Really a good read here. Quite good today Friedman NYtimes.

I have nothing to add.........because it's stupid.........how does it help the USA?

Believe it or not, stuff like this is carried in Muslim countries all the time. So this will help our standing in the world?

Believe it or not, stuff like this is carried in Muslim countries all the time. So this will help our standing in the world?

Why would you think that helping the US is one of his goals?

The whole thing is pretty stupid. Hopefully Mr Friedman is happy to be a journalist in the USA. Had he been an Iranian writing for one of their papers I doubt he would find himself so funny.

This article points out things that ae obviously true. So why the defensiveness? If we had any non-corrupt politics left in our country we might turn back from our collision course with disaster. Heads in the sand till the bitter end. And it may be bitter.

ha

Hey Iran! - translate this:

'God Looks after Drunkards, Fools and The United States of America.'

heh heh heh - I vote for yellow dogs and Democrats! Where is 'give em hell Harry - now that we need him?' :D:D Democracy and Mr Market are messy but they do have self correcting mechanisms.

I still haven't read his latest book.

Friedman is a pretty sharp guy.

I didn't bother to read the full article. But I did read enough of it to catch the sarcasm and the commentary that points toward the duplicity of some of our political policies and ignoring programs that take care of us in our own backyard... This seems to be US political problem with both of the major parties in the US.

The piece was thick with rhetoric... but also loaded with some painfully true observations.

This article points out things that ae obviously true. So why the defensiveness? If we had any non-corrupt politics left in our country we might turn back from our collision course with disaster. Heads in the sand till the bitter end. And it may be bitter.

ha

Because I wrote the post.

Some still have a problem with my leanings. But I said nothing on this post.

I just thought it was worthy of discussion. I thought this forum was about that. You know discuss stuff.

Because I wrote the post.

Some still have a problem with my leanings. But I said nothing on this post.

I just thought it was worthy of discussion. I thought this forum was about that. You know discuss stuff.

Great Post and Great Read!

Continue speaking your mind and hopefully WE ALL can be more tolerant.

GOD BLESS

I enjoyed the article and emailed it to my brother. I don't understand the apparent anger in some of you?

I enjoyed the article and emailed it to my brother. I don't understand the apparent anger in some of you?

Could it be, because the truth sometimes hurts? Or maybe it's just because a dove posted it?

The article is a "suppose" piece.

GOD BLESS

If you thought it was worthy of discussion, why did you say "Not much more to add here?"

If you thought it was worthy of discussion, why did you say "Not much more to add here?"

On my part, I thought it spoke for itself.

I have a bad political track record here with many. especially ex military. I am on many ignore lists.

On my part, I thought it spoke for itself.

I have a bad political track record here with many. especially ex military. I am on many ignore lists.

I don't think that is the case. Ha Ha and others support you, publicly or privately.

As a conservative, there are a LOT of things I disagree with President Bush and others on. I grew up in a heavily Democratic family, but my parents always gave sound reasons and logic in their reasons for supporting Democratic candidates. IMHO, it is rare that you present solid analysis as to why you agree with the piece or article.

I get it..........YOU DISLIKE BUSH! ;)

Last edited:
I don't think that is the case. Ha Ha and others support you, publicly or privately.

As a conservative, there are a LOT of things I disagree with President Bush and others on. I grew up in a heavily Democratic family, but my parents always gave sound reasons and logic in their reasons for supporting Democratic candidates. IMHO, it is rare that you present solid analysis as to why you agree with the piece or article.

Funny, I could care less about Bush. It is a shame that he was what the republicans gave the american people as the choice. Look at the group running in 08. Not impressed with either parties people! Huckabee? Clinton? McCain should be the guy who gets the nomination a true hero, but will the republicans nominate him? Then there is Obama, I like what I see, but again GREEN behind the ears, but then again so what, fresh new ideas? Maybe. I have a problem with Bush I 4 years Clinton 8 years W 8 years Clinton Wife 4 or 8 more? Heck another Bush could run down the road. Very marginal people on both families. I think america can do better.

I am still thinking Obama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still thinking Obama.

Obama will not get the nomination..........Bill Clinton is STILL popular and some folks would love to get him back into the White House, one way or another.

The true test is whether the USA is ready for a woman in the White House.

As a Repubican, I can find plenty to dislike about pretty much everyone but Fred Thompson................:p

Using the word Hate is a little extreme and it makes the one making the accusation seem like a small person, who can not win their agrument, thus they respond with name calling and with assuming that someone hates.

Folks it time to quit this practice as it does nothing to further the conversation.

GOD BLESS

Last edited:
Using the word HATE is little extreme and it makes the one making the accusation seem like a small person, who can not win their agrument, thus they respond with name calling and with assuming that someone hates.

Folks it time to quit this practice as it does nothing to further the conversation.

GOD BLESS

Funny, I never in all my years posting here ever said I hated the president.( Finance Dude )Think about this, IF a guy like Bush was NOT the son of a former president would you pay much attention to him ? Would he ever have become president?

The guy is well average at best. He got control of his demons, booze and stuff so thats great for him however, he is a lightweight and the country will have to dig itself out of the mess for a long time to come.

Oh well, like I said before I am now someplace where I can sit back and observe. Its ugly out there.

I was a little too strong, so I changed it to dislike. My apologies for too strong a language...........:)

I agree Bush Jr. is a lighweight compared to his dad. Remember the "Two Presidents for the Price of One" bumper stickers from the 2000 campaign? Didn't work out quite like that.......

The political landscape is a nightmare, and it pisses me off. I am still on the soapbox that the Senate is the real problem, too many long-term Senators that seem out of touch with reality........I mean it seems like every Senator is 100 years old........

Here's an idea: TERM limits for the Senate.......what a concept!!

I was a little too strong, so I changed it to dislike. My apologies for too strong a language...........:)

I agree Bush Jr. is a lighweight compared to his dad. Remember the "Two Presidents for the Price of One" bumper stickers from the 2000 campaign? Didn't work out quite like that.......

The political landscape is a nightmare, and it pisses me off. I am still on the soapbox that the Senate is the real problem, too many long-term Senators that seem out of touch with reality........I mean it seems like every Senator is 100 years old........

Here's an idea: TERM limits for the Senate.......what a concept!!

Finance Dude, Please do not edit my posts. I am sure that the others in this forum would agree with my request.

By the way I changed the wording in my post back to hate. The post loses it meaning when the word is changed from hate to dislike.

Apology accepted - Thank you. I do agree with you that HATE was to strong of a word to use in your reply to newguy. Dislike is more acceptable.

As for term limits for our representatives in Congress that will never happen as long as they are the deciders. By the state of affairs in the U.S it appears that neither the Congress or Old George W are listening to the needs and wants of our people.

GOD BLESS

Last edited:
Finance Dude, Please do not edit my posts. I am sure that the others in this forum would agree with my request.
Sorry........

As for term limits for our representatives in Congress that will never happen as long as they are the deciders. By the state of affairs in the U.S it appears that neither the Congress or Old George W are listening to the needs and wants of our people.

I guess I am in a minority.........I feel that the President is more of a figurehead than making stuff happen. After all, he can't pass legislation, and vetoes can be over-ridden..............:p

I often wonder what would happen if all the Senators had to live the "real American's" world, instead of the cushy protected world they live in.

I hear Tatoo calling from Fantasy Island, supper is being served to the US Senate...............:p

................. Here's an idea: TERM limits for the Senate.......what a concept!!

At the risk of hijacking a hijacked thread - we voted for term limits for Michigan legislators and have been paying the consequences. It is like having a kindergarten class, instead of a legislature. Now they really have got us - if we vote off the term limits, we are stuck with these children and if we don't, the problem continues!

IMHO the issue is really campaign funding. If it costs a billion dollars for a presidential campaign, the candidate will end up owned by the largest contributors. Alternatively if every American kicked in $3 (a gallon of cheap gas) we would have candidates that worked for us.

Rant / hijack ended.

At the risk of hijacking a hijacked thread - we voted for term limits for Michigan legislators and have been paying the consequences. It is like having a kindergarten class, instead of a legislature. Now they really have got us - if we vote off the term limits, we are stuck with these children and if we don't, the problem continues!

IMHO the issue is really campaign funding. If it costs a billion dollars for a presidential campaign, the candidate will end up owned by the largest contributors. Alternatively if every American kicked in $3 (a gallon of cheap gas) we would have candidates that worked for us.

Rant / hijack ended.

So the dreaded "campaign financing reform" surfaces again?? :p:p

No go back to term limits - I wanna hear your suggestions on this one! ;)

How come the House only has 2 year terms, but the Senate has 6 year terms?

I suggest the following:

1)4 year terms for all Senators

2)A limit of 5 4-year terms, they do NOT have to be served in succession.

My opinion? If you couldn't get it done after 20 years, it ain't gettin' done by you........;)

Back
Top Bottom