won't have to go back there for many years.

I still have the original card that was given to me when I was 17, back in 1965.

Congratulations on your first steps into adulthood.

Two suggestions to protect your SS number (which will follow you for the rest of your life) --
  1. PLEASE DO NOT KEEP YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD IN YOUR WALLET/PURSE. Memorize your SS number. You do not need to and should not carry your SS card with you day to day -- you will need it only to show to a potential employer or for other tax-related purposes. If you happen to lose your wallet, a thief can destroy your credit for years ahead by stealing your identity...very easy to do if they have SS number and a driver's license or other state issued i.d. and/or a credit card.
  2. BE VERY CAUTIOUS ABOUT GIVING OUT YOUR SS NUMBER. As noted above, you do have to provide your SS number to potential/current employers, financial institutions, etc. -- for tax related purposes. Many other places (e.g., doctor's offices, schools, health insurance companies) have routinely used SS numbers as i.d. numbers in the past, potentially exposing thousands of people to possible problems. IF you are asked to provide your SS number for any purpose like this, ASK why they need this number and how it will be protected. Many times, the last four numbers of your SS number (e.g., xxx-xx-1234) are sufficient for identity purposes -or- you may be able to provide an alternative number (i.e., one you make up)

Welcome to the board, LIF. I think.

Thanks,
It seems odd that your family didn't want to be able to claim you as a dependent for all those years. When were dependent's SS numbers required to be included on tax returns... 1991?

There also seems to be a slight calendar confusion in your profile:
Date of Birth:
April 3, 1985

Since your profile also claims:
State:
Arkansas

... perhaps the moderators would be kind enough to check IP addresses against other poster accounts. Like, oh, say, for example, Azanon.

Welcome to the board, LIF. I think.

It seems odd that your family didn't want to be able to claim you as a dependent for all those years. When were dependent's SS numbers required to be included on tax returns... 1991?

Before that, now that you mention it. My daughter was born in 1978, and we had to get a social security number for her when she was little. I would guess maybe in 1984, but I am not totally certain on the year.

There also seems to be a slight calendar confusion in your profile:
Date of Birth:
April 3, 1985

Since your profile also claims:
State:
Arkansas

... perhaps the moderators would be kind enough to check IP addresses against other poster accounts. Like, oh, say, for example, Azanon.

Then in November 1986, the age would have been 1.... in November (1986+21)=2007, the age would be (1+21) = 22, right?

(befuddled) :confused:

ETA: OHHHHH... so the poster is NOT 17!! Good catch!

Welcome.

Hmmmm, I have 4 grandkids (oldest age 16), all of whom have s/s numbers because it is required for school and certainly required in order for my daughter to count them as dependents for income tax purposes. They all got s/s numbers when they were either babies or very young toddlers.

Color me befuddled too :confused: .

TG

Back
Top Bottom