Really dumb IPod question.

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
Really never grasped the fascination with IPods. What am I missing? You can use ut to store names, addresses and phone numbers. You can retrieve e-mail with it, I believe. Can you get on the internet and read this forumn? How do you manage that. Wouldn't you have to subscribe to a wireless service to get e-mail and internet service? I know you can download stuff from your computer on it. Don't know how useful that is. What else does it do and how?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Its a music player. I have a basic one that is a year or so old and it has perhaps a dozen CDs loaded into it with room for many more. Plays them back in perfect digital quality. Perfect for my commute.

Yes, I see I was wrong. Just went on about.com and read up on them. See I told you it was a dumb question. I thought you could get e-mail on them. What a numb skull. Now I know I don't want one.

Its a music player.

Funny thing is that I use it more for listening to 'podcasts' than I do for music. I listen to the NY Times Columnists (David Brooks, Tom Friedman, Paul Krugman, and Nicholas Kristof), and several NPR shows (Science Friday). For trips on a plane David Mccullough 's '1776' puts me right out.

My husband has only podcasts on his iPod, like JB. I borrowed it and put music on it to take to a lengthy, painful medical appointment. Now I wince when I hear the sound track to Amelie--Pavlov's patient? :LOL:

I love my iPod. It's a 60 gig MP3/video player and I use it everyday. I'm a music hound and have downloaded all my CDs to it and currently have over 5000 songs on it with about 1000 photos. A few TV shows, no movies. It goes everywhere I go. I have a car adapter for it and small ($25!) portable speakers. It wasn't cheap, but it's lovely. It still has room for about 4000 more songs, so it should be the only one I need for years and years and years.

modhatter said:
Really never grasped the fascination with IPods.  What am I missing?  You can use ut to store names, addresses and phone numbers.  You can retrieve e-mail with it, I believe.  Can you get on the internet and read this forumn? How do you manage that.  Wouldn't you have to subscribe to a wireless service to get e-mail and internet service?  I know you can download stuff from your computer on it.  Don't know how useful that is.  What else does it do and how?

You have described the functions of a Blackberry.  Besides e-mail, web browsing, address book, you can use it as a phone and an alarm clock.  Yes, you can read this forum with a Blackberry.

Oh, it works all over the world ... including the phone.

I have over 3000 songs on mine and I use it mostly at work, but also in the car on long trips. My husband uses his for podcasts and listening to books.

Back
Top Bottom