Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried

A current favorite (healthy) snack:

Attachments

• Mojo.jpg
    Mojo.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
Liga Rusks. Used to love them while growing up in Ireland....

liga_brand_main.jpg

In the UK, a similar product, Farley's rusks are dry biscuits dating from the 1880s but manufactured by Heinz since 1994. They are given to infants, sometimes soaked in milk and mashed up. They have a cult following among university students.

But I always preferred Liga....

.....and then there are Jacob's Cream Crackers......which I missed while in the US, but you can get them in Canada.......

banner-crackers.gif

Heartstopping Irish breakfast with rashers & sausages, fried eggs....

galtee-bf-news.jpg

and the oh so delicious Black Pudding (aka blood sausage): mmmmmgood!

Clonakilty Food Company

clon1b.jpg

My American cousins still smuggle them into the US.....

Li hing mui (crack seed), a Chinese/Hawaiian snack which I haven't experienced since I was a teenager back home in Hawaii. Sweet, salty, spicy... yum! Intense flavor but I suppose not much substance.

Basically I think it is probably dried, salted, spicy fruit with the seed still in (good to suck on after the fruit is gone).

What's the outside of a sausage if not intestine?
I'm not a big fan of tripe (stomach).

I think most sausage casings nowadays are man-made, and not intestine. And then, the old-time intestine casing is so thin that I would think they use only the tougher outer membrane, else it would look like chitlins. More knowledgeable members, please correct me if I am wrong.

About using sheep stomach for haggis, I think they do not eat the casing, but I may be wrong. I have not been to Scotland, only saw it on TV.

About tripe, yes, they eat it in Europe. We traveled with a German friend to Spain, and she ordered it in a Galician restaurant in Madrid. She got excited while waiting for her stew-like dish, saying she had not had tripe for a while. I asked for a bite and it was tender, the taste coming more from the sauce, tripe being bland by itself.

Hmmm - ??

Keo Me Thai Lan Sweet Candy.

She accidentily got some with her other stuff down in New Orleans - Vietnamese market.

Interesting but some pieces have a hard brown seed in them and other pieces don't.

I'm not going to rush out to get more - but interesting anyway - I think?

heh heh heh - :cool:

fine print says tamarind flavor.

Tamarind is a large tree, with seeded pods. See picture. Tamarind is very common throughout Asia.

Attachments

• Tamarind.jpg
    Tamarind.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 144
If I'm going to drink soda, it has to be this one:

31K169AT3YL._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Vernor's ginger ale is the best! If you're from Michigan, you know about this stuff. It seems to be spreading a bit, though. We can get it in the grocery stores in KY. Comes in diet, too.

Had Vernor's as a kid in IL, I do seem to remember that it was a MI thing, don't remember if it got smuggled in or not. Great stuff.

Have not had the Goya brand, but World Market carries some Jamaican Ginger Ales in a champagne-type bottle - very, very good stuff. I rarely drink soda, but will have good Ginger Ale (or Root Beer) occasionally.

... it is almost sacrilege on this forum to admit this, but I buy this and like it a lot:
View attachment 4166

I also love bacon but I find the veggie bacon strips easier to cook.

veggie bacon strips ??!!! Ok, that proves there is no god!

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f50/do-you-believe-god-anonymous-poll-37555-3.html

;) -ERD50

Since you are from Pa. ,do you eat shoo fly pie ? I hate it but my Dad loved it .

In the "old days" I did.

Since I'm T2 diabetic (from my AO exposure in Nam), I've had to give up a lot of the "good stuff :rant: ...

However, if's low in carbs (e.g. "meat" - especially "bloody" :D ) I certainly enjoy it (that's why I like steak tartare - even if other people "don't understand")

- Ron

I do have to try haggis someday. I eat things such as mammal heart and tongue and brains, and bird hearts and gizzards and feet. Don't care for liver. Rabbit, squirrel, venison, bison... One of the vendors at the local farmers' market has goat meat.

I wonder what raccoon tastes like.

My neighbor goes hunting for various things and gives me 'Bambi burgers' fresh off the grill.

Khan, I just now notice the words highlighted above. Squirrels may be just like nutrias, being rodents. I have yet to try nutrias, but they may be as large as 20lbs, and meaty. Pictures on the web show pink meat, looking like rabbit, which I have not had in decades.

But squirrels? They are way way too small ! In other countries, even little sparrows are game. I have no doubt that they may be tasty morsels, but any smaller than quails, it becomes too much work, particularly if you have to clean it yourself. By the way, Oriental food markets usually carry farm-raised quails, all cleaned and ready to roast. Yum.

About trading your cucumbers for Bambi burgers, you are way ahead!

But squirrels? They are way way too small !

You haven't tried squirrel stew? Very nice, if you don't think about it too much. Plus, as you suggest, I think it is a good weight reduction food for the chef--killing, cleaning, preparing, chewing, and digesting a squirrel has got to consume more calories than it provides.

I had a wonderful beef heart and tripe soup at a Vietnamese place.

I'm not sure I'd call that odd or anything though... it's a pretty popular place.

I've had a chance to try chocolate covered crickets and cicada popcorn but have passed on both of those.

Smelts: battered and deep-fried and eaten bones and all.

Roast goose: keep it caged for a couple days and feed it grain to make sure to get any fish out of its system; save the fat, the best thing ever for frying potatoes.

Sometimes in the spring, the cows would eat lots of green onions and then produce onion milk; local Latvian immigrants would buy it and make onion butter.

You haven't tried squirrel stew?

My favorite cook book is the original Joy of Cooking, which includes such items as how to skin and clean a squirrel. Apparently that stuff was taken out of later revisions, as were the bits and pieces associated with entertaining in the 50's and 60's.

When I wear one out I have to go find used copies in excellent condition.

You haven't tried squirrel stew? Very nice, if you don't think about it too much. Plus, as you suggest, I think it is a good weight reduction food for the chef--killing, cleaning, preparing, chewing, and digesting a squirrel has got to consume more calories than it provides.

I used to work with a guy who liked to hunt. He would bring in squirrel stew, rabbit stew, whatever he had killed the last few days, that would be lunch. I tried to eat before or after him.

Ah, ginger beer! So hard to find, but so good.

The very best steak I have ever eaten was reindeer in a restaurant in Copenhagen many years ago.

Hey, UncleMick! I am now making my own boudin up here in Calgary, experimenting with peppers for the spice. Keeps me out of trouble.

... killing, cleaning, preparing, chewing, and digesting a squirrel has got to consume more calories than it provides.

Hey, a man doesn't always eat for calories. It's the taste, or at least the experience... But I am also basically lazy, and my wife wouldn't do it for me...

A friend of mine likes to drink light beer. I prefer strong Belgian beer, but he said he got to satisfy his oral fixation (his words).

To each his own. I always try not to criticize anyone.

I prefer strong Belgian beer, but he said he got to satisfy his oral fixation (his words).

Best keep away from this guy.

Best keep away from this guy.

Have known him since college. Then, ended up at the same megacorp 10 years after graduation. Still work with him. He has not caused anybody any harm. Not that I know of anyway :)

P.S. To avoid another post, I answer CFB's post below by adding postscript here.

I am dense, so do not know what you and T-Al are alluding to.

I am dense, so do not know what you and T-Al are alluding to.

He likes to stick things in his mouth. Stay away from him. Unless you're looking for that. Then buy him a beer.

I could further illustrate this by mentioning that my wife was a flutist and played the sax... but I won't go there.

Back
Top Bottom